Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Keeping the ZR1, and getting the new Z06? Silly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:49 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I've overlapped two cars that were tough to afford both long term. You quickly end up liking one more and the decision will be obvious to you after about 8 months or so. If it isn't about money, sometimes you just get tired of walking around the toys and have to free up a parking spot.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:12 AM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
I've overlapped two cars that were tough to afford both long term. You quickly end up liking one more and the decision will be obvious to you after about 8 months or so. If it isn't about money, sometimes you just get tired of walking around the toys and have to free up a parking spot.
As much as i dont want to agree with you, i completely do. Iv been in this situation many times and still am. Iv had my c5Z for over 7 years and have always had 3 cars: my z06, my beater, and a nice daily driver. While none of my daily drivers have been as fast as my z06 they have been much nicer and more pleasurable to drive.

Im ready to purchase another weekend car and have my z06 around, but i can only think when the hell am i going to find the time to drive 4 cars. All my cars are paid off so its not about the money. If i purchased a c6z06/zr1 or even a c7 i feel id almost never want to drive my c5z even being supercharged. i'v come to realize that i'll not have to sell it but its just logical to in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:53 AM
vara
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default keeping mine

I really love my ZR1 for several reasons. Again, these are my personal preferences and in no way should anyone who has fallen in love with the new Stingray take offense to them. We are all entitled to our own opinions. It would be pretty boring if everyone thought the same.

For starters, I am not into all the fancy shmancie gadgetry that is being put into the vehicles these days. What ever happened to a simple radio with bad *** sound?? I am not i agreement with all the manufacturers racing to put every piece of technology in a car from Wifi to apps, to screens with boatloads of screens to go thru. I prefer the simplicity of the interior of my Corvette. Not to mention that fact that at the age of almost 40, I can still go around blaring my stereo and not look like a silly *****! I still want to upgrade the sound system with an old school Pioneer radio and some kick *** speakers. This can be done with ease in my ZR1 and would be an impossibility with the setup of the new Stingray. I am big into customization and the cars of today don't like that. Once you start jacking with the electronics of the car it starts to freak out since all the computers communicate with one another via the radio.

An eBrake?? Not sold on that at all. I still like the old school hand brake. Leave that option for a nice sedan, but not a sports car. Just my opinion.

The rear end of the car. I know. There has been a constant debate on this matter and like I said before we are all entitled to our opinions. For me, I don't like it. If you look at all the exotics, the majority of them have nice flowing lines to the rear of the car. I just don't think that the Stingray accomplished that with this body style. I do love the front but I cannot get myself to accept the rear. Oh well, such is life. Can't have everything. And for all those who do not like the rear there are those who do and that is a great thing. We cannot all think the same.

It's really a toss up if GM would scrap the rear end and go with a totally different look for the rumored Zora. Will the car ever come to fruition? Who knows. Stranger things have happened. We shall see. If it does become a reality and they have a different looking butt for the car, then at that time perhaps I would be ready for a model change.

So that is my two cents for the day.

Above all please remember to respect one another on the forum and each other's opinions, likes and dislikes. Freedom of expression, as long as it doesn't offend others, is what makes this Vette forum so grand. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day.

Peace to all the Vette members...
Old 10-26-2014, 11:11 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vara
I really love my ZR1 for several reasons. Again, these are my personal preferences and in no way should anyone who has fallen in love with the new Stingray take offense to them. We are all entitled to our own opinions. It would be pretty boring if everyone thought the same.

For starters, I am not into all the fancy shmancie gadgetry that is being put into the vehicles these days. What ever happened to a simple radio with bad *** sound?? I am not i agreement with all the manufacturers racing to put every piece of technology in a car from Wifi to apps, to screens with boatloads of screens to go thru. I prefer the simplicity of the interior of my Corvette. Not to mention that fact that at the age of almost 40, I can still go around blaring my stereo and not look like a silly *****! I still want to upgrade the sound system with an old school Pioneer radio and some kick *** speakers. This can be done with ease in my ZR1 and would be an impossibility with the setup of the new Stingray. I am big into customization and the cars of today don't like that. Once you start jacking with the electronics of the car it starts to freak out since all the computers communicate with one another via the radio.

An eBrake?? Not sold on that at all. I still like the old school hand brake. Leave that option for a nice sedan, but not a sports car. Just my opinion.

The rear end of the car. I know. There has been a constant debate on this matter and like I said before we are all entitled to our opinions. For me, I don't like it. If you look at all the exotics, the majority of them have nice flowing lines to the rear of the car. I just don't think that the Stingray accomplished that with this body style. I do love the front but I cannot get myself to accept the rear. Oh well, such is life. Can't have everything. And for all those who do not like the rear there are those who do and that is a great thing. We cannot all think the same.

It's really a toss up if GM would scrap the rear end and go with a totally different look for the rumored Zora. Will the car ever come to fruition? Who knows. Stranger things have happened. We shall see. If it does become a reality and they have a different looking butt for the car, then at that time perhaps I would be ready for a model change.

So that is my two cents for the day.

Above all please remember to respect one another on the forum and each other's opinions, likes and dislikes. Freedom of expression, as long as it doesn't offend others, is what makes this Vette forum so grand. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day.

Peace to all the Vette members...
Very well stated! And, yet more proof that "Blade Silver ZR1 Owners" are the most erudite and probably the best looking corvette owners.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:05 PM
vara
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I agreee

Originally Posted by barduch
Very well stated! And, yet more proof that "Blade Silver ZR1 Owners" are the most erudite and probably the best looking corvette owners.

Thanks Barduch! I agree with you on that one!

Have a rocking Sunday! It's gorgeous in my hometown! Time for the Z!!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:23 AM
chrisfromalbany
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...supremacy.html

My question is would the ZR1 done a better time and I believe it would have.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes. The C7 Z06 is not the biggest, baddest, fastest Corvette. It's still the ZR1. So getting a Z06 is silly. Hang on to your ZR1
Old 02-05-2015, 04:45 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

For now the Zr1 is the fastest vette.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

My '11 IO ZR will never be sold. However, my '15 VY Z07 will go as soon as my NSX shows up (assuming I can get my hands on one). Owning both vettes, I can say that the performance is quite similar. The Z is just more updated than the ZR. But, the Z is being made in bulk and will carry little value for someone who collects cars.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
As nice as the C7 Z06 will be, it's not going to be a substantial difference better in performance over a ZR1.
Its funny how some of us got attacked when we expressed this over there. I was 6th in line at the dealership where I got my ZR1 from for an A8. Put a deposit down and backed out two days later. The feeling just wasn't right. I am one of those who are disappointed with the car and would not add or replace my ZR1 with (even though I don't have my ZR1 anymore). When I pointed out (like some others), my disappointments, I was labeled a troll, jealous and all that other bullchyt. Those fanbois have actually made me dislike the car and now I enjoy poking fun at them. Bunch of little girls over there.

All said, OP, I say if money ain't a thang and you really want it, get it, and enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:59 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Its funny how some of us got attacked when we expressed this over there. I was 6th in line at the dealership where I got my ZR1 from for an A8. Put a deposit down and backed out two days later. The feeling just wasn't right. I am one of those who are disappointed with the car and would not add or replace my ZR1 with (even though I don't have my ZR1 anymore). When I pointed out (like some others), my disappointments, I was labeled a troll, jealous and all that other bullchyt. Those fanbois have actually made me dislike the car and now I enjoy poking fun at them. Bunch of little girls over there.

All said, OP, I say if money ain't a thang and you really want it, get it, and enjoy the hell out of it.
I couldn't agree more. The sensitive fanbois in the C7Z06 section have turned me into a C7 basher. lol I was recently contemplating getting a new Z but opted to get a low mile ZR1 instead. I spent a lot of time over there trying to read info on the performance of this car. Any concern posted about the car would lead to personal attacks and insults. The fanbois ruined the forum and any "real" info trying to be posted. I decided fairly quickly the new Z is not for me. It is nothing near as special as my 2006 Z06 was when it first came out. Now I just go to the C7Z06 section to watch them cry.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
I couldn't agree more. The sensitive fanbois in the C7Z06 section have turned me into a C7 basher. lol I was recently contemplating getting a new Z but opted to get a low mile ZR1 instead. I spent a lot of time over there trying to read info on the performance of this car. Any concern posted about the car would lead to personal attacks and insults. The fanbois ruined the forum and any "real" info trying to be posted. I decided fairly quickly the new Z is not for me. It is nothing near as special as my 2006 Z06 was when it first came out. Now I just go to the C7Z06 section to watch them cry.
EXACTLY my friend
Old 02-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

OP - congratulations on having both cars!
Enjoy.

We all have our personal biases for wanting a car. I have a '13 ZR1 and am very interested in the C7 Z06. I only want a Canadian vehicle (my Canadian owner bias) and at this time can't get a Canadian vehicle allocation. If I were to buy a later model year C7 Z06, it might be a convertible. The ZR1 would be kept as the coupe.

We are so fortunate!
Old 02-06-2015, 02:05 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

I am on a "full court press" financially speaking getting ready for retirement in a few years. I love my 2012 ZR1 and while the C7 Z06 is impressive in many ways, it doesn't distinguish itself enough to interest me in purchasing one. I am not willing to fork over the coin another for 'similar' vette performance wise.

If this Zora vette pans out as the concept is described/leaked in the media, well then that is a horse of a different color. I might leap for that model.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:01 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
Yes. The C7 Z06 is not the biggest, baddest, fastest Corvette. It's still the ZR1. So getting a Z06 is silly. Hang on to your ZR1
Nonsense, It's certainly the BIGGEST at over 3,500lbs
Old 02-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Nonsense, It's certainly the BIGGEST at over 3,500lbs

Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 PM
vettemerica
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the ZR-1! It's the best C6! The last of the classics before the C7 body change!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Silly z07

I have to agree. Hang on to your zr1's or zo6's for that matter or go down the viper genv path without stripes.

I went to a dealer that had a loaded out zo6/zo7 c7. It just looked and felt awkward. It looks like a bunch of immature kids fresh out of design class that grew up focused on transformers delivered their first project. Everybody had an uncoordinated hand getting something of their mindset slapped on the car. And you have frankenvette zo7. The same can be said of the old Superbirds and dodge daytonas in the day.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Keeping the ZR1, and getting the new Z06? Silly?