Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Thinking about buying a ZR1, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
steve0827
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a ZR1, have a few questions

Hi everyone,

As the title states, I'm thinking about buying a used ZR1 and I have a few questions.

I'll just list them out so it's easier on the eyes.

1. Are there any issues I should be looking out when buying a used ZR1?

2. Do these cars have any common problems?

3. I'd like to reach around 800hp, what mods would you guys suggest for me to do this? I've seen the LPE750 kit, and I think I might start with that.

If I have any more questions, I'll post them up here.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Avoid 2009 cars if possible

If you can get a 2012-2013 with the new seats they are really nice

You will need headers and small pulley with ported LPE snout and 102mm TB and a ported blower to reach 800hp, but it can be done!

New cars can be had for $100k right now if you look around
Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD

You will need headers and small pulley with ported LPE snout and 102mm TB and a ported blower to reach 800hp, but it can be done!

why is that???
Old 07-08-2013, 07:28 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

all zr1 of any year are great, but i don't think PTM was available until 2011.
Rotor vibrations around 80-85 mph. some have it, some don't, some come and goes.
Other than that I don't find the new seats any better than pre '12.
So it'll come down to colors, price and if you care about PTM or not.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PTM 2010 and up.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM
ace32x
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

ptm isnt worth the increase in price from the 09 to the 10s imo. i got a later model 09 and i love mine.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
why is that???
Crappy stock clutch among other minor issues found far more prevalent on the first year cars
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
turbolou
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reply

Any year is great, get the newest one you can afford just make sure its Red cause they are faster
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is an entirely different approach. I know of at least one magnificent ZR1 that John Caravaggio did extensive upgrades to that was later purchased used by a "prominent" forum member at a great price. When purchasing any used vehicle, be it a car, motorcycle, motorhome, airplane, etc. the original cost of aftermarket mods and upgrades is devalued significantly and in many cases afforded no residual value.

Aftermarket artists/geniuses, like John, typically deal with many very well to do clients that spend big bucks to customize their cars. Many of those same clients tend to tire of their toys quickly. In the case of the one mentioned above the original client asked John to assist in disposition of the "out with the old" ZR1. Perhaps a call to John or another premiere corvette mod shop would yield a lead to a car that has already had many of the mods (engine, interior, carbon fiber, etc.) that you are considering but at a greatly reduced cost over doing them yourself.

The huge advantage of being willing to buy a used vehicle is the opportunity to search for one with as many of the aftermarket adds, that you want, already done.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Test drive the car to ensure it has no front end vibration between 70-82 mph. Other than that, I know of no common/routine problems with the ZR1 (and I'm not sure how prevalent the vibration issue is anymore). Some refinements made in each new model year but as far as I'm concerned, they're all great cars. Me, I would try to find the newest one out there, just to get more warranty peace of mind. Then again, you may not care about warranty since you're after 800 hp. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may be too intelligent to participate in this forum!
Originally Posted by barduch
Here is an entirely different approach. I know of at least one magnificent ZR1 that John Caravaggio did extensive upgrades to that was later purchased used by a "prominent" forum member at a great price. When purchasing any used vehicle, be it a car, motorcycle, motorhome, airplane, etc. the original cost of aftermarket mods and upgrades is devalued significantly and in many cases afforded no residual value.

Aftermarket artists/geniuses, like John, typically deal with many very well to do clients that spend big bucks to customize their cars. Many of those same clients tend to tire of their toys quickly. In the case of the one mentioned above the original client asked John to assist in disposition of the "out with the old" ZR1. Perhaps a call to John or another premiere corvette mod shop would yield a lead to a car that has already had many of the mods (engine, interior, carbon fiber, etc.) that you are considering but at a greatly reduced cost over doing them yourself.

The huge advantage of being willing to buy a used vehicle is the opportunity to search for one with as many of the aftermarket adds, that you want, already done.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
You may be too intelligent to participate in this forum!
Definitely not but, like you, I was smart enough to buy the best, fastest, classiest, easiest to keep clean, stealthiest (probably not a word), color ZR1, Blade Silver. Forgot to mention in my first post to make sure and get Blade Silver.

But, as I have posted before, I would be happy with my ZR1 even if it was Barney Purple.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
JTE
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 4-7, 9 & 10 Veteran

WTF!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 PM
JTE
Melting Slicks

CI 4-7, 9 & 10 Veteran

Crappy stock clutch among other minor issues found far more prevalent on the first year cars
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

please ref that statement because that is news to me/us. Far as i know they all have the same clutch...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Originally Posted by mirage2991
please ref that statement because that is news to me/us. Far as i know they all have the same clutch...
Nope they sure don't and if you drive a 2009 and then a 2010 it is quite easy to tell that they aren't the same, but then again I have driven every model year ZR1 a good amount so I know the differences quite well. The 2009 clutches will probably be fine at stock power levels, but also the general feel of the clutch doesn't compare to the 2010 and newer cars. The transmission shifting was also improved significantly after 2009 as well. There is a reason the 2009 cars are quite a bit cheaper out there, but if that is all you can afford then I am not knocking them.

Just giving OP the info in case he can afford one of the better years when he picks one up. I have no interest in arguing with those whose panties are in a wad because they own a 2009 ZR1 and don't want to hear the truth
Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Nope they sure don't and if you drive a 2009 and then a 2010 it is quite easy to tell that they aren't the same, but then again I have driven every model year ZR1 a good amount so I know the differences quite well. The 2009 clutches will probably be fine at stock power levels, but also the general feel of the clutch doesn't compare to the 2010 and newer cars. The transmission shifting was also improved significantly after 2009 as well. There is a reason the 2009 cars are quite a bit cheaper out there, but if that is all you can afford then I am not knocking them.

Just giving OP the info in case he can afford one of the better years when he picks one up. I have no interest in arguing with those whose panties are in a wad because they own a 2009 ZR1 and don't want to hear the truth
so based on feelings you make a fact statement? no one would argue if you showed that there was a part number change, or even a superseading part number. I don't believe there was such big change, though perhaps subtle changes like different slave cylinders being used.
I'm pretty sure the zr1 received the carbon fiber syncros, which eliminated the hard cold shifts sometime perceived in 08 and ealier z06's.

other than the ptm, hardly any changes were done... launch control on 2010 and up is fun but i wouldn't spend the extra just for it. PTM is usefull for the track and helps build confidence but again, is it really worth the $? that's a personal question.
don't think anyone can go wrong with any 09-13 zr1's!

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about buying a ZR1, have a few questions

Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

here is some facts originally posted by Ranger from this forum, he copied a link for an early production of 09 with a defective clutch spring:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ch-recall.html

it states a vin range so if op looks at 09 it would be easy to see i a particular 09 may or may not have had the issue

Last edited by mirage2991; 07-09-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Originally Posted by mirage2991
so based on feelings you make a fact statement? no one would argue if you showed that there was a part number change, or even a superseading part number. I don't believe there was such big change, though perhaps subtle changes like different slave cylinders being used.
I'm pretty sure the zr1 received the carbon fiber syncros, which eliminated the hard cold shifts sometime perceived in 08 and ealier z06's.

other than the ptm, hardly any changes were done... launch control on 2010 and up is fun but i wouldn't spend the extra just for it. PTM is usefull for the track and helps build confidence but again, is it really worth the $? that's a personal question.
don't think anyone can go wrong with any 09-13 zr1's!
No as I have already said my statements were based upon a significant amount of seat time in a lot of ZR1's of all the different years. Like any new car the first year is always the worst to buy one - in case you didn't know that. My cousin works up very high in GM, and he has told me there are literally hundreds of small changes in the vette each year that most people have no idea about. Suppliers get changed and parts get upgraded without changing the GM number all the time, so when a clutch assembly isn't performing up to snuff then the supplier gets changed on it in subsequent years (or during a model year) even though it may be functionally identical it may well not change part numbers.

If you actually own a 2009 ZR1 then perhaps your comments are based upon "feelings". If the OP wants to buy the cheapest ZR1 then it will be a 2009 by a longshot
Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
JTE
Melting Slicks

CI 4-7, 9 & 10 Veteran

No as I have already said my statements were based upon a significant amount of seat time in a lot of ZR1's of all the different years. Like any new car the first year is always the worst to buy one - in case you didn't know that. My cousin works up very high in GM, and he has told me there are literally hundreds of small changes in the vette each year that most people have no idea about. Suppliers get changed and parts get upgraded without changing the GM number all the time, so when a clutch assembly isn't performing up to snuff then the supplier gets changed on it in subsequent years (or during a model year) even though it may be functionally identical it may well not change part numbers.

If you actually own a 2009 ZR1 then perhaps your comments are based upon "feelings". If the OP wants to buy the cheapest ZR1 then it will be a 2009 by a longshot
Still no facts in that load of gobbly gook. Seat time and my cousin says...

Wow! "I don't care if anyone gets the panties in wad"

You are an azzhat.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Thinking about buying a ZR1, have a few questions