Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] anyone drive a new Z06 and still like your ZR better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:37 AM
vara
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default anyone drive a new Z06 and still like your ZR better?

I am asking the question, because this fall we will finally be getting an allocation for a Z06 and I currently have a ZR1. I am still leaning towards my ZR after talking to a guy who owns both and races them and still says the Z is still more fun. Sure, the interior on the new stingray is fancier and boasts a lot of gadgets which is to be expected with technology upgrades, but I guess I still like the raw power of my Z. I kind of get a kick out of people who say that the Z06 makes them a better driver compared to this car. Perhaps, but I have no true hands on experience.
I have never thought the Z was too much too handle, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I am just curious to see if anyone has bought one and kept their Z as well and can speak from experience.

I still get a charge out of driving mine. You just don't see many Zs on the road and I'm pretty sure over time you will see a few more Z06s out there.
Then of course there are all the rumors on the web of a new and more powerful Vette called Zora. If that ever came to fruition I would definitely put my name in for one of those!

Thanks for the feedback...

Old 07-29-2015, 09:24 AM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default z06

There is a current thread in the Z06 section (anyone else miss their ZR1) that you should look at particularly as it is in the Z06 section. I would expect answers in the ZR1 section to be biased in favor of ZR1and those in the Z06 section to be biased in favor of the Z06. Makes it interesting as a few people who responded in the C7 Z06 section miss their ZR1's.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 AM
JJB500
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I was you I would just test drive a new Z and see what I like better! I've seen the other thread and as usual they evolve into a pissing match.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:28 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by howl
There is a current thread in the Z06 section (anyone else miss their ZR1) that you should look at particularly as it is in the Z06 section. I would expect answers in the ZR1 section to be biased in favor of ZR1and those in the Z06 section to be biased in favor of the Z06. Makes it interesting as a few people who responded in the C7 Z06 section miss their ZR1's.

good thread once you filter out the none sense of either camp. There IS an issue with overheating during hot track days, so that alone would really make me pounder hard about the car especially if you plan on running HPDE's in the future (you'd have to improve cooling system etc…thus an added expense)…but if you are not, then it's a moot point. Go test drive one (I guess most dealer won't let you so drive a C7 at least) so you can get a feel and decide if you at least like the platform.
For instance, I had a C6 base, I was able to test drove a C6Z06, bought that, then upgraded to the ZR1 never have test drove one because I like the C6 platform, so to me, it was more of an already good thing thus no test drive needed. I would expect the same can be said of the C7 as a platform: if you like the Base C7, chances are, you'll like the Z06 just as much if not more…
Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

I have, and I prefer the C6 to the C7. The C7 feels numbed, kind of like there's something between you and the car. With the ZR1 I feel more connected to the road and with the new Z I feel like there's something there stopping me from feeling that mechanical connection. It's not a bad car, but I do prefer the ZR1 to the new Z06. Styling and comfort is of course subjective, but in both cases I prefer the ZR1 as well.

YMMV.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991

good thread once you filter out the none sense of either camp. There IS an issue with overheating during hot track days, so that alone would really make me pounder hard about the car especially if you plan on running HPDE's in the future (you'd have to improve cooling system etc…thus an added expense)…but if you are not, then it's a moot point. Go test drive one (I guess most dealer won't let you so drive a C7 at least) so you can get a feel and decide if you at least like the platform.
For instance, I had a C6 base, I was able to test drove a C6Z06, bought that, then upgraded to the ZR1 never have test drove one because I like the C6 platform, so to me, it was more of an already good thing thus no test drive needed. I would expect the same can be said of the C7 as a platform: if you like the Base C7, chances are, you'll like the Z06 just as much if not more…

I agree with mirage2991 above.

I'm considering a convertible purchase and the C7 Z06 is appealing. I wouldn't track a convertible so the track performance concerns don't apply for me, but I still have reservations about any vehicle concerns that might impact vehicle reliability, particularly when spending $100+k for a pleasure vehicle.

To experience the C7 Z06, I introduced myself to a local C7 Z06 A8 coupe owner. We shared passenger drives in our respective cars.
I own a '13 ZR1 that has been absolutely problem-free in 2 years of ownership - what I would expect.

Suggestion: See if a local C7 Z06 owner will take you for a drive.

I really like my ZR1 but after the passenger ride in the C7 Z06, I felt like my car was a 'dinosaur' (exaggerative for effect; more on this later).

Notable differences - I agree with others that the C7 interior feels more expensive and modern, subjectively more befitting a $100+k vehicle.

Acceleration was similar, therefore not much of a difference. But the A8 made the car feel very responsive; simply press on the gas and the A8 immediately kicked down a gear or two (maybe four or five gears?) to 'catapult' forward. The manual transmission of the ZR1 meant anticipating downshifts so you would be in the right gear to 'catapult' forward with a poke of the gas.
My personal bias for driving enjoyment is to coordinate three pedals and a manual gear box to achieve peak performance. The A8 doesn't apply for my decision-making.

C7 Z06 Info Technology and the various aps/menus that the driver can access/scrol to provide vehicle information/adjustments/etc. is vast. Wow!
It was the available info technology in the C7 Z06 that prompted me to characterize my ZR1 as a 'dinosaur'. The C7 Z06 feels much more modern.
If you like/love info technology, the C7 Z06 eclipses the ZR1 'big time'.

So there's my opinions.

Have fun with your search.
Hope you enjoy the ride!
Old 07-30-2015, 03:51 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Re label to "Any put over 5,000 miles on each driving daily still love the ZR1
more?
You need more than just a drive. Took a month or two before it really hit home with me. I no longer needed the ZR1 The Z06 is the better rig in my book, handling and ride wise. 700 horse with the simple Halltech and high 28.9 MPG in 8 cly mode. I never raced them the new m7 Z trashed a new GTR that was not stock. My Z06 is fast.
My ZR1 is gone. The new owner is stoked with it. 2 Z06's remain for me.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:25 AM
ROCKGT
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default anyone drive a new Z06 and still like your ZR better?

The new Z06 should be better than the C6 ZR1.
At the end, we are going to be left with exclusivity alone (only about 4,400 made).
I love my ZR1, but if wasn't for that ugly rear end, I would have the new Z06.
Is the Z06 Manual really faster than a GT-R ?
I thought that was 911 Turbo S territory only.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 AM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Simple answer., No.

The ZR is a phenomenal car, no doubt. but i'm not a collector, i don't have a kid that i want to pass it down to and i'm all for progression.
For my needs the C7 Z is a significant step up from the ZR.

You need to ask yourself - what's important to you and take it from there. From the sounds of it - you're content with the ZR, so just stick with it and enjoy. If your #1 priority is speed, i can tell you first hand the ZR is faster up top.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Tobynt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I traded my ZR-1 for a new Z06 with Z07 option and the new A8. Two completely different cars. But, I am in the process of buying another ZR1. I miss it and wish I would have kept it the first time. So, now I will have both.

I am not sure how to compare them except to say they are two different cars.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM
m2aclark
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An acquaintance here in Texas took delivery of one of the first C7 Z06's around while keeping a 2009 ZR1. Within 2 months the Z06 was gone in favor of keeping the ZR1.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 PM
Breck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vara
I am asking the question, because this fall we will finally be getting an allocation for a Z06 and I currently have a ZR1. I am still leaning towards my ZR after talking to a guy who owns both and races them and still says the Z is still more fun. Sure, the interior on the new stingray is fancier and boasts a lot of gadgets which is to be expected with technology upgrades, but I guess I still like the raw power of my Z. I kind of get a kick out of people who say that the Z06 makes them a better driver compared to this car. Perhaps, but I have no true hands on experience.
I have never thought the Z was too much too handle, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I am just curious to see if anyone has bought one and kept their Z as well and can speak from experience.

I still get a charge out of driving mine. You just don't see many Zs on the road and I'm pretty sure over time you will see a few more Z06s out there.
Then of course there are all the rumors on the web of a new and more powerful Vette called Zora. If that ever came to fruition I would definitely put my name in for one of those!

Thanks for the feedback...

I have a 2011 ZR1 and a 2015 Z06 with z07 package. Both great cars but different. If I had to choose I can honestly say I'm still a C6 ZR1 fan!!!
I've tracked them both on the corvette track ( I live 5 minutes from the track .... So I can honestly give you an accurate feedback.
Breck
Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM
HottubChampion
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seeing the new Z06 is completely new, running DI and has less than desirable results on the supercharger I would let the first couple model year runs take out any bugs. Just an example but C6 Z06 had several revisions, 2008 got the tr6060 and ZR1 oil pan and in 2011 got the ZR1 oil cooler. I'm sure I'm missing something but you get the idea.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:34 AM
Tobynt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hottub brings up a good point. In 16, Carbon brakes are available without the required Z07 package..only saves a few hundred bucks.

Front approach cameras are coming in 16. They are also putting the trans cooler system from the 15 Z06 A8 on all corvettes with an A8 trans. Oh...and the big one. Rear power closer latch on the 16 and up. This car is so tight and the rear hatch is so light...it is actually a pain not having something to go ahead and pull the rear hatch down when you shut it.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:46 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Since you like the zr so much, why not keep it for a couple more years as the worst of the depreciation is over, see what updates and improvements they make in coming years, and then decide when the z is going for 10k off msrp easily.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone drive a new Z06 and still like your ZR better?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] anyone drive a new Z06 and still like your ZR better?