Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Looking for real world experience on INVO vs. stock Michelins

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Looking for real world experience on INVO vs. stock Michelins

I thought I'd ask here in the ZR1 section because I'd really like to know what opinions people here have of the Nitto INVO over the stock tires the ZR1 came with, either the Cup or the PS2?

Ride, grip, tread life, etc.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 PM
RCC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPO_Z06
I thought I'd ask here in the ZR1 section because I'd really like to know what opinions people here have of the Nitto INVO over the stock tires the ZR1 came with, either the Cup or the PS2?

Ride, grip, tread life, etc.

Thanks
Jamie
My car had PS2's.

The Invo-

Rides better
Is quieter
Way better traction

I had Cup tires on my viper and put Invos on it also. Invo was better all those departments as well.

I'm guessing the cup tires might have some advantage for road course guys but it seems they go from really crappy traction when cold to pretty good when they are warm to really ****** when they get hot.

I drive my car a lot so ride comfort and road noise are important. The Invo excels at this and is one of the better hooking tires IMHO.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I have no experience with the Invo's... but all tires I have tried, cannot compare to Michelin PS once 'heated up'...

I'd be surprised to see an Invo out perform a Michelin, but it could be worth a try.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-28-2014, 10:45 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Thanks RCC, this is exactly what I'm looking for, anyone else?

And Dave, your right about the heat cycle and the PS, they get it on once up to temp.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 PM
nightflyer
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I put 10,000 miles on my OEM Michelins and then changed wheels and put the Invo's on them. As previously stated...better ride, quieter, traction and the best part is the car doesn't do any steering hunting...or what ever you want to call it. The Invo's track true and straight. The Michelins were much harder to drive with. I don't track the car, so I can't help you there, but when it comes time to replace these I will go back with the Invo's.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:06 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

REALLY surprised to hear the invo's hook better than Michelin!! They are cheaper, quieter and better ride. Its no brainer than!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 AM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nightflyer
I put 10,000 miles on my OEM Michelins and then changed wheels and put the Invo's on them. As previously stated...better ride, quieter, traction and the best part is the car doesn't do any steering hunting...or what ever you want to call it. The Invo's track true and straight. The Michelins were much harder to drive with. I don't track the car, so I can't help you there, but when it comes time to replace these I will go back with the Invo's.
Are these runflat? Same size?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:55 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by The boss
Are these runflat? Same size?
Invo's are non run-flat...I too find it hard to believe the OEM Cup tires are worse then the nitto's for road course use
Old 03-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05dsom
Invo's are non run-flat...I too find it hard to believe the OEM Cup tires are worse then the nitto's for road course use
I don't think anyone believe's the INVO are better than the cup tires on the 'track'. I believe the comparison is to PS Super Sport, which I'd also believe Michelin would win 'on the track'.

But it seems the Invo may be the better 'daily driver' tire... based on these posts here, I might be willing to consider!

Are they as light as the Michelin's? If I knew i'd save a few pounds rotating mass, that'd be a plus as well.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-01-2014, 02:52 PM
ace32x
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

i had stock Michelin's on and switched to invos and as previously stated, ride quality improved, traction went way up (in stock form it would hook second no problem and the top of first) and they were cheaper.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

A.) Where are they cheaper? Seem about the same price to me?

B.) Do we have weights of the tires?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-01-2014, 04:26 PM
EkDream
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prices are WAAAY cheaper. You can get a set of 19/20 Innvos for 1750. The Michelins run about 24-2500
Old 03-01-2014, 04:29 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
A.) Where are they cheaper? Seem about the same price to me?

B.) Do we have weights of the tires?

Thanks,
Dave
must be lighter, since they aren't runflat??? Logically must be lighter when compared to PS2 ZP.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:34 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Actually you can get Invo's for less than $1,600 shipped right now which is over $600 cheaper than the Cup tires and $700 cheaper than the PS, granted they aren't run flats and you will loose that security blanket, but I don't really care about that personally because every Corvette I've ever owned was infinitely better when I removed the run flats and went conventional tires.

As for weight savings I can't find any information on that as of yet but they would have to be lighter but by how much is a great question.

The reasons above are why I even asked this question in the first place, I work for a large tire company but they only make half of the sizes I would need for the ZR1 and plans to make the others aren't in the near future.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM
EkDream
Advanced

I havent ran the Innvos yet but to hell with these Cups. They may be awesome on the track but the lane searching and the violent jerking when turning at low speeds is too much to deal with for a street car. Along with that they sling every grain of sand into the fenders and its enough to drive one crazy.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

FYI Guys the new C-7 Z06 will come with Michelin "Pilot Super Sport" tires in the same size as the C-6 ZR-1.

1. They are run flats

2. They have 12-14% more lateral grip than the PS-2

3. They have a tread wear of 400! They are using the same compound on the outer edges as they use at Le Mans. So they wear a lot longer.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by WB6HRO
FYI Guys the new C-7 Z06 will come with Michelin "Pilot Super Sport" tires in the same size as the C-6 ZR-1.

1. They are run flats

2. They have 12-14% more lateral grip than the PS-2

3. They have a tread wear of 400! They are using the same compound on the outer edges as they use at Le Mans. So they wear a lot longer.
I looked at these but production units won't be available until after August of this year, and pricing isn't available at all as of yet, they do look tasty though.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for real world experience on INVO vs. stock Michelins

Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Okay, I have a set of Invo's on my '10 ZR1 for street use only. They are pretty quiet, ride nice, and have decent straight-line grip. However, for track use they are a significantly inferior tire to any of the Michelin tire models (PS2, Cup, SS, etc.).

I have a dedicated set of track wheels/tires (actually two sets), so the Invo's are perfect for around town for me. PLEASE NOTE: The speed rating on the tire is NOT sufficient for a top speed run. So, take a very close look at that if you plan to drive near the top speed for whatever reason.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:37 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I think the better straight line traction of the invo is most likely because they are not run flat and have a softer sidewall...thus ride quieter and softer...
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

What size on the Invos to avoid throwing codes/confusing the computers?

Doesn't seem to be stock sizes.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Looking for real world experience on INVO vs. stock Michelins