Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Speedinc does it again with another ZR1 Super Car build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM
SlowZo6
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Speedinc does it again with another ZR1 Super Car build

While extremely well known for building monster packages for all LS equipped vehicles, they now step into super-car territory with their LS-9 / ZR1 upgrades and packages that rival all with huge power increases, without charging outrageous prices!

I had spoken with Tom, the owner of Speedinc to put together a nice combo for me. I wanted to keep stock drivability but gain a good amount of power and torque.

Two weeks ago I dropped off my ZR1 to Speedinc to have these nice and tasteful upgrades installed on the car.
Holy cow did Speedinc deliver on their promise! I recently got the car back and I could not be happier with the build/results!

The car is an absolute monster with phenomenal power and perfect drivability. You can leave the car in 6th gear and lug it around town in 30mph zones, and still accelerate with no problem! Car dose not buck or bog at all, and zero cam surge! When it’s time to mash the gas pedal the car will literally scare the pants off you ………

From a 60mph roll you will instantly redline 2nd gear and have a mushroom cloud of tire smoke behind you! Rowing through the gears, the car just keeps pulling like a rocket!

I can’t say enough great things about Speedinc and their top notch expertise and quality of workmanship. They kept me informed every step of the way with pictures and emails, along with daily updates and work progress. I was very surprised and pleased to see how well they took care of my ZR1, with all the extra time they took to cover up the car to make sure they did not bump or scratch it. It’s the type of care that makes you feel comfortable, knowing good and well that they treat your vehicle like royalty!

SPEEDINC for the win!

The package consists of the following upgrades:
-2.6 Upper Pulley
-Kooks 1 7/8" Primary Headers w/X-pipe
-Overdrive SFI Approved Balancer
-160* Thermostat
-Custom SI9 Camshaft
-Dual .675' Valve Springs w/Titanium retainers shimmed to desired pressures
-PRC CNC Ported LS9 heads
-Chrome Moly Custom Length Pushrods
-ID850 Injectors
-NGK Irridium Spark Plugs
-LS7 Throttle Body
-LPE Clutch Pedal Return Kit
-Hurst Billet Shifter
-New Fasteners, Gaskets, Wiring Extensions
-Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
-Professional Installation by experienced technicians
-Professionally Dyno tuning including Street tuning

** Soon to come:**
-Lingenfelter High Flow Snout, with extensive porting
-102mm Throttle Body
-Ported intake manifold
-LPE High Flow Induction
-Katech Heat Exchanger
Results were a conservative 663 RWHP/630 RWTQ on 93 octane, with excellent drivability. Phenomenal power considering the car retains the stock induction and blower snout.

Link to build on speedinc’s web page.
http://www.speedinc.com/blog/Ernie_ZR1_Feature/

ZR1 Dyno Graph.

ZR1 VS My H/c/i Z06

Last edited by SlowZo6; 07-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats
The following users liked this post:
SlowZo6 (03-22-2017)
Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

thanks for the write up!!
If i was you, my next step would be ported blower and ported STOCK snout by JJformato also a LPE induction system or halltech induction. For some reason Halltech seem to be forget by the ZR1 crowd

btw: you made the right choice, black is the fastest color
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

You should be right at 700 to the tires with the other mods added
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM
0Speed Inc.
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the post Ernie! Its always a pleasure to work with you and I'm glad you are enjoying the car!

Here is our write up:
http://www.speedinc.com/blog/Ernie_ZR1_Feature/

Last edited by Speed Inc.; 07-10-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Impressive mods and output!

I bet you have a big grin on your face every time you take that beast out on the road.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:04 PM
SlowZo6
Pro

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
Impressive mods and output!

I bet you have a big grin on your face every time you take that beast out on the road.
Yes sir I sure do
Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 PM
SlowZo6
Pro

Idling clip of the ZR1

Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 PM
SlowZo6
Pro

Update: I dropped off my ZR1 last week on Tuesday to Speedinc to have some additional mods done to the car that we didn't get to last year (damn early winter!). I must say I'm still extremely impressed not only with Speedinc's Master Workmanship, but also with how fast they get stuff done! They don't mess around! I picked up the car that Friday of the same week! Yes, it was DONE in less than 1 week! The quality of work they put out along with the best customer service that can't be beat! Knowing good and well that they treat your vehicle like royalty! I highly recommend Speedinc to anyone and everyone who wants’ to have the Best Work done around the Chicago land area, along with pricing that’s far better than to be expected at this level of service! Really!

The mod list included adding the LPE Snout with the LPE cold air induction, along with a Katech Heat Exchanger, Flex Fuel conversion (DSX Tuning kit) and intercooler plate reinforcement. We were hoping for 700+rwhp on just pump gas (93 octane), but unfortunately the car really did not pick up any peak HP. But did gain a good amount in the midrange, along with a ton of torque! The old numbers where 662rwhp/629rwtq on 93 pump gas, the new numbers are now 663rwhp/691rwtq on 93 pump gas and on E85 it put down 726rwhp/724rwtq.

Before any "Blame" is to be put on Speedinc for no increase in the HP dept, the increase in HP #'s are the claim from LPE! Due to the other mods, a bigger throttle body may be needed to fix the problem. And both parties are putting their heads together to find the missing pony’s! But there is no shortage of a huge torque increase, that's for sure! Just normal driving the car now on pump gas, and you can really feel the newly added torque! With a little more right foot action, the car becomes an absolute monster! Now add in the E85, and the car just turns into a whole new Super Car! Words do it no justice!

And for the "Green Group", so far fuel economy is excellent! And has been getting between 19 to 20 mpg on the 93! And on E85, the best it has done is 15mpg, but a heavy right foot may be at partial blame!

Still waiting on final word for the next set of mods. Porting the snout at this point and also adding in a 102mm throttle body are on the list! Then we'll see if the car picks up any HP. If all goes well, we may even add the 2.35 pulley!

I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again Speedinc you guys rock!

Last edited by SlowZo6; 05-06-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 PM
0Speed Inc.
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SlowZo6
Update: I dropped off my ZR1 last week on Tuesday to Speedinc to have some additional mods done to the car that we didn't get to last year (damn early winter!). I must say I'm still extremely impressed not only with Speedinc's Master Workmanship, but also with how fast they get stuff done! They don't mess around! I picked up the car that Friday of the same week! Yes, it was DONE in less than 1 week! The quality of work they put out along with the best customer service that can't be beat! Knowing good and well that they treat your vehicle like royalty! I highly recommend Speedinc to anyone and everyone who wants’ to have the Best Work done around the Chicago land area, along with pricing that’s far better than to be expected at this level of service! Really!

The mod list included adding the LPE Snout with the LPE cold air induction, along with a Katech Heat Exchanger, Flex Fuel conversion (DSX Tuning kit) and intercooler plate reinforcement. We were hoping for 700+rwhp on just pump gas (93 octane), but unfortunately the car really did not pick up any peak HP. But did gain a good amount in the midrange, along with a ton of torque! The old numbers where 662rwhp/629rwtq on 93 pump gas, the new numbers are now 663rwhp/691rwtq on 93 pump gas and on E85 it put down 726rwhp/724rwtq.

Before any "Blame" is to be put on Speedinc for no increase in the HP dept, the increase in HP #'s are the claim from LPE! Due to the other mods, a bigger throttle body may be needed to fix the problem. And both parties are putting their heads together to find the missing pony’s! But there is no shortage of a huge torque increase, that's for sure! Just normal driving the car now on pump gas, and you can really feel the newly added torque! With a little more right foot action, the car becomes an absolute monster! Now add in the E85, and the car just turns into a whole new Super Car! Words do it no justice!

And for the "Green Group", so far fuel economy is excellent! And has been getting between 19 to 20 mpg on the 93! And on E85, the best it has done is 15mpg, but a heavy right foot may be at partial blame!

Still waiting on final word for the next set of mods. Porting the snout at this point and also adding in a 102mm throttle body are on the list! Then we'll see if the car picks up any HP. If all goes well, we may even add the 2.35 pulley!

I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again Speedinc you guy rock!

Thanks Ernie! It's always a pleasure working with you.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Inc.
Saying we leave tools in the engine compartment all the time is absurd. Working on thousands upon thousands of cars the last 15 years, it would be both arrogant and a lie to say it has never happened. No man, let alone a professional mechanic wants to lose a tool, especially a Snap On or Matco. If your car was one of the few, then I sincerely apologize.

I am also unsure how/why we would have a bolt on, or around your dash when doing a camshaft installation, so I am not sure how one could have even fell into your dash. If this is the case, I apologize. Please email me tom@speedinc.com so I can get more details from you.

The carbon fiber hood weights very little, and is well insulated, it isn't hurting the roof, believe me.
I understand, but I know you guys have done thousands of builds.And have built some great cars.But geez, there has to be a better place to store a hood , I don't care what it weighs. I personally might be to ****, but that would **** me off. I won't comment in this thread again. just posting my opinion,that's all.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Do you mind if I reuse the photo showing the flex fuel kit fitment?
Old 05-10-2014, 10:55 PM
0Speed Inc.
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DSteck
Do you mind if I reuse the photo showing the flex fuel kit fitment?
Of course not my friend. We are building another zr1 right now, including your kit, let me know if you want better/more pictures.

Thank you again for supplying a drama free product.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

That one is pretty hard to top. I've been needing something to show fitment.

I like drama free. But... Why are we both posting on a car forum at 10pm on a Saturday night?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:15 PM
SlowZo6
Pro

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
I understand, but I know you guys have done thousands of builds.And have built some great cars.But geez, there has to be a better place to store a hood , I don't care what it weighs. I personally might be to ****, but that would **** me off. I won't comment in this thread again. just posting my opinion,that's all.
You know what Im **** too when it comes to people posting BS in my thread and has nothing to do about the build. You could have just kept this in a pm between the two of you. I personally don't care that they put the hood on my roof. The mechanic at speedinc first asked me before he even did it, I gave him the ok to do it. It’s not your car so please keep your opinion to yourself.

Originally Posted by DSteck
That one is pretty hard to top. I've been needing something to show fitment.

I like drama free. But... Why are we both posting on a car forum at 10pm on a Saturday night?
Because we have nothing better to do lol
Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 AM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Looks like a solid build, I'm really excited about the Flex Fuel setup. NICE!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:17 PM
LemansbluebyU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

I just ran across this thread, sweet setup Ernie So this is the car I saw last year in Geneva? She sounds and looks bad ***!!! Hopefully I'll see you out and about again this season
Old 05-07-2015, 02:30 PM
SlowZo6
Pro

Originally Posted by LemansbluebyU
I just ran across this thread, sweet setup Ernie So this is the car I saw last year in Geneva? She sounds and looks bad ***!!! Hopefully I'll see you out and about again this season
Yes sir it sure is And most definitely you will see me out again this year.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:34 PM
cruzc5frc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowZo6
Yes sir it sure is And most definitely you will see me out again this year.
Ernie-

how is the mpg on the E85? I went through a full tank of 93 in about 80 minutes of track time yesterday. Will i need a fuel truck on standby if I go E85?

I'm in Elgin and Speed has done all my work as well

Get notified of new replies

To Speedinc does it again with another ZR1 Super Car build

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Speedinc does it again with another ZR1 Super Car build