Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Garage Build - Show me your lifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:21 AM
cruzc5frc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Garage Build - Show me your lifts

Finishing the garage and last piece to the puzzle is a lift. The lift will mainly serve to get cars off the ground and remove wheels, change brakes, but then also storage in the winter having the car up in the air. My ZR1 is lowered with about 4" from ground to CF.

It almost seems as if I'm asking for both types of lifts, one you drive up on where the wheels are on the lift (no access to remove wheels) and the other I'm not sure if its meant for long term storage..

completed
high lift / jack shaft conversion
lighting upgrade

to do
drywall prep, prime, paint
dealership quality epoxy job
lift

old

new

Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 AM
Campfire
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My car is extremely low, lower than the 4" that you say your's has. I think I measured 3-3/4" at the chin on mine. Additionally, my garage has a 1" lip that is a step up, to keep water out during hard rains. I use a short set of Race Ramps under the ramps that came with my lift to get up on it without dragging the chin. I have to back my car in if I want to raise the lift high enough to get the wife's car under it. I have been very pleased with the lift. If my wife would let me take the water softener out of the garage, it would be even better because then I could access the driver side front wheel while on the lift.....

I use the lift mainly for storage as I own a townhouse in Houston and don't have a private driveway.

And my garage is not usually a disaster as it was in these photos. I was moving in, had just finished modifying the garage door and just installed the lift so I had stuff stacked everywhere.

I have a jack inside the rails of my lift, that allows me to raise the car on the lift to access pretty much anything I want. I think it is the best of both worlds. I'll be changing a leaf spring on the front of my car next weekend and will have no trouble doing that on this lift, with my jack and a couple of tall auxiliary jack stands. This is a Greg Smith Equipment lift and sliding jack.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Campfire; 03-24-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 AM
cruzc5frc
Racer

so with that type of lift, if you need to remove the wheels your not doing it on the lift correct? For some reason I thought someone told me there is some other component you can get to get the tires off the lift with your type of model?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Campfire
My car is extremely low, lower than the 4" that you say your's has. I think I measured 3-3/4" at the chin on mine. Additionally, my garage has a 1" lip that is a step up, to keep water out during hard rains. I use a short set of Race Ramps under the ramps that came with my lift to get up on it without dragging the chin. I have to back my car in if I want to raise the lift high enough to get the wife's car under it. I have been very pleased with the lift. If my wife would let me take the water softener out of the garage, it would be even better because then I could access the driver side front wheel while on the lift.....

I use the lift mainly for storage as I own a townhouse in Houston and don't have a private driveway.

And my garage is not usually a disaster as it was in these photos. I was moving in, had just finished modifying the garage door and just installed the lift so I had stuff stacked everywhere.

I have a jack inside the rails of my lift, that allows me to raise the car on the lift to access pretty much anything I want. I think it is the best of both worlds. I'll be changing a leaf spring on the front of my car next weekend and will have no trouble doing that on this lift, with my jack and a couple of tall auxiliary jack stands. This is a Greg Smith Equipment lift and sliding jack.
Cool setup, what is your ceiling height?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Campfire
Instructor

Originally Posted by cruzc5frc
so with that type of lift, if you need to remove the wheels your not doing it on the lift correct? For some reason I thought someone told me there is some other component you can get to get the tires off the lift with your type of model?
Look up Greg Smith Equipment and once you are on the stardard 4-post lift page, you will see the addition items you can purchase. The slide jack is what I have, that spans the rails and is a scissor jack, under the car. It is extremely useful and allows me to lift the car on the lift, from a multitude of lifting points. I raise the lift up, position the jack in the lifting position I want and then raise the car off the lift. I can lift via the engine cradle, the rear subframe, any of the body lifting points, or any other point I see fit to be able to raise the car to remove the tires. It is limited to lifting the front end or the rear end, not one side at a time.

In the photo that is a side shot of my car up on the lift, you can see the jack at full compression right behind the front tire.

Here is the link to the slide jack.
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...5-Sliding-Jack

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
Cool setup, what is your ceiling height?
My ceiling is 9'-6". I looked at a lot of homes before we bought this one and I was in every garage with a tape measure, much to the dismay of the listing agents when I would tell them what I was doing. Most times it was met with, "Oh, I don't think you could do that in here...."

Last edited by Campfire; 03-24-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:15 PM
cruzc5frc
Racer

^ exactly what I was looking for! thanks!

Garage height is 18' and 16', those standard door openers had to go!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Campfire
Instructor

Originally Posted by cruzc5frc
^ exactly what I was looking for! thanks!

Garage height is 18' and 16', those standard door openers had to go!
I modified my door and opener just like you did. My Dad and I did it in a day so it wasn't all that bad, but we didn't have to get up as high as you did. I'll have those openers installed on any future house I own.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Campfire
My ceiling is 9'-6". I looked at a lot of homes before we bought this one and I was in every garage with a tape measure, much to the dismay of the listing agents when I would tell them what I was doing. Most times it was met with, "Oh, I don't think you could do that in here...."
Yeah, I was doing the same thing house shopping last year, but ended up compromising on a house where everything else was perfect besides that. My garage ceiling is 8' 9", so it would be SUPER close for me, maaaybe 2 slammed Vettes would fit, lol.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

When I was house shopping the realtor took me in the shop first (he knew what he was doing). 12 foot ceilings, a couple of 10 foot high doors, plus a big office area. I said "Sold....., by the way, what's the inside of the house look like?"

Luckily, it turned out to be livable inside

Last edited by jft69z; 03-24-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:11 PM
CrystalRedZ07
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Love my 4 post American Custom lift!

Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM
spitfun
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CrystalRedZ07
Love my 4 post American Custom lift!

I'm guessing red is your favorite color...

Last edited by spitfun; 03-25-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 AM
sxs191
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check out the BendPak HD-9XW. http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/par...ts/hd-9xw.aspx

Also.. one or two of these would be perfect for getting the tires off the ramps for servicing. http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/accessories/rj-45.aspx
Old 03-25-2015, 10:46 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Went from a four car garage to a full 1850sf barn/shop with a two post lift - too many projects and too many cars.

The second one below is the donor car for my 69 Camaro restomod project - having a hell of a time finding the right 69.

Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Joe_Joe
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 89 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Here's my stable...

Old 03-25-2015, 03:22 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Well, I did some measuring again of my garage height, I am at 8' 11". It is actually 8' 11.5", but will be 1/2" shorter after I add my RaceDeck flooring in a couple of weeks. My lowered Vette is about 46" high, so as long as the other car (right now just my BRZ daily) is 50" or shorter, that will leave me an 11" buffer. I've read the ramp thickness is about 5", so that gives me a 3" buffer for each car. For those with 4 post lifts, do you think that'll be sufficient?

Also, how does the locking system work? I've never personally used one of these lifts before. Do I need to physically mark the max height before my Vette needs a new roof? LOL... or is there a stop I can put in place to make the lifting process extra safe? Being that it's going to be super tight clearance for me, I don't want any risk of damage if I do this half-awake coming come from work.

Thank you!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Campfire
Instructor

I think you'd be fine. As far as a stop, I just marked mine to know where to stop during the lifting operation. You can adjust the safety catches up and down using the nut and threads sticking out of the top of the legs. The catches allow you to relieve the hydraulics and prevent leak down.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

I own a company that sells garage flooring/cabinets/lifts and just had a couple of these installed in a customer's garage in Cypress, TX: http://www.qualitylifts.com/Q4P07.shtml

They're ALI (American Lift Institute) certified, very reasonably priced, and are made by Challenger lifts, a well known brand in the industry.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Build - Show me your lifts

Old 03-26-2015, 11:31 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Pro Park 9 unit and love it. Bridge jack is great to raise front or rear of car at factory jacking points. Nice luxury to have enough height to raise the lift all the way. When we built our garage we put in a loft but left an opening where the lift would be placed. Also, a side mount motor for the automatic door opener allows extra overhead clearance. The photos show my home made wooden ramps but I have since gone to the race ramps that are specifically made for lifts. They are feather light and certainly worth the price.

www.bencostuff.com

Old 04-04-2015, 01:17 AM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like a great start.

Here are a few tips:
1.) Dump the openers for Shaft Drives Nevermind I see it now, good choice taking the doors up higher.
2.) If you get a (2) post look for Asymetrical
3.) Make sure You have enough concrete for the lift before ordering!
4.) Check your electrical to ensure you can support the rated current
5.) Try mounting lights on the walls for greater lighting when the car was lifted
6.) Upgrade to the adjustable lift pads if you buy a (2) post
7.) If the floor is not level grind down the area under the legs so they sit even and level.
8.) Buy foam stick on weather stripping for the posts and arms so that you don't accidently open the car door into them

If you are looking for manufactures a Rotary has to be my favorite then Bendpack and Challenger.

Last edited by dsddcd; 04-04-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:59 PM
bworden
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cruz,

It looks like you have a sled parked between your 2 cars in the first picture. Where do you live by chance? As for the high-lift conversion on your garage doors, did you do that yourself or have someone do it for you? About how much per door? Also, what kind of garage door opener did you convert too?

I'm looking to do the exact same thing. Taking delivery of my '16 Z06 in October and I'm in Wisconsin.

Thanks!
- Brian

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Garage Build - Show me your lifts