Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] How often do you use PTM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:00 AM
Tim Taylor
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How often do you use PTM?

My questions is about the use of the PTM and Launch control which came from 2010....

Finally after some years and selling my C6Z I am ready for the purchase of a ZR1
Right now I am looking for 2010 and up only because of the missing PTM in 2009... but I am asking myself: How often do you USE that function? How useful is it? Full throttle through corners without fear?

I think the argument "the 2009 has NO PTM" is not worth anything as long as no one uses it....

I would be happy for some honest comments... 2009 drivers: Are you not missing it because you never had it or do you wish to have bought a later model???

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:35 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Taylor
My questions is about the use of the PTM and Launch control which came from 2010....

Finally after some years and selling my C6Z I am ready for the purchase of a ZR1
Right now I am looking for 2010 and up only because of the missing PTM in 2009... but I am asking myself: How often do you USE that function? How useful is it? Full throttle through corners without fear?

I think the argument "the 2009 has NO PTM" is not worth anything as long as no one uses it....

I would be happy for some honest comments... 2009 drivers: Are you not missing it because you never had it or do you wish to have bought a later model???

Thanks!
Why even think about it. For a couple grand difference, go with the 2010 and up. personally LC is a joke.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a 09, and never once i told myself, men i wish i had ptm! But for equal price 2010 is a no brainer ptm or not. i would go with the best deals first and select colors trim and then year! That what i did, when i bought mine i had a deal on a 2011 inferno orange for 4000$ more! I went with my black 09, because that is what i really wanted, damn glad i did!!
glws
Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Do you track the car?

I use PTM on the large track, and 50/50 for autox, but never on the street.

Although for the negligible difference in price, it is certainly something to consider when you resell the car.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Tim Taylor
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so far - Again, I know it makes nearly no difference to go with 2010 as they are only a couple of bucks more

I think I might even be able to go with a 2012.... but still interested in the practical use like UrbanKnight described

THX

PS.: Forget to say that I don't plan on tracking the car
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I run mode 5 when I'm tracking the car in my '10. Otherwise, it's effectively worthless on the street. So, for a ZR on the street, if you find an '09 for a great price, get it and don't look back.

Any year ZR1 is awesome!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I never use it. I just kill TC and AH
Old 08-30-2014, 04:52 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
I never use it. I just kill TC and AH
Because he's a bad boy!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 PM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ptm

So first, I have a bias as I have an '09 and have never missed PTM or launch control. While I do not drive my car at the track, when I do, I turn everything off as part of the thrill for me is controlling the car. In answer to your question, unless you will track the car and believe you will use PTM on the track, I think whoever said look for the "right" car for you (color, condition, Milage) and not worry about year, gave you great advice.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Just rev it up and let it rip.We never had these add ons in the past and still had fun.I will surely never use mine.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 AM
WB6HRO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 09 ZR1 and have never missed it. Then I never have to play "Ricky Racer" and spin the rear tires either.

When on a road course I turn traction control off. I leave active handing on (My thought is active handing on, so if I lose it I'll take all the help I can get) LOL.

The active handling never intervenes if you are driving correctly. Sideways is not fast!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by WB6HRO
I have an 09 ZR1 and have never missed it.

The active handling never intervenes if you are driving correctly.
I think folks saying things like, "I have an 09 and never miss(ed) it," aren't really sure what they're missing. So they have no idea really. PTM isn't Active Handling. It DOES step in at the track in more ways than most people realize, but it's not to save you. It's to make you faster. You can still wipe out with PTM if you're not careful.

15:30 into this vid:

That's with PTM Mode 3 on. Had I not countered, I'd have been facing Turn 5, the one I just cooked.

Now, folks that are saying, "How are you going to use the car?" are asking the right question. If the intent is to only drive on the street, you don't need PTM. You'll never make use of it. If you intend to turns some laps at your local road course, though, you'll really appreciate how smooth it helps you be, the work it does to keep the *** end planted, and the jiggering it does to the brake bias.

Get notified of new replies

To How often do you use PTM?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] How often do you use PTM?