Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Bad news.. Oil leak/puddle. Right after spirited drive

Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Mar48
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not an Oil leak/puddle..... A/C Condensation

So just got my Z yesterday... Test drove it and looked it over but didn't notice anything wrong. Well, after driving today a little spirited about 4 miles one way and 4 back (not WOT the whole time but a few pulls) I got home and noticed a tapping/dripping noise - which only start once turning off the car.

Low and behold it's oil.. Went on for about 10-15 min just drips. No oil burning smell or nothing. Engine block/surrounding area looks clean under the hood. But it drips right on the passenger side cat. Haven't been able to get it under a jackstand yet but the oil is dripping right underneath the bottom of the windshield/on the pass. side cart pipe right near the cat itself.

The car is still under powertrain warranty so it's more of an inconvenience then anything.

Anyway, what does it sound like to you guys? I read about some issues with the oil pan and oil pump.. Also, need to make sure all the lines are secure.

EDIT: It was the A/C condensation after all - no leaking oil!!!! It was actually a terrible coincidence that the A/C condensation was on top of an old oil spill from my A6 2.7T (Audi 2.7T's are notorious for leaking oil)

Last edited by Mar48; 03-25-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: stupid mistake... no oil is leaking.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some part of the dry sump system, located right above where you describe.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

this is unlikely, but maybe the filler cap or dipstick wasn't snugged-down all the way...
and a small amount of oil seeped out of the top of the sump tank ?
Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Mar48
Racer

No none on top near the cap or dipstick
Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Mar48
Racer

Other than being a big inconvenience do you think it would hurt to drive the car as is? The dealer drove the car twice to me over 50 miles away.. I was planning to just garage it until I could drop it off at the dealership this week.. It is annoying though bc I just got the car and wanted to enjoy it

Also, I didn't notice much after going on a few test rides yesterday (only saw the oil spot from yesterday after I noticed the dripping today)... but today I was running a few errands so I started and stopped the engine probably about 6 times in a 30 min period, not sure if that would explain more leaking.

Last edited by Mar48; 05-18-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Check the oil level !!!

DH
Old 05-18-2013, 09:46 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Find out from forum members in you area who to trust to work on your car could be loose hose connection. Have you checked oil level need to drive it get it hot and let it set for about 10 minutes before you check it. Could dealer over filled it that is not draining both drain plugs. Pull up of valve cover pass side and see if they knocked out the oil fill plug. This would be a sign of someone not knowing how to fill and drain the dry sump you have 2 plugs in oil pan both need to be removed one only lets out about a quart or so this how they get overfilled and blow up. Oh and if dealer drove car to you, how was it driven you will never know.
z51vett
Doug
Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 AM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Maybe when you picked the car up at the dealer.....They filled and spilled a little oil on their final fluid check?????????
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's condensation from your air conditioner dripping on the passenger side exhaust. Totally normal. It makes a sound when it hits the pipe too. If it were oil dripping there, believe me, you would smell it. You only notice it when you shut the engine off only after the A/C compressor has been on.

Last edited by JJC5; 05-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Beast5spdGTA
Instructor

Originally Posted by JJC5
It's condensation from your air conditioner dripping on the passenger side exhaust. Totally normal. It makes a sound when it hits the pipe too. If it were oil dripping there, believe me, you would smell it. You only notice it when you shut the engine off only after the A/C compressor has been on.
This was exactly what I was thinking. A car leaking oil will leave some oil drops on the floor and they won't evaporate completely leaving a brown stain.

It looks like this:

After you do this for 20 min:
Old 05-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Mar48
Racer

hahaha you guys are completely right... I did wipe the area last night and it's over where my audi parks (which does leak actual oil because the valve cover gaskets are bad) and I mustve wiped a mix of the water with the old oil leaving a brown spot on my paper towel..

I took the car for a easy ride today, got back, let it pool up, and then pushed the car off the spot and it was all perfectly clear liquid. Dumb mistake!!!

Now, I still think it's a large amount than usual the puddle is LARGE. Like 12" by 5". Or is that normal? I tried looking for leaks, haven't jacked it up yet but I could not see where the drop are originating.

BIG relief! I was like how would I have not noticed such a big oil leak the first time driving (didnt use the A/C except very briefly yesterday bc I actually test drove the car a few weeks ago when it was 45-50 degrees out).

Last edited by Mar48; 05-19-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Mar48
Racer

After researching it a bit, my big puddle does not seem like something to worry about:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-leak-wth.html

Wow, talk about relief... I was like how could I miss something so big when inspecting the car.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JJC5
I think he is right (hope so)......

Get notified of new replies

To Bad news.. Oil leak/puddle. Right after spirited drive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Bad news.. Oil leak/puddle. Right after spirited drive