Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] What do you use for wax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:02 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What do you use for wax?

I'm sure most of us have been through the products through the years of waxes, cleaners, and what you like best.

I have used numerous Griot's Garage stuff and recently a few products from Autogeek.net for numerus cars.
the top end carnauba's from autogeek can get pretty pricey but if they are noticeably different then I'm in.

Any experience with their Souveran Paste Wax? ($95 for a kit) or Griot's Paste Wax ($39.00)?

Many still swear by good Meguiars' stuff which are good...used them.

Your choice?
In my case, paint is in perfect condition, driven in no rainy conditions in SoCal. Color is Torch Red. No need at this point for clay, polish or cleaner as such.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:22 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Rejex.........use it even on your windshield.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Rejex.........use it even on your windshield.
Thanks. Never even heard of it. Reviews look good.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:23 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LGK-SD
I'm sure most of us have been through the products through the years of waxes, cleaners, and what you like best.

I have used numerous Griot's Garage stuff and recently a few products from Autogeek.net for numerus cars.
the top end carnauba's from autogeek can get pretty pricey but if they are noticeably different then I'm in.

Any experience with their Souveran Paste Wax? ($95 for a kit) or Griot's Paste Wax ($39.00)?

Many still swear by good Meguiars' stuff which are good...used them.

Your choice?
In my case, paint is in perfect condition, driven in no rainy conditions in SoCal. Color is Torch Red. No need at this point for clay, polish or cleaner as such.
If you want a mirror shine to "see your face in" this method will achieve exactly that.

If you have swirls, smudges or fine scratches use Meguiars Ultimate Compound "Color and Clarity Restorer". This is an extremely fine chemical cutter safe on clearcoat and I can guarantee it will give you a mirror reflection finish. I have tried so many different products and nothing I can find is remotely better than this.

Once you have the mirror finish use the Meguiars Tech Wax 2 (purple bottle) which is a polymer product to give and keep that deep flawless show car finish. What an amazingly simple product to apply - I use it about every two months but then I am a fanatic.

Both these products wipe off extremely simply with zero residue. And best of all they are cheap and last for years - there is no need to use large quantities.

I realise you say your paint is in excellent condition so try shining a small LED headlamp directly into the paint from about 6 inches away as that will expose the slightest smudge or imperfection and if the reflection is not perfect, use the polish first because it makes a huge difference.

Not every Meguiars product is perfect but these two are stunning.

A couple of photos are on my garage.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Originally Posted by ZIE06Bernie
If you want a mirror shine to "see your face in" this method will achieve exactly that.

If you have swirls, smudges or fine scratches use Meguiars Ultimate Compound "Color and Clarity Restorer". This is an extremely fine chemical cutter safe on clearcoat and I can guarantee it will give you a mirror reflection finish. I have tried so many different products and nothing I can find is remotely better than this.

Once you have the mirror finish use the Meguiars Tech Wax 2 (purple bottle) which is a polymer product to give and keep that deep flawless show car finish. What an amazingly simple product to apply - I use it about every two months but then I am a fanatic.

Both these products wipe off extremely simply with zero residue. And best of all they are cheap and last for years - there is no need to use large quantities.

I realise you say your paint is in excellent condition so try shining a small LED headlamp directly into the paint from about 6 inches away as that will expose the slightest smudge or imperfection and if the reflection is not perfect, use the polish first because it makes a huge difference.

Not every Meguiars product is perfect but these two are stunning.

A couple of photos are on my garage.
I'll do the LED test. When you say the "polish" I assume you are referring to the Compound product you mention? (I have used that Compound before on cars with paint of much lesser quality than this Vette, and you are right...excellent product). For this car, my assumption was that compound may be too harsh an abrasive for it.

Regardless, it sounds like you love the results and consistency of the Tech Wax 2.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:32 PM
let er eat
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I have used a myriad of products but my typical "go to" wax is zymol...it can get a little powdery upon removal if you apply to thick but it leaves a shine that is deep and rich. I have the monterrey red metallic paint and it has that deep color like it's actually a fluid.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:00 AM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with two of the comments above. First, you would probably benefit from some paint prep. Also, Zymol is my go to product. I think it also depends on if you want really shiny, or a very deep shine. Many are happy with clear bra for instance, which enables you to get the car very shiny but lacks depth. The difference is slight, but significant if important to you. Think about the difference of looking at Art through clean glass v no glass. My experience is Zymol gives very good results although it alway amazes me that it takes a few hours to "set". Initially does not look much different. We have done same paint color side by side. My best results have been with Zymol concours glaze. Very expensive for the container but not so much on a per wax basis. After it sets, it is not shiny, it has a very clear reflection and a lot of depth. Again, depends on what is important to you. The prep is really important. If the car is a few months old, clay and a very light swirl remover are likely to improve the results (use LED test recommended above to determine if you need swirl remover). Good luck.

PS - I am sure we will get some responses defending clear bra and synthetic polishes and they do get very "shiny" results. In my opinion, this is the same way looking at something through a pice of glass makes it"shiny" but reduces clarity.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:23 AM
LGK-SD
Pro

Originally Posted by howl
I agree with two of the comments above. First, you would probably benefit from some paint prep. Also, Zymol is my go to product. I think it also depends on if you want really shiny, or a very deep shine. Many are happy with clear bra for instance, which enables you to get the car very shiny but lacks depth. The difference is slight, but significant if important to you. Think about the difference of looking at Art through clean glass v no glass. My experience is Zymol gives very good results although it alway amazes me that it takes a few hours to "set". Initially does not look much different. We have done same paint color side by side. My best results have been with Zymol concours glaze. Very expensive for the container but not so much on a per wax basis. After it sets, it is not shiny, it has a very clear reflection and a lot of depth. Again, depends on what is important to you. The prep is really important. If the car is a few months old, clay and a very light swirl remover are likely to improve the results (use LED test recommended above to determine if you need swirl remover). Good luck.

PS - I am sure we will get some responses defending clear bra and synthetic polishes and they do get very "shiny" results. In my opinion, this is the same way looking at something through a pice of glass makes it"shiny" but reduces clarity.
I have used Zymol Concours back when a used Ferrari Dino GT in Fly Yellow could be bought for $20k in excellent shape...aging myself. Good stuff but I remember how tough it was to remove. Maybe they have improved that in the modern day but yeah, always been pricey.
This Vette is a '10, 4700 miles in SoCal and always garaged. I need to do the LED test to see if it needs prep. Got the car and started a new job so time with the car until this weekend has been minimal.
To answer your question, I like depth of shine vs just being glass like shine. I like the art analogy.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:26 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I use HD Poxy which is a Hybrid Sealant/Wax which has a much higher melting point as opposed to carnuaba wax, theres a bunch of distributors in So cal that sell it. Look on 3dproducts.com to find one by you.

Also anytime you wax a car you should clay it or atleast do the baggy test the paint has no contamination that needs to be removed by clay

Last edited by LS9Drew; 07-24-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:47 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm still a fan of Zaino. For mass market products Meguiars has come a long way. The new "Ultimate" line is like a mass produced synthetic wax like Zaino was making over 10 years ago and I use a combination of both products on my cars.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:35 PM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LGK-SD
I have used Zymol Concours back when a used Ferrari Dino GT in Fly Yellow could be bought for $20k in excellent shape...aging myself. Good stuff but I remember how tough it was to remove. Maybe they have improved that in the modern day but yeah, always been pricey.
This Vette is a '10, 4700 miles in SoCal and always garaged. I need to do the LED test to see if it needs prep. Got the car and started a new job so time with the car until this weekend has been minimal.
To answer your question, I like depth of shine vs just being glass like shine. I like the art analogy.
Yes, I have a couple of Ferraris and the paint looks great with the concourse glaze. I think the paint quality on the older Ferraris like your former Dino is better (virtually no orange peel) so really benefits from a superior wax. With regard to application, as you are not supposed to let the concourse wax dry, my son follows me quickly with a buffing cloth. I do not know if they changed the formulation, but seems to come up pretty easily.

Good luck. Glad you liked the glass analogy. Seemed consistent with what my eye sees as the difference in some of these products particularly comparing a quality wax with a silicone based product.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I don't use no stinkin' wax...

(too lazy !)

(lots of clear-film)
Old 07-24-2015, 09:55 PM
let er eat
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Ok...so zymol has a wax that is 9500 bucks...granted you get 44oz...wtf lol
Old 07-24-2015, 11:38 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

LGK do the LED light test - I use a very bright single LED which works just great - it will give you an instant proof of whether your paint is perfect or needs work. The slightest blur or marks will stand out like a beacon. If the image of the LED in the paintwork is not a perfect reflection then your paint will need work. Once you have the mirror finish, maintaining it with techwax is a 30 minute job every so often.

And by the way the Ultimate compound is such a fine chemical cutting medium that use on the clear coat of the Vette will give you that perfect deep shine and in no way damages the paint because it is NOT an abrasive product like old cutters which scratch crap out of your surface. And best of all the work required is way less than other products BECAUSE it wipes off with a microfibre cloth and zero drama.

Cheap excellent and perfect finish. Price is no gauge of quality.

PS Don't use Meguiars Leather products - they are not a patch on other brands eg like Mothers.

Last edited by ZIE06Bernie; 07-24-2015 at 11:43 PM. Reason: picture
Old 07-25-2015, 01:34 PM
QuickSilvRob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info guys, think Ill give the Meguiars stuff a shot...
Old 07-25-2015, 06:10 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

OK..several very enthusiastic testimonials going on here on fav's. That settles it...I need to buy 3 Vettes and try one on each.
(Any excuse I can find!!)
Old 07-25-2015, 06:33 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by INTRCUL
I'm still a fan of Zaino. For mass market products Meguiars has come a long way. The new "Ultimate" line is like a mass produced synthetic wax like Zaino was making over 10 years ago and I use a combination of both products on my cars.
I used Zaino for years..but got tired of doing everything by hand.

Though I guess if we're *just* talking wax which you apply by hand anyway, yeah it's great stuff.

I use ADAMS products these days. I have a flex polisher and use the microfiber pad to start and finish with fine machine polish and white foam pad. I use their "buttery wax" because it goes on easy and comes off easy. Underneath that I use their spray on quick sealer (machine super sealer takes 24 hours to cure and I don't notice any difference in protection). Stuff lasts all winter on my outside car.

I know a few people who use the Griot's stuff and I'm sure it's great but I have no reason to ditch what works well for me.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you use for wax?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:22 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

OK so here is what wasn't mentioned with any detail (pun intended).

Assuming no swirl marks in the paint to remove:

Griot's Fine Hand Polish

Finish with Griot's Best of Show Wax

Both Liquid.

If swirl marks, have used their #3 Machine Polish first. (Or clay before that if needed).

I have plenty left of both polish and wax from past jobs. I think the shine is average. I have used them on white to grey to blue to black cars and they seem to lack depth and the wax is not easy to remove. they may be better for the paint than the shine they produce which is not a terrible thing.
No problem leaving them to do my wife's daily driver (sorry honey)...
Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I just did my Black ZR1 with Pinnacle compounds and Zaino on top. Here are the results.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM
LGK-SD
Pro

Originally Posted by kevakasper
I just did my Black ZR1 with Pinnacle compounds and Zaino on top. Here are the results.

Very nice indeed. So I tried the Ultimate Compound from MeGuiar's. I guess my paint was as good as I thought (kudo's to the original owner I just bought the car from), as I saw a very small difference doing the LED light test. But that's OK. I have the baseline now.
About 6 months ago, after restoring an original 1940 Chevy Master Deluxe Coupe I left the original black 75 year old factory paint as is. The final wax for that (after compound, glazing and polish) was the DP Max Wax from autogeek.net. It did a fantastic job for both depth and shine considering the paint. I will use that to finish this off for now.
(By the way for a test, as much as I have always loved Simichrome for metals, I tried the Ultimate Compound on the exhaust tips...in and out. I was surprised what a great job it did even on that.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] What do you use for wax?