Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Oil cooler upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Campfire
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Oil cooler upgrades

Has anyone taken any steps to upgrade the oil cooling capacity of their ZR1? I'm just looking at different means of keeping heat out of the motor during the hotter summer months here in Houston. I track the car and have significant cooling upgrades but I'm still pretty sure that I won't be able to track it during the summer.

I was at TWS this past weekend for an HDPE and the car performed flawlessly. It's currently making 681/613 at 10 lbs of boost, which is intentional. I don't want more power or more boost because they both equal more heat. Lots of port work has allowed me to drop boost while still running the 2.6 pulley. The car originally made 608/610 on the 2.6 pulley, which was how it was set up when I bought it.

I'm reasonably happy with the combination I've put together but started to see higher oil and IAT2 temps on Sunday in a session where I was pushing the car hard (for my driving capabilities). I saw oil get into the high 280's F and IAT2 was as high as 143F. Water was running around 235F at the time. I have an LG radiator in the car, a maggie charge cooler with a Redline tank and KP racing fittings and hoses. The ambient temps where around 89F when she finally got hot. I did a lap behind some slower cars and short shifted on the straight aways, which brought the temps back down to 260's for oil and 124 for IAT2. That lap was 10 seconds slower than my laps where I was running hard. The track is 2.9 miles long, for reference.

The car did a 50 minute session on Saturday, with a 5 minute break in the middle, in slower traffic and performed perfectly. It was also about 5-8 degrees cooler on Saturday. Sorry, I don't have any data logging on my car at this time, just a Dashlogic plugged in to see IA2.

So, anyone install a bigger oil cooler?

Last edited by Campfire; 05-06-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I swapped to the LG Zr1 Rad and noticed a 10* drop in oil temps on the track... I run Sebring in the 98* heat, and will get to the mid 270's after 5 or 6 hard laps on a 700 whp Zr1.. I don't think there is really any cooling out there to run a sustained 50 minute session as our session are 25 minutes here... Running 50 min straight is asking for trouble
Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Campfire
Instructor

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
I swapped to the LG Zr1 Rad and noticed a 10* drop in oil temps on the track... I run Sebring in the 98* heat, and will get to the mid 270's after 5 or 6 hard laps on a 700 whp Zr1.. I don't think there is really any cooling out there to run a sustained 50 minute session as our session are 25 minutes here... Running 50 min straight is asking for trouble
Our sessions were only 24 minutes but my instructor was having too much fun riding in my car so he wanted me to run with both the blue group and the blue solo group, doing a drive and follow with his other student. He only made me follow for two laps before he told me to go ahead and pass He was working on graduating me up to the solo group, as this was my first track weekend and I had to start in the green group but he was pleased with my attention to instruction and my skill.

Sunday when the car got hot was only a 22 minute session, they were cutting time because of the number of groups. I already have the big radiator and just about everything I can do to the charge cool system so, I was thinking the oil cooler is all that is left, in stock configurations right now. The other option that has crossed my mind is to weld some fins on the Redline tank and try to direct a little air flow past it to increase charge cool capacity, much like a finned differential cover.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 AM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your iat2s are still good at 143*

Wrap your oil lines from your sump to motor. They pass really close to headers. Every little bit helps...

TikT makes and external oil cooler I believe
Old 05-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Campfire
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Your iat2s are still good at 143*

Wrap your oil lines from your sump to motor. They pass really close to headers. Every little bit helps...

TikT makes and external oil cooler I believe
Thanks, I'll take a look at the lines when I put it back on the lift to drop the oil. I'll also see what TikT has. I know the numbers were still good but I would like a little more cushion as I'm sure I could have made it tap out if I'd have kept driving it the way I was.

Would there be any value in a reprogrammed Stewart pump in my application?
Old 05-07-2015, 01:26 AM
ace32x
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Going to an lsx block from the stock aluminum (and not being able to run the factory oil cooler due to the location being different on the lsx than stock) we fabbed up a oil cooler using the Lingenfelter universal plate that uses the port above the oil filter and ran some lines up and mounted it I between my d3pe heat exchanger and the radiator/ac condenser. Temps dropped 30 degrees from what I was seeing peak with no cooler hovered around 225. Now they stay between 190-210 under abuse.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Campfire
Instructor

Nice set up, thanks for the pic and description of the added oil cooler. Running the maggie, I don't have room to mount the cooler there but perhaps mounting that cooler somewhere else under the car and putting a small electric fan on it will accomplish the same effect.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil cooler upgrades

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Oil cooler upgrades