Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] The first off the streets local HELL-WIDOW cam dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:30 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Default The first off the streets local HELL-WIDOW cam dyno results

Here is one our off the streets local Hell-Widow cam results

The vehicle was a 2007 Z with ARH LT/catted, Halltech 107mm, Vette-Air scoop, 160* stat, stock heads, stock intake, stock TB and stock clutch; his stock clutch is now its last leg. We were afraid to push further as we began noticing some slip around torque peak. We believe the clutch little slips here and there contributed to the lower than anticipated TQ numbers – not bad TQ readings, but on average we’ve seen slightly higher readings.

The vehicle had 32K miles on the clock, the rocker arms and the stock heads both appeared in good shape. However, we strongly suggested that he do something about the heads before his luck runs out. He’s now in the process of saving up the cash for the heads and a new clutch kit. Naturally, he asked about the FAST & TB combo as well. Surely he would make additional ponies, but at a higher cost – besides, his injectors already began to reach non favorable IDC readings which means that if he decides to go with greater air breathing components, then he would certainly need to up the injectors which means more dinero.

I believe what turned him on was the fact that he stuck around and witnessed another Z with a similar set up dyno over 620rwhp & over 560rwtq on pump gas. This Z, however, also had our stage II 11.8CR heads, FAST/NW combo and 80lbs…and yep, he too had a stock clutch and cats to boot. I believe this customer will post his own results, if not, I will post with his permission. A side note, what is up with some of you guys not knowing how to post with attached pics?

Thanks,
Carlos

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Here is one our off the streets local Hell-Widow cam results

The vehicle was a 2007 Z with ARH LT/catted, Halltech 107mm, Vette-Air scoop, 160* stat, stock heads, stock intake, stock TB and stock clutch; his stock clutch is now its last leg. We were afraid to push further as we began noticing some slip around torque peak. We believe the clutch little slips here and there contributed to the lower than anticipated TQ numbers – not bad TQ readings, but on average we’ve seen slightly higher readings.

The vehicle had 32K miles on the clock, the rocker arms and the stock heads both appeared in good shape. However, we strongly suggested that he do something about the heads before his luck runs out. He’s now in the process of saving up the cash for the heads and a new clutch kit. Naturally, he asked about the FAST & TB combo as well. Surely he would make additional ponies, but at a higher cost – besides, his injectors already began to reach non favorable IDC readings which means that if he decides to go with greater air breathing components, then he would certainly need to up the injectors which means more dinero.

I believe what turned him on was the fact that he stuck around and witnessed another Z with a similar set up dyno over 620rwhp & over 560rwtq on pump gas. This Z, however, also had our stage II 11.8CR heads, FAST/NW combo and 80lbs…and yep, he too had a stock clutch and cats to boot. I believe this customer will post his own results, if not, I will post with his permission. A side note, what is up with some of you guys not knowing how to post with attached pics?

Thanks,
Carlos

Looks like a nice cam indeed! Do you have the stock dyno chart as well?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:31 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

. However, we strongly suggested that he do something about the heads before his luck runs out.
Have you personally seen worn guides on cars you've worked on?
Interested in getting some first hand knowledge...

If you had the rockers off, to do the cam, did you you the wiggle test? I would think that would be standard practice if these engines are the ticking time bombs some people believe they are.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:41 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
Looks like a nice cam indeed! Do you have the stock dyno chart as well?
No, we did not have the his stock dyno pulls.

He mentioned that he added his ARH LTH, CAI kit, VA scoop some three years ago.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 05-20-2014, 01:57 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zulatr
Have you personally seen worn guides on cars you've worked on?
Interested in getting some first hand knowledge...

If you had the rockers off, to do the cam, did you you the wiggle test? I would think that would be standard practice if these engines are the ticking time bombs some people believe they are.

Yes, we have seen the worn guides on some of the cars...some are worse than others. Some are within specs, but many are out of specs.

In fact, back in early to mid 2008, I raised the flag warning the forum regarding the valve dropping/guide issues and many called it BS....I labeled me as scaring the market for a profit.

Many argued and argued that these cases were just isolated cases and that no way this was a global matter. So, I simply stood back and said: "fine, don't do anything and wait to see what happens".

Now some six years later, people are more and more aware of this issue...an issue that is not going away! BTW, I never ever came back to the forum and threw pie on the faces of those who called me names.

YES, we checked ALL vehicles when it comes in for such engine modifications. In fact, one came in two weeks ago and during our "check in" process, we discovered some scary weak links. FYI, for an extra $149, we would do a leak-down or CR test.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 05-20-2014, 08:30 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, we have seen the worn guides on some of the cars...some are worse than others. Some are within specs, but many are out of specs.

In fact, back in early to mid 2008, I raised the flag warning the forum regarding the valve dropping/guide issues and many called it BS....I labeled me as scaring the market for a profit.

Many argued and argued that these cases were just isolated cases and that no way this was a global matter. So, I simply stood back and said: "fine, don't do anything and wait to see what happens".

Now some six years later, people are more and more aware of this issue...an issue that is not going away! BTW, I never ever came back to the forum and threw pie on the faces of those who called me names.

YES, we checked ALL vehicles when it comes in for such engine modifications. In fact, one came in two weeks ago and during our "check in" process, we discovered some scary weak links. FYI, for an extra $149, we would do a leak-down or CR test.

Thanks,
Carlos
Do you think there's any chance of those stock injectors being sufficient if the first guy added your stage 2 heads with higher compression on 93?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks,
Carlos

Weak links? What made u realize this? Down on power?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 PM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

We need a idle clip and maybe a driveability video
Old 05-22-2014, 02:13 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rio95
Do you think there's any chance of those stock injectors being sufficient if the first guy added your stage 2 heads with higher compression on 93?
Can never fully tell, must check each vehicle to really determine. Some vehicles are just okay while others are not.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 05-22-2014, 02:25 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ClarksZ06
Weak links? What made u realize this? Down on power?
Leakdown test revealed beyond acceptable leak between cylinders. After further investigation, cylinder walls "worn" issues were discovered.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BOTTLE FEDvette
We need a idle clip and maybe a driveability video
I concur Where are these owners hiding??
Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 AM
camONLYls1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice job and great numbers! Any idle clips of this new cam? I'd love to hear it.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:18 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Idle clip please.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

I believe one of the east coast guys is posting a clip or two of his Hell-Widow cam sometime today or by end of this weekend.

I don't have time to make movies, I leave that for George Lucas films to produce

Some of you in this very thread already purchased the cam...when ready, slide it in and post your own videos. Booyah

Thanks,
Carlos...aka, the movie making hater
Old 05-22-2014, 04:41 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

I believe one of the east coast guys is posting a clip or two of his Hell-Widow cam sometime today or by end of this weekend.

I don't have time to make movies, I leave that for George Lucas films to produce

Some of you in this very thread already purchased the cam...when ready, slide it in and post your own videos. Booyah

Thanks,
Carlos...aka, the movie making hater
If someone..... cough cough... would send me my parts I'd gladly make a video. Just kdding!

Hell-widow!!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 PM
BlackGlass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hell Widow at Idle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbRS...ature=youtu.be

All I have to say is,.......WOW!

I made the switch during my head swap (upgraded from Widow R).

Previous mods:

Widow R
LG Motorsports superpro long tube headers (sans cats)
GHL Bullet exhaust
Patriot extreme springs
Varam air intake
McLeod Twin Clutch
C5 axles
565 RWHP
510 RWTQ

Current mods:

Hell Widow Cam
WCCH Stage 2 Heads (13.8:1, ported, SS exhaust valves)
Brian Tooley Polished Springs
FAST 102 Intake (ported)
NW 102mm TB
Haltech 107R air intake
FAST 90LB*Hr injectors (LS3 Fuel Rail w/ FAST Spacers)
NGK TR7ix Plugs
ARP Head Studs, cam bolts
VP 109 fuel

Still needs a tune, dyno graphs to follow shortly. I have an open headers video but it completey overwhelmed my phone mic. Knocked everything off the shelf in our upstairs bathroom, cops and township called, and I believe I have to have my neighbors persian rug cleaned (his dog sharted).

Last edited by BlackGlass; 05-28-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
richie427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what the fcky is wrong with my eyes, :che ers:

Get notified of new replies

To The first off the streets local HELL-WIDOW cam dyno results

Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 PM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGlass