Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 from TIKT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:59 PM
coolchevy2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brembo GT3 endurance ultra light with extra thick pads, squeak as a pig and expensive as hell

same are used on the AMG black series taxi

Last edited by coolchevy2; 06-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by coolchevy2
because the ZR1 carbon brakes are simply not good enough for heavy track use. If one just fools around a track they are OK, but heavy track use they become pointless. When pushed to the limit small bits and pieces will break out of rotor surface which means you need more pedal effort to keep same braking performance, that in return breaks more and more small pieces out which again increases your pedal efforts until it starts to fade. Not within short time but if you do long stints.

F.e., 5 really hard laps at Monza/Italy which is a superfast track where you have one turn where you have to slow down from 175 mph to 50 mph and your front wheel bearings start to burn, they get so hot that grease inside will burn as the carbon rotor can not disspate heat very well so it goes into the wheel bearing first. This track is killer on every brake setup, a Z06 Stoxxxxx setup almost melted down beyond repair.

Ask Cölestin from Switzerland, he almost burned down a customers ZR1 there after a few laps.

Hardcore racers will always revert to steel brakes, less fading, much better control and reliabilty.

as I said, hardcore racing, not trackday-fool-around-a-track driving

Just curious, I found this on Facebook today ...

The comment by Brembo on this photo is:
'Montreal is without doubt the most challenging circuit for the braking systems of F1 cars. Here, carbon brake disks - during braking - can reach temperatures close to 1200 °C: much higher than the temperature at which gold melts (1064.8 °C).'
(source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater)

So, out of curiosity my questions are:

Why are the ZR1 cf brakes not good enough while the one shown in the photo apparently is good enough for hardcore use? Is it the difference between the substance (of the cf) for "street use" and F1?
I know that MOV'IT's GEN3 cf rotors (
http://www.movitbrakes.com/produkte/keramikbremsen/?L=5 and http://www.movitbrakes.com/bremsanla...c6-z06-60-ls2/) are different from ZR1 Brembo's. Are they any "better", in your opinion?

Ronald
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald

Just curious, I found this on Facebook today ...

The comment by Brembo on this photo is:
'Montreal is without doubt the most challenging circuit for the braking systems of F1 cars. Here, carbon brake disks - during braking - can reach temperatures close to 1200 °C: much higher than the temperature at which gold melts (1064.8 °C).'
(source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater)

So, out of curiosity my questions are:

Why are the ZR1 cf brakes not good enough while the one shown in the photo apparently is good enough for hardcore use? Is it the difference between the substance (of the cf) for "street use" and F1?
I know that MOV'IT's GEN3 cf rotors (
http://www.movitbrakes.com/produkte/keramikbremsen/?L=5 and http://www.movitbrakes.com/bremsanla...c6-z06-60-ls2/) are different from ZR1 Brembo's. Are they any "better", in your opinion?

Ronald
Someone correct me here if I am wrong....but....

F1 cars, ALMS LMP1 cars, and others using a true carbon brake...are just that..carbon brakes.

The Porsche, Ferrari street cars, and our ZR1's are a Carbon ceramic brake not the same thing as a full carbon brake.

If you follow F1 you here them on the radio's saying watch brake temps? Not only do you have to worry about them getting to hot and wearing to quickly but you have to worry about them getting cold and not working at all. This can be very hard during a long safety car on track and the brakes just simply will not work when they go green.

I do not know how you would run a true carbon brake on a street car and actually be able to stop it.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/2

Last edited by Anthony @ LGMotorsports; 06-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
GSoldman
Racer

what hood is that? , i want that!!!!!been looking at getting a heat extractor hood dont really like any of them. halltechs is my favorite so far but not sure if it will work with my supercharger.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Someone correct me here if I am wrong....but....

F1 cars, ALMS LMP1 cars, and others using a true carbon brake...are just that..carbon brakes.

The Porsche, Ferrari street cars, and our ZR1's are a Carbon ceramic brake not the same thing as a full carbon brake.

If you follow F1 you here them on the radio's saying watch brake temps? Not only do you have to worry about them getting to hot and wearing to quickly but you have to worry about them getting cold and not working at all. This can be very hard during a long safety car on track and the brakes just simply will not work when they go green.

I do not know how you would run a true carbon brake on a street car and actually be able to stop it.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/2
VERY interesting info! Thanks
Old 06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes very interesting!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
coolchevy2
Heel & Toe

Anthony is absolutely right, not everything which is called carbon brake is a carbon brake.

A F1 or true carbon brake in a street car would brake like someone disconnected your vacuum booster if cold but yank your eye ***** out when hot enough in the 400 deg C operating range. Undrivably on the street in simple words.

Had the pleasure to try one of the first MovIts and it was rightout scary when cold like no brake at all.

BTW, Movit is no more........

thus, all street "carbon" brakes are a mixture of various materials to give you decent cold brakes and excellent braking when hot. So it is a compromise of course

and if you would manage to get true carbon brakes up to temps in the streets I can gurantee all your passengers will puke their guts out for sure..........

Last edited by coolchevy2; 06-06-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Anthony is absolutely right, not everything which is called carbon brake is a carbon brake.

A F1 or true carbon brake in a street car would brake like someone disconnected your vacuum booster if cold but yank your eye ***** out when hot enough in the 400 deg C operating range. Undrivably on the street in simple words.

Had the pleasure to try one of the first MovIts and it was rightout scary when cold like no brake at all.

BTW, Movit is no more........

thus, all street "carbon" brakes are a mixture of various materials to give you decent cold brakes and excellent braking when hot. So it is a compromise of course

and if you would manage to get true carbon brakes up to temps in the streets I can gurantee all your passengers will puke their guts out for sure..........
I am happy with experts like you and Anthony on this forum.

Oh, and I didn't know that MOV'IT is out of business. Any known reason for that?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:29 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Not sure if its been asked yet but what's the weight of the car?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Not sure if its been asked yet but what's the weight of the car?
Post # 1: Leergewicht = 1446 kg ~ 3188 lbs.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:09 PM
coolchevy2
Heel & Toe

I think it shaved off a few more unsprung pounds lately, don't know the exact values from wheel scales out of my old head. It is goung back on scales after next weeks Rijeka/Croatia track day
Old 06-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

I think it shaved off a few more unsprung pounds lately, don't know the exact values from wheel scales out of my old head. It is goung back on scales after next weeks Rijeka/Croatia track day
Only the Devil is old.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM
coolchevy2
Heel & Toe

here a few clips from a Nurburgring track day where XXX were toying with some Porsches and other things. Tommy was running with his friend riding shot gun which is a heavy weight penalty in the neighborhood of 100kg.

considering that and the fact that Tommy was not for some time at the NOS missing some practice there he had extremely high speeds at the "Gatter" and managed with lifting (with passenger weight it bounced off tarmac a few times) and stiff wing setting a strong 295 kph at Döttinger Höhe. We are happy with cars performance so far.

check at 13 mins, overtaking a limited production GT3RS 4.0 outside of the banked turn is pretty much the highest penalty.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-7lD...ature=youtu.be

just disregard lap times, due to the F1 GP this weekend they had to go through T13 which means 20mph speed limit through a connecting pitlane. We try some records runs in fall for sure.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

awesome video
Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kristopherbush
awesome video

Tommy is the German Jim Mero.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 AM
OldRoadDawg
Intermediate

check at 13 mins, overtaking a limited production GT3RS 4.0 outside of the banked turn is pretty much the highest penalty.......
The pass between the Porsche and the BMW at the 4:20 mark was ballsy

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 from TIKT Performance