Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Carbon Fiber Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 AM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Carbon Fiber Wheels

I just received an info email from Katech stating:
"Our friends at Halltech have been working on putting together a group of people to buy the first batch of pure carbon fiber 19/20" wheels for the Corvette C6/Z06/ZR1/GS. Carbon fiber wheels are the holy grail for us weight nuts.

Estimated weight (based on other wheels they've made close in size):
19": 13lbs
20": 19lbs

Price: $15,000/set"

Now that is cool and would compliment the ZR1's looks so well! I have no idea how I could get the significant other to understand "the need"!

Anyone out there tried any carbon wheels before? Give opinions... I.E. Feel, street durability compared to stock, pics?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

the only thing stopping my girlfriend from buying those is the $15000

personally I can't imagine not worrying about getting them damaged on a DD not to mention getting them mounted and balanced..I know some competent folks but even then I would think there would be a waiver for damages within reason.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pewter99
the only thing stopping my girlfriend from buying those is the $15000

personally I can't imagine not worrying about getting them damaged on a DD not to mention getting them mounted and balanced..I know some competent folks but even then I would think there would be a waiver for damages within reason.
OMG, I'd worry every trip outta the garage!

I was thinking how these would be a "no way" due to your reasons until I started thinking how they could be just an extension of more of the same of which the demographic for a ZR1 is based... Just one more toy,... please?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6Nut
OMG, I'd worry every trip outta the garage!

I was thinking how these would be a "no way" due to your reasons until I started thinking how they could be just an extension of more of the same of which the demographic for a ZR1 is based... Just one more toy,... please?
We have done a couple back in the day with DYMAG whom used to do the same thing and were about the same price but there were too many issues with them and they cracked etc etc. DYMAG went out of business.

HRE has new Carbon Wheels that weigh about 15 lbs for 19" and run about 20k but have been in the works for years and have been researched and tested in and OUT.

I definitely wouldn't be the first to try out a new Carbon Wheel on the track at 200+ MPH with any new wheel technology.

I'm very comfortable with the new HRE Carbon Series just based on how well they test and cover their bases being a performance first wheel manufacturer.

Definitely interested in seeing both wheels in action and more data accumulated than just raw statistics. Definitely the weight savings is mind blowing and would be a huge performance boost. If your wallet can handle the Price Tag go for it. We have several orders already for the HRE CARBON SERIES mostly for the newer Ferrari's, but I do expect to do a few ZR1s and/or modded Z06s but nothing yet.
Attached Images  

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Last edited by CW4L; 04-11-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

It almost seems ridiculous to put the extra weight of a run flat tire on the cabon wheel except for keeping it from disintegrating if a hazard occurs. The weight savings of the wheel with a tire like the Nitto should be noticeably different.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6Nut
It almost seems ridiculous to put the extra weight of a run flat tire on the cabon wheel except for keeping it from disintegrating if a hazard occurs. The weight savings of the wheel with a tire like the Nitto should be noticeably different.
The only issue being that the reason for the Carbon wheel is a High HP application and NITTOs are not going to hold the road at ALL for you in a 19/20 setup.

And again there won't be many shops that will even touch these wheels besides the Dealers selling them. You'll pay more for the Dealer to mount and balance the tires for you, and if you have an issue probably going to be one of those costly shipping exercises back and forth. None of the local shops are going to mess with 20k wheels and be liable for a $150 mount and balance fee.

Last edited by CW4L; 04-11-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber Wheels

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Carbon Fiber Wheels