Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Seat Foam Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:46 PM
spitfun
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Seat Foam Replacement

Anybody used the denser bottom seat foam from DJ Motorsports? I saw some posts in the standard C6 section and it worked for them,are our seats (3ZR) the same-need to know before ordering a pair. Thanks Rich
Old 03-04-2015, 06:33 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spitfun
Anybody used the denser bottom seat foam from DJ Motorsports? I saw some posts in the standard C6 section and it worked for them,are our seats (3ZR) the same-need to know before ordering a pair. Thanks Rich
Interested in this myself.

If you haven't already seen it, this video shows the work being performed which is a good help for home novices imo. Looks a nice upgrade too..

Old 03-05-2015, 06:32 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't have any experience with your actual question regarding the thicker padding for the seat bottom but when I purchased my slightly used 2010 ZR1 a few years back the drivers seat was pretty much flat. Dealer agreed to have the seat foam and leather replaced. They used an outside upholstery store for this and I watched the guy that did the replacement. Problem was the OEM foam is placed directly on the springs and over time the foam was cutting into the wires. It made the seat sag and the leather wrinkle very badly. When he replaced everything he used a thick jute padding over the springs before reinstalling the new OEM padding. This keeps the foam from cutting into the springs. Seat felt much better and 2 years later still held up well and was quite comfortable. Also reduced the leather from looking like it was stretching out since the foam stayed in place much better.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 AM
kaamacat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this from West Coast Corvettes....17181340(2) C5/C6 Seat Cushion Repair Kit .... Made a real nice difference in the seats. Simple to do as-well. I also took it one step further and "trimmed/rounded" the top of the aluminum frame sharp edges so it also could not cut further into the foam. The DRIVERS seat is where you get the best results because the passenger side already has some jute for the airbag sensor. BUT both sides really need the additional foam blocks to eliminate a huge amount of area that should be covered. This kit above is for the SEAT AREA ONLY and its bolsters.

Basically what you have is, because there is improper support under the foam in the seat base and the side bolsters on the seat base, those areas sink. This kit greatly assists that.

ONE CAUTION (a friend pointed out). When you remove the base items, and more importantly the back adjusting lever... when you replace it and the C-Clip, hold it from underneath the seat so that the lever does not push the mounting rod back into the seat. (You will then be very unhappy at the spring-o-thon that follows next).
Old 03-05-2015, 02:51 PM
msp1055
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My father's shop frequently steams the foam to get it to expand to keep the oem foam. Also he has used the jute padding to cover the springs, but if he has it he likes to use the old school burlap.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:28 PM
spitfun
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys. My main question is still unanswered,are the ZR1 seats the same as the base vette as far as the bottom cushion is concerned? On the DJ Motorsports website they only show one style of foam-is it one size fits all C6's? Thanks Rich
Old 03-06-2015, 08:18 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by spitfun
Thanks for the replies guys. My main question is still unanswered,are the ZR1 seats the same as the base vette as far as the bottom cushion is concerned? On the DJ Motorsports website they only show one style of foam-is it one size fits all C6's? Thanks Rich
Yes
Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 AM
spitfun
Racer

Originally Posted by acrace
Yes
Thanks Al...

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Foam Replacement

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Seat Foam Replacement