Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Best brakes to track a ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:08 PM
KC ZR1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brakes to track a ZR1

What brake set up should I use to track my 09 ZR1 ?

What performs best on the track?

OEM ceramic or an Aftermarket Iron like RB?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by KC ZR1
What brake set up should I use to track my 09 ZR1?
Are you going to be driving your ZR1 on the road as well as the track? Or is it purely a track car? You'll be very hard pressed to find a set of iron brakes that can outperform the ZR1's on the track without going with an insanely high-temperature brake pad. But that pad won't work well, if at all, on the road.

And if you do go with an iron setup and high-temp pad, you're going to have other issues. The immense amount of heat that builds up inside the wheel will need to be dealt with... somehow.

Stick with the carbon ceramics. Burnish the pads per the owners manual (both street and track). Beat on brakes repeatedly at the track and never look back.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
KC ZR1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strictly Track
Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Strictly Track
There's only one participant in this section that's replaced his rotors with iron ones. He's over in the EU somewhere. I don't know the specifics behind the modification, what pads he's running, etc. Perhaps he'll see this thread and participate.

In the mean, I'd strongly encourage you to stick with the OEM setup. There's a lot of braking potential locked up in the factory solution, assuming you do the pad burnishing. The thermal capacity of the rotors is just stunning, and the pads keep working and working. Put some good fluid in the system, and then head to the track.

Do that first before spending potentially unnecessary moneys on overhauling the very expensive OEM setup. Most of us track-dog ZR1 drivers are using the OEM setup with a lot of success.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Strictly Track
We make pads for the ZR1, I would use the XP24 compound on the front and XP10 on the rear. If interested give me a call at 216-780-8825 and I will be happy to help you.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 10-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Carbotech for the win!! Great pad, and super easy on the rotors!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-01-2013, 02:09 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is there actually an "upgrade" for OEM Brembo ZR1 brakes?

Pads maybe, fluid absolutely, calipers and rotors- doubtful!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:47 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Carbotech for the win!! Great pad, and super easy on the rotors!

Thanks,
Dave
Which compound do you use?

How does it "feel" on track compared to the stock pad? (initial bite)

Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

We drive the GT3 Brembo von Tikt

The brake operates as a Race Vehicle
We know of no thermal problems

Cölestin
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85

Thanks
I've been using XP20's front... and on the Vette XP10's on the back.

I've just been 'dabbing' with the XP24's... so don't have any feedback there yet.

As for 'Feel'... that's the greatest part with Carbotech Pads (IMO)... they deliver very consistent pedal feel, much like your OEM pad... just 3 times the Bite! But none of the 'grabby/jerkyness' you may get with some other track dedicated pads.

Just post your results after your first event! You'll never go back!

Peace,
Dave
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thanks
I would use XP24 or XP20 front depending on tires and XP10 rear. I will be happy to help you, give me a call at 216-780-8825 and you can order direct from me and save 5%. I also, recommend the pre bed option, it seems to be working well with the ZR1 rotors. I do have another customer running the XP24 who is a member here in a full blown ZR1 race car and is loving them. maybe he will chime in, he does not post alot
Old 10-03-2013, 08:31 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
I've been using XP20's front... and on the Vette XP10's on the back.

I've just been 'dabbing' with the XP24's... so don't have any feedback there yet.

As for 'Feel'... that's the greatest part with Carbotech Pads (IMO)... they deliver very consistent pedal feel, much like your OEM pad... just 3 times the Bite! But none of the 'grabby/jerkyness' you may get with some other track dedicated pads.

Just post your results after your first event! You'll never go back!

Peace,
Dave
How long does a set last you(20/10 combo)? I know that varies by driving style so longer or shorter than oem pads?

I checked the Carbotech website but it didn't have a description for XP24's. Whats the difference between those and the XP20's? What made you switch to the 24's?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

How long does a set last you(20/10 combo)? I know that varies by driving style so longer or shorter than oem pads?

I checked the Carbotech website but it didn't have a description for XP24's. Whats the difference between those and the XP20's? What made you switch to the 24's?
The goal was to decrease the wear rate yet maintain the high friction and fade resistance of the other high end XP race compounds.

Along the way these pads:

-Have the most linear friction curve we have seen.
-Are lighter than the other compounds.
-Last longer on track.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
I would use XP24 or XP20 front depending on tires and XP10 rear. I will be happy to help you, give me a call at 216-780-8825 and you can order direct from me and save 5%. I also, recommend the pre bed option, it seems to be working well with the ZR1 rotors. I do have another customer running the XP24 who is a member here in a full blown ZR1 race car and is loving them. maybe he will chime in, he does not post alot
I'm running Hoosier A6's 295/335 or 315/345 combo.

Hopefully he will chime in.
There isn't much aftermarket pad chit chat so I'm eager to hear feedback from others!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

The goal was to decrease the wear rate yet maintain the high friction and fade resistance of the other high end XP race compounds.

Along the way these pads:

-Have the most linear friction curve we have seen.
-Are lighter than the other compounds.
-Last longer on track.
XP24 sounds like the way to go then! I'll have to give you a call. There is one other pad manufacturer I had considered but they are expensive!! What does a set of 24/10 run?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Lasco001
We drive the GT3 Brembo von Tikt
2 Corvette ZR1 Imola 2013 VS Porsche GT3 - YouTube

The brake operates as a Race Vehicle
We know of no thermal problems

Cölestin
This is with XP20
Old 10-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

XP24 sounds like the way to go then! I'll have to give you a call. There is one other pad manufacturer I had considered but they are expensive!! What does a set of 24/10 run?

Thanks
XP24 $577 XP10 $290 Less 5%. Give me a call 216-780-8825.

Get notified of new replies

To Best brakes to track a ZR1

Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

This is with XP20
I'm all for marketing but I believe he mentioned that he tested several different brake pads there, so it could be any one of those in this video.

In any case to the OP please note that the owner also mentioned that his ZR1 is running the GT3 brake set up from the German tuner Tikt. So he is running different calipers (Porsche GT3 Cup calipers) and iron brake rotors, not the stock calipers and carbon ceramic rotors like we do. Also this was his feedback on his test of the XP20's which again were used with iron rotors. The info inside of brackets ( ) I added to clarify a few things caused by difference in language:

Carbotech XP20
I had great expectations, but was somewhat disappointed.
On the road, the blocks (brakes) have made a very good impression.
On the Monza race with slick medium (medium compound slicks), the toppings (pads) were not good.
First bite very well.
After two or three rounds, so if the brake is very hot, the pads get problems with the temperature. The braking effect is poor.
For a race, I would not recommend these pads!

The greatest one problem: After 45minutes, the toppings (pads) were iron on iron (iron brake pad backing plate to iron brake rotor, so in other words completely worn out).

I'll leave you to make your own decision after reading the above review if you thing those pads are appropriate for you.

Now as far as what I would call "proven" pads for use with CCB's there are really only 3. The stock Brembo pads, the Porsche Motorsport "Green" pads for the PCCB's that I believe they are no longer making and the Pagid RS19/29 aka "Yellows" which is a premier iron rotor endurance compound pad and are commonly also used by the Ferrari Challenge guys on their CCB's equipped cars instead of the stock Brembo pads as they offer superior modulation and wear somewhat better than stock. These I would consider the 3 "proven" pads anything other than that you are going to somewhat be blazing your own path and it is going to be more of a trial and error thing. There are a few other pads that seem to offer promise but those are still being tested by people.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Werks,

Do you have any info/feedback about some of the Endless compounds? I have been wanting to try the W008 or the W007 compounds. Still researching but have yet to find any real world reviews on those 2 compounds.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Not so far. A friend of mine has been running the ME20 compound on his vette with carbon rotors and is really pleased with them. Those are not really a recommended carbon ceramic pad but is a pretty proven Endless endurance racing pad compound. He has about 6 track days on them so far and is showing minimal wear on his pads (plus he reports superior braking performance than OEM). I'm on my 4th set of OEM front pads now (getting about 5 track days out of each set of pads) and have another set of OEM pads sitting on the shelf along with a new set of rotors. I'll probably run the last set of pads that I have then switch over to fresh rotors and will start running Endless pads on them. This way it will be a fresh set of rotors running only the Endless pads so that I can get a true gauge of performance. I'm up in the air on ME20 or W007 compound, the W008 is more of a "street with occasional track" type pad and I use my car for about 90% track so those are not really a compound I would choose.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Best brakes to track a ZR1