Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Trouble with Programming FOB #2

Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Trouble with Programming 2nd Factory FOB

Followed all the steps in the manual instructions, and put a fresh 2032 battery in it.
The FOB I have used since getting the car has a "2" marked on the bottom of it. The spare stock FOB has a "1" and apparently that was not programmed by the original owner (?):

So want to program #1
I did the key in the trunk thing and yes the DIC read all the right messages throughout.
After inserting the FOB I want to program into the glove box slot, the DIC immediately read Ready for #3 FOB. That means that FOB was programmed I assume? Happens pretty quickly. Maybe too quickly....

The one thing I did not hear is the beep that the manual says will sound after any FOB has completed programming. Left it in for awhile and still no beep.

Took the FOB out and pressed the Unlock button to complete the process, then tried it and nothing. Even made sure the primary FOB was away from the car.

Ideas?

Last edited by LGK-SD; 03-28-2016 at 05:19 PM. Reason: more details
Old 03-28-2016, 05:38 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

[QUOTE=LGK-SD;1591874792]Followed all the steps in the manual instructions, and put a fresh 2032 battery in it.
The FOB I have used since getting the car has a "2" marked on the bottom of it. The spare stock FOB has a "1" and apparently that was not programmed by the original owner (?):

So want to program #1
I did the key in the trunk thing and yes the DIC read all the right messages throughout.
After inserting the FOB I want to program into the glove box slot, the DIC immediately read Ready for #3 FOB. That means that FOB was programmed I assume? Happens pretty quickly. Maybe too quickly....

The one thing I did not hear is the beep that the manual says will sound after any FOB has completed programming. Left it in for awhile and still no beep.

Took the FOB out and pressed the Unlock button to complete the process, then tried it and nothing. Even made sure the primary FOB was away from the car.

Hope this may help. I also saw something that said the M6 needs to be in the reverse gear.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glove box slot.
1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

Last edited by ufaj26; 03-28-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:18 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

[QUOTE=ufaj26;1591875294]
Originally Posted by LGK-SD
Followed all the steps in the manual instructions, and put a fresh 2032 battery in it.

So want to program #1

Hope this may help. I also saw something that said the M6 needs to be in the reverse gear.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glove box slot.
1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).
Thanks man. This is a little bit more detail (especially step 8 above) you provided than what is written in the owners manual. Will retry with what you wrote, but yes the working FOB was close by. Cellphone was about 20 ft away. All it said was make sure car is off. Never saw anything about it being in a gear.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:33 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That was news to me although I have never had to do this yet but found it here:

Place the transmission in PARK (A/T) or REVERSE (M/T) and shut the vehicle OFF.
Open the rear compartment.
Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds .
The following users liked this post:
LGK-SD (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:28 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Originally Posted by ufaj26
That was news to me although I have never had to do this yet but found it here:

Place the transmission in PARK (A/T) or REVERSE (M/T) and shut the vehicle OFF.
Open the rear compartment.
Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds .
STILL DOESN'T WORK after doing all of the above steps.

When the DIC comes on after doing the trunk lock steps, it does immediately read "Ready for FOB #3". When I insert it it does display "Known FOB" then goes back to "Ready for FOB #3". Then it just sits there until the DIC display times out (about 3 minutes). So it never gets to "Ready for FOB #4". No beep and FOB doesn't program. NOTE: Push to start button is always in the OFF position.
How long do they typically take to program?

Last edited by LGK-SD; 03-28-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:06 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Holy crap. Anyway, found this and hope it helps. Covers about everything.

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6%20Fob%20Programming.pdf

Last edited by ufaj26; 03-29-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:22 AM
LGK-SD
Pro

Originally Posted by ufaj26
Holy crap. Anyway, found this and hope it helps. Covers about everything.

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6%20Fob%20Programming.pdf
Thanks. It does cover a lot. Sort of curious that the steps never say when you insert the new FOB that it will first say "Known FOB". My assumption is that is simply a verification alert that implies...yeah you have the right kind of unit. But also thinking..when it displays that, is the system assuming that the FOB has already been programmed and therefore not doing anything new?
Other than that I don't see anything that I am not doing. BTW....I heard from service at a local dealer that it take 10-15 minutes for the FOB to complete programming. (?).

Last edited by LGK-SD; 03-29-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:45 PM
borlandboyd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fab

In addition to the instructions I saw you were sent, you may want to disconnect the battery, and then reconnect.

Not sure I read through everything currently but do you have a working fab at this time?
The following users liked this post:
LGK-SD (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 05:58 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Originally Posted by borlandboyd
In addition to the instructions I saw you were sent, you may want to disconnect the battery, and then reconnect.

Not sure I read through everything currently but do you have a working fab at this time?
All is fixed. Because the DIC times out sooner than the programming can occur, I over rode the battery saver by putting the headlamps on. That then allowed the 10 min programming to take place and complete itself. That was the issue. The DIC was not on long enough to have it cycle.

By the way...2 major dealers, one local and another one in the midwest were useless in talking to their service departments about any hints. And one of them was where the car came from.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 PM
borlandboyd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: fab

Originally Posted by LGK-SD
All is fixed. Because the DIC times out sooner than the programming can occur, I over rode the battery saver by putting the headlamps on. That then allowed the 10 min programming to take place and complete itself. That was the issue. The DIC was not on long enough to have it cycle.

By the way...2 major dealers, one local and another one in the midwest were useless in talking to their service departments about any hints. And one of them was where the car came from.
Sounds familiar.
My battery had gone dead and I had installed a body kit but had yet to reattach though all latch mechanism. Therefore I was locked out of the car.

The phone did not work, therefore I could not jack up the car and jump it from the starter.

I used to look thin piece of flexible strong steel wire to snag the emergency door open latch and get in the car.

Even though the battery read for a charged after charging it and the voltage was appropriate at about 14 V I replaced The battery.

I had reprogrammed filed for a few different people so was familiar with the process.

There was no dealer or Locksmith anywhere that had any idea of what to do.

As I had redone the whole interior of the car (as well as the motor and body), I even considered possibly the antenna that picks up the slot had been somehow damaged when I had wrapped the dash and glovebox.

I only had a brand new fab. Normally I could have programmed going through the steps or via my computer to the OB2 port.

Neither would work.
Long story short I was finally able to do it via alternative method but it was extremely time consuming.

Congratulations on figuring out the problem yourself!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:41 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Originally Posted by borlandboyd
Sounds familiar.
My battery had gone dead and I had installed a body kit but had yet to reattach though all latch mechanism. Therefore I was locked out of the car.

The phone did not work, therefore I could not jack up the car and jump it from the starter.

I used to look thin piece of flexible strong steel wire to snag the emergency door open latch and get in the car.

Even though the battery read for a charged after charging it and the voltage was appropriate at about 14 V I replaced The battery.

I had reprogrammed filed for a few different people so was familiar with the process.

There was no dealer or Locksmith anywhere that had any idea of what to do.

As I had redone the whole interior of the car (as well as the motor and body), I even considered possibly the antenna that picks up the slot had been somehow damaged when I had wrapped the dash and glovebox.

I only had a brand new fab. Normally I could have programmed going through the steps or via my computer to the OB2 port.

Neither would work.
Long story short I was finally able to do it via alternative method but it was extremely time consuming.

Congratulations on figuring out the problem yourself!
Wow...I would not have traded problems with you!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble with Programming FOB #2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Trouble with Programming FOB #2