Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Second catch can suprizing results!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballbearingturbo
I'm also probably mistaken so I'd like to be corrected. It's my thought that there are certain points on the motor you reference meant to have the oil or gases extracted and the main reason they are routed back through the intake system is for emissions purposes. Because you can't exactly vent the oil and gas to the atmosphere and be legal?

Run on sentences, my apologies.
Exactly right. No gasses allowed to be vented to the atmosphere. What you're referring to in the picture is the hose going into the valve cover. This is the point where filtered air from the intake hose near the main air filter (once it has traveled through the top of oil tank) goes into the engine to replace the gasses pulled out from the valley port PCV,

Your second question regarding the breather. This is a closed system and putting a breather in the system would negate the need for the breather system (from the intake hose mentioned in the previous answer) already installed on the car.

Last edited by GMJim; 03-28-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Al3x_666
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by blaSSt
The 2nd PCV system is under the intercooler inlet/exit header. The picture below shows the new hoses and identifies flow direction.

The part that was removed:

Didn't take a picture of it before removal.
Does the Elite single catch can come with the hose?

To fit the new hose on the valley plate, you have reused the OEM fitting of the part you have removed?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballbearingturbo
I'm also probably mistaken so I'd like to be corrected. It's my thought that there are certain points on the motor you reference meant to have the oil or gases extracted and the main reason they are routed back through the intake system is for emissions purposes. Because you can't exactly vent the oil and gas to the atmosphere and be legal?

Run on sentences, my apologies.

I think everyone will agree the top diagram (in my very bad hand drawn sheet above) shows the way everyone has their valley catch can hooked up. This is confirmed to work well by most people. The bottom diagram in my hand drawn sheet shows how everyone has the other can (I'll call it the oil tank can) hooked up BUT I HAVE INDICATED THE FLOW GOING THE OPPOSITE WAY to show how I feel it works (but you would remove the catch can from the system). My vacuum gauge says I am correct.

This GM diagram clearly shows these lines to be FRESH AIR PORTS not crank case gasses. This is why nobody has any oil in their oil tank can. I have changed my mind on installing the second can based this GM diagram and my vacuum gauge. Anybody wanna buy a catch can?
Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 PM
7.0Ltrs of Love
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

resurrecting this a bit....Bought my ZR back in December and now that good weather is hear ive been doing some looking around and noticed it came with an Elite catch can which is this exact one you speak of that does no good (opened it for the first time and it was bone dry). My question is what would i have to do (hoses, hose routing etc) in order to basically convert what i have now into the other version that actually works and is pulling from the valley plate?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 7.0Ltrs of Love
resurrecting this a bit....Bought my ZR back in December and now that good weather is hear ive been doing some looking around and noticed it came with an Elite catch can which is this exact one you speak of that does no good (opened it for the first time and it was bone dry). My question is what would i have to do (hoses, hose routing etc) in order to basically convert what i have now into the other version that actually works and is pulling from the valley plate?
Elite sells two 24" hoses to connect to the valley plate and intake. They route easily under the SC cover to the connection points. Search catch can on this forum and you will find several threads with photos.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Second catch can suprizing results!