Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:34 AM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Default ZR vibration issues

Guys, I am in the market for a ZR1 and have been looking at a few. I realize there is a "sticky" on this issue but can someone give me the Coles notes versions of what to look for? Sorry, I don't want to read 28 pages of posts. Does it feel like a tire balance issue and is there a fix for it?

Thx and please no bashing.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:42 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas1500
Guys, I am in the market for a ZR1 and have been looking at a few. I realize there is a "sticky" on this issue but can someone give me the Coles notes versions of what to look for? Sorry, I don't want to read 28 pages of posts. Does it feel like a tire balance issue and is there a fix for it?

Thx and please no bashing.
My 2012 had this issue. Yes, it does feel like a tire out of balance on the front end. Usually happens anywhere from 65 MPH and up. You will definitely feel it in the steering wheel.The fix is having GM replace the rotors. You can sometimes drive thru it after 75 or 80 MPH but not always. If you happen to be looking at a very low mileage ZR1 that has spent most of its life sitting there is the possibility of a "flat spot" issue rather than the actual rotor vibration. If you have difficulty with GM you can have a top end tire store rebalance the tire/wheel assembly on the car. They can sometimes get all of the vibration out completely. That's the band aid though not the cure.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ufaj26
My 2012 had this issue. Yes, it does feel like a tire out of balance on the front end. Usually happens anywhere from 65 MPH and up. You will definitely feel it in the steering wheel.The fix is having GM replace the rotors. You can sometimes drive thru it after 75 or 80 MPH but not always. If you happen to be looking at a very low mileage ZR1 that has spent most of its life sitting there is the possibility of a "flat spot" issue rather than the actual rotor vibration. If you have difficulty with GM you can have a top end tire store rebalance the tire/wheel assembly on the car. They can sometimes get all of the vibration out completely. That's the band aid though not the cure.
Thanks very much for the reply. I knew someone would enlighten me...
Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas1500
Thanks very much for the reply. I knew someone would enlighten me...
Just purchased a 2010 with 640 miles. It sat for 2 years, on the ride home, the vibration was ridiculous. After being Road force balanced, it turned out the front left tire was shot.
Have never had this happen before with any of my cars, it was not the rotors.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Victory07
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Just purchased a 2010 with 640 miles. It sat for 2 years, on the ride home, the vibration was ridiculous. After being Road force balanced, it turned out the front left tire was shot.
Have never had this happen before with any of my cars, it was not the rotors.
Well you got lucky, good sir. Others have not been as fortunate as you.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:20 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

sometime I really think that those RF michelin are just a PITA to balance properly or even defective from the factory…my R888 balanced fine and no sign of vibration, unlikes my PS2 that always seem to have it here and there at random...
Old 06-17-2015, 12:45 PM
kuyarog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2012 ZR1 does not have a steering wheel vibration at any speed, but the 2010 ZR1 I test drove several years ago did at around 70 MPH or so. I believe the fix is balanced front rotors $$$.

Last edited by kuyarog; 06-17-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add to reply
Old 06-17-2015, 12:57 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

In nearly 28k miles, no such issues with my 2011 ZR1 rotors or tires. Replaced the front tires about 3k ago with PSS ZPs with Road Force balancing. Ride now smoother than the OEM factory balanced PS2 ZPs.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:57 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Victory07
Well you got lucky, good sir. Others have not been as fortunate as you.
Driving last nt, I thought I felt the vibration again. The highways are so $hitty here it's ridiculous. Just drove for another hour just now on a good strech of road, I think my mind is playing tricks on me....lol the car was smooth as I think it can be. Drove at all speeds and thought vibration had moved into another range 82-85 but again, it was my mistake.
I might swap these tires out next year, 5 years old and only 1000 miles, we will see.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Driving last nt, I thought I felt the vibration again. The highways are so $hitty here it's ridiculous. Just drove for another hour just now on a good strech of road, I think my mind is playing tricks on me....lol the car was smooth as I think it can be. Drove at all speeds and thought vibration had moved into another range 82-85 but again, it was my mistake.
I might swap these tires out next year, 5 years old and only 1000 miles, we will see.
DEF time for new tires if they are 5 yrs old, they get hard and more subjective to vibration. Once you have that "vibration" thing in your head you are always prone to "looking" for it If you have a constant wheel shake at certain speeds I would be concerned. If its a slight come and go wheel vibration they all do it ...................
Old 06-18-2015, 10:08 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
DEF time for new tires if they are 5 yrs old, they get hard and more subjective to vibration. Once you have that "vibration" thing in your head you are always prone to "looking" for it If you have a constant wheel shake at certain speeds I would be concerned. If its a slight come and go wheel vibration they all do it ...................
Im beginning to believe that, new tires next year, and i should be good.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:08 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

General question; this vibration issue was caught years ago - is it fair to say that the amount of vibration issue cars is reducing (due to the fact that many have already been dealt with over time)?

I am close to pulling the trigger on one and although I will do my best to test the car at 70+ MPH - I'm just wondering if the community is seeing this issue less and less?
Old 06-18-2015, 01:50 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
General question; this vibration issue was caught years ago - is it fair to say that the amount of vibration issue cars is reducing (due to the fact that many have already been dealt with over time)?

I am close to pulling the trigger on one and although I will do my best to test the car at 70+ MPH - I'm just wondering if the community is seeing this issue less and less?
Being one of the people that experienced this issue, I would agree that the number of cars with the issue should be less since a certain number of them should have been repaired. That being said, I would still be cautious about buying one without a test drive. I can also tell you that it may not show up in a test drive if by chance a prior owner had the wheel/tire combo balanced on the car to offset the imbalance in the rotor. It would not show up until you replaced a tire or wheel for any reason. Fortunately, this vibration issue did not affect a large number of ZR1's.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:01 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Being one of the people that experienced this issue, I would agree that the number of cars with the issue should be less since a certain number of them should have been repaired. That being said, I would still be cautious about buying one without a test drive. I can also tell you that it may not show up in a test drive if by chance a prior owner had the wheel/tire combo balanced on the car to offset the imbalance in the rotor. It would not show up until you replaced a tire or wheel for any reason. Fortunately, this vibration issue did not affect a large number of ZR1's.
Thanks for the comment - I agree and I will keep my eyes open and try to ask the right questions regarding wheels and alignment...
Old 06-18-2015, 04:32 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Since hearing about this vibration issue shortly after I bought my 2011 I immediately headed for the highway to check mine and it was smooth as glass. BUT from time to time I will get a vibration in the steering that usually goes away fairly quickly. I would swear my wheel weights just flew off but very smooth 99% of the time. I'm blaming this on the road and the wide tires. Find your self a few miles of smooth asphalt to do your test drive. If it's smooth there I'd ignore the odd vibration you will get from time to time. Hope this makes sense. A friend of mine with a 2010 reports the same thing happens to him.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:38 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by GMJim
Since hearing about this vibration issue shortly after I bought my 2011 I immediately headed for the highway to check mine and it was smooth as glass. BUT from time to time I will get a vibration in the steering that usually goes away fairly quickly. I would swear my wheel weights just flew off but very smooth 99% of the time. I'm blaming this on the road and the wide tires. Find your self a few miles of smooth asphalt to do your test drive. If it's smooth there I'd ignore the odd vibration you will get from time to time. Hope this makes sense. A friend of mine with a 2010 reports the same thing happens to him.
Thanks GMJim - I will do just that...
Old 06-18-2015, 06:52 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Happy to report after replacing my tires the vibration did not return. The only thing I get is the occasional vibration that is less than what I feel in the GS at times. SSs vs GYruncraps vs roads.......................

Originally Posted by GMJim
Most have been fixed and someit's so intermittent and random not worth worrying about. Must make sure the wheel is not shaking constantly and have a blast in the BEAST!

Get notified of new replies

To ZR vibration issues

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR vibration issues