Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] hood window

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 PM
nightflyer
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Default hood window

Does anyone know what adhesive Chevrolet uses to glue the hood window . I'm replacing the window due to a large scratch and I need to know what kind of glue is used to attach the window to the hood. TIA,

gary
Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Its just window urethane
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 AM
nightflyer
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I tried that and the next day after I drove the car for about an hour...it came loose...I'm not sure the window urethane has the proper heat tolerance!!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:46 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by nightflyer
I tried that and the next day after I drove the car for about an hour...it came loose...I'm not sure the window urethane has the proper heat tolerance!!
Well Whatcop? and I have both had our hood windows replaced with a louvered vent, and the stuff they used to attach the new piece is windshield urethane. Now, it's possible the hood needs to be prepped a certain way, or the urethane needs to set for a certain period of time, or... something. But that's all it is.

jas
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 AM
nightflyer
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I used a 3M product and it stuck to the hood fine, but it didn't stick to the window at all. Initially it did, but when it came loose you couldn't see any evidence that it was ever glued in. I'll try and find another type and go with it. Thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd like to know the process for swapping the window as I'm planning on the louvered vent. I know Whatcop out up a nice picture and a brief description of how he did it, but I was wondering if piano wire or some other process would separate the window, then how to prep the vent and hood for the windshield urethane, so everything sticks together good?

In short, is this is a DIY project or do I have to find a good shop like Jas to put it on? I don't want it painted, matte black is fine, but I also don't trust most shops in the area to do it right without dinging up the CF hood, etc.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I don't want it painted, matte black is fine
Please note: the piece I got from Zip wasn't matte black, it was a dull white color. So if you want it to be matte black, it'll still need to be painted.

jas
Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 PM
frc
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Urethane requires the use of a primer.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,390 Likes on 682 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Is anybody making a neat, '70s style shaker hood assembly and scoop to stick on top of the intercooler yet?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
Is anybody making a neat, '70s style shaker hood assembly and scoop to stick on top of the intercooler yet?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:42 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

The window urethane I received from ACS Composites if I am correct was a primer and urethane in one. The actual glue was black if that helps any.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 PM
nightflyer
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

went to a supply house today and told the salesman my situation. He recommended a DOW adhesive and a separate primer, he told me to never use 3M urethane adhesive. So, I started all over this afternoon and the window is in place. Tomorrow I'm driving to Pensacola from Birmingham for Vettes on the Beach and hopefully the window will stay in place.

As far as removing the original, it really wasn't that big of a deal. I used wide blade trim knife, the kind you get that you can snap off the used tip. I started at the bottom left side and worked my way around the corner going vertical. After I was able to cut enough to see day light I place a small screw driver in it and just started working away from the screw driver. Once you get a little working room it goes pretty fast.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:43 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nightflyer
went to a supply house today and told the salesman my situation. He recommended a DOW adhesive and a separate primer, he told me to never use 3M urethane adhesive. So, I started all over this afternoon and the window is in place. Tomorrow I'm driving to Pensacola from Birmingham for Vettes on the Beach and hopefully the window will stay in place.

As far as removing the original, it really wasn't that big of a deal. I used wide blade trim knife, the kind you get that you can snap off the used tip. I started at the bottom left side and worked my way around the corner going vertical. After I was able to cut enough to see day light I place a small screw driver in it and just started working away from the screw driver. Once you get a little working room it goes pretty fast.
Good info. I just ordered the vent hood from zip. Jas, you were right, it is a nasty dull white color, so I guess I'll have to paint it either way. I'll have to decide whether I'm willing to do it myself (and most likely jack something up) or find a good shop I can trust to do it.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM
nightflyer
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Drove from Birmingham to Pensacola today and the window is tight as ever...wish I had known about that primer thing the first time but it has been a learning experience.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
yes - 1973 pontiac trans am style or 1970 plymouth cuda -- lower profile- maybe it could be rigged up with induction somehow. with a flap that would open and close. The intake noise would be a real head turner.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
yes - 1973 pontiac trans am style or 1970 plymouth cuda -- lower profile- maybe it could be rigged up with induction somehow. with a flap that would open and close. The intake noise would be a real head turner.
You answered yes..so who makes one?

Get notified of new replies

To hood window

Quick Reply: [ZR1] hood window