Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 2011 Inferno Orange ZR1 in Phoenix at Carmax, 50k miles, what will it bring??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:04 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Same here, I looked at an A0 Z06 at CarMax with 30k miles, man that thing was ROUGH!

It scared me away for sure!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:48 PM
CobraAaron
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
thanks for the response. This is exactly why i didn't buy an atomic orange Z06 from carmax. It had some major blemishes that I kept pointing out. One of the saleman told me loudly that if I wanted a perfect car that I should go buy a new one. I replied to him that he could go **** himself and left immediately.
That sounds almost word for word how my conversation ended with them before I walked out haha.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraAaron
I can go down the list of things I saw and felt while driving:
  • Gouge in the driver's door exposing raw fiberglass
  • Cigarette burn in the driver's side carpet to the left of the driver's seat
  • Traction control button so "sticky" you could barely press it... after it was pressed, it wouldn't return to it's original position. You could tell that soda or some other type of liquid had been on that center console for a long while.
  • Clutch fluid was probably the dirtiest I've ever seen on any C6
  • Pretty nasty curb rash on two of the wheels
  • Several paint chips in the usual areas but they did not do a good job with the spot correction
  • Weird acceleration lag (I've driven plenty of ZR1s and know how they should feel) that I can't quite pinpoint. Throttle response was weak.

Again, anyone can argue if those things should be expected based on that mileage, but I would be surprised if that car sold at that price given what other ZR1s in better condition are selling for.

Not to mention that Carmax absolutely could not tell me the history of where the car had been SINCE CARMAX AQUIRED IT. It took weeks of talking to everyone (including management) and never got a straight answer.

Some said they "just got the car in" other Carmax employees said "there's no way it was in Arizona" until I showed them proof. All of the employees claimed that it wasn't even for sale in August, until I showed them proof again. Long story of everyone I talked to at multiple Carmax's trying to get what I thought would be basic information. They came across as trying to hide things. They aren't the kind of place that is prepared to deal with "car guys." They specialize in volume.

Unfortunately for them, they will end up losing money on this car. That's why I said it's not worth what they're asking for it.

I didn't mind losing my $600 transfer fee to go buy a decent condition ZR1 from somewhere else that wasn't trying to hide things. Mileage doesn't scare me. But the incompetency of the dealership and condition of the vehicle made it an easy decision to walk away from.
Honestly, camax sells ****......
Old 03-23-2017, 11:40 AM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Honestly, camax sells ****......
Carmax has very nice cars, average cars, shitty cars and nice cars that became shitty after spending too much time on their lot around their negligent employees, joy riders and transport companies. All of the above categories are priced at the average number their computer spits out regardless of condition, options or rarity, so they end up having great deals, average deals and horrible deals.

The 6 cars I rescued from Carmax (including my current ZR1) have all been very clean, low mileage high option and incredible prices, but I've walked on countless others that were either messed up by Carmax, the transport companies or the people they let joy ride them with no questions asked.

Every time I buy a car from them, I take it to my local dealer for a thorough inspection, I run the history and track down prior owners etc. I've had no issues with the 6 cars I got from Carmax, but I've seen countless other cars I didn't buy messed up by Carmax with shoddy touch up work, careless scratches transport damage etc. If you do due diligence, you can get some great deals, but I have low expectations any time I go see a car on their lot until I see with my own eyes it's not messed up by them yet.
The following users liked this post:
Brandon619 (04-01-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

I can go down the list of things I saw and felt while driving:
  • Gouge in the driver's door exposing raw fiberglass
  • Cigarette burn in the driver's side carpet to the left of the driver's seat
  • Traction control button so "sticky" you could barely press it... after it was pressed, it wouldn't return to it's original position. You could tell that soda or some other type of liquid had been on that center console for a long while.
  • Clutch fluid was probably the dirtiest I've ever seen on any C6
  • Pretty nasty curb rash on two of the wheels
  • Several paint chips in the usual areas but they did not do a good job with the spot correction
  • Weird acceleration lag (I've driven plenty of ZR1s and know how they should feel) that I can't quite pinpoint. Throttle response was weak.

Again, anyone can argue if those things should be expected based on that mileage, but I would be surprised if that car sold at that price given what other ZR1s in better condition are selling for.

Not to mention that Carmax absolutely could not tell me the history of where the car had been SINCE CARMAX AQUIRED IT. It took weeks of talking to everyone (including management) and never got a straight answer.

Some said they "just got the car in" other Carmax employees said "there's no way it was in Arizona" until I showed them proof. All of the employees claimed that it wasn't even for sale in August, until I showed them proof again. Long story of everyone I talked to at multiple Carmax's trying to get what I thought would be basic information. They came across as trying to hide things. They aren't the kind of place that is prepared to deal with "car guys." They specialize in volume.

Unfortunately for them, they will end up losing money on this car. That's why I said it's not worth what they're asking for it.

I didn't mind losing my $600 transfer fee to go buy a decent condition ZR1 from somewhere else that wasn't trying to hide things. Mileage doesn't scare me. But the incompetency of the dealership and condition of the vehicle made it an easy decision to walk away from.
I was curious about the story on that car. Thanks for the sharing first hand info with others.

Iseecars is a good way of tracking where a car has been.
http://www.iseecars.com/vin-1G1YN2DT9B5800623-c6510

That poor ZR1 has been passed around more than a shelter dog. Ever time Carmax transfers a car, it takes a few weeks for it to reach it's destination since the transports gather up and shift groups of cars around from and to multiple locations. My hunch is that the only thing wrong with the car when it came in was the mileage and the price. The rest of the stuff likely happened in the 1,121 joy ride miles under Carmax's custody. Spills and burns probably occurred when employees took it out for lunch & smoke breaks. They often reuse the initial intake photos when a car gets resisted, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is damage on that car at this point not shown in the original photos.

Carmax's Orange ZR1

While they don't haggle on price, they typically keep lowering a price until a car sells. If it goes low enough someone will eventually buy and hopefully fixe her up. A ZR1 deserves better treatment than that.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:07 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Just remembered this story too ... kind of funny, but sad at the same time.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/about-...zr1-1768354075
Old 03-23-2017, 09:34 PM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Geesh...the mileage has gone UP by 1k since they listed it; how does that happen?
Old 03-24-2017, 01:20 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

They've made enough money on transfer fees to lower the asking at this point
Old 03-24-2017, 12:39 PM
CobraAaron
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
I was curious about the story on that car. Thanks for the sharing first hand info with others.

Iseecars is a good way of tracking where a car has been.
http://www.iseecars.com/vin-1G1YN2DT9B5800623-c6510

That poor ZR1 has been passed around more than a shelter dog. Ever time Carmax transfers a car, it takes a few weeks for it to reach it's destination since the transports gather up and shift groups of cars around from and to multiple locations. My hunch is that the only thing wrong with the car when it came in was the mileage and the price. The rest of the stuff likely happened in the 1,121 joy ride miles under Carmax's custody. Spills and burns probably occurred when employees took it out for lunch & smoke breaks. They often reuse the initial intake photos when a car gets resisted, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is damage on that car at this point not shown in the original photos.

Carmax's Orange ZR1

While they don't haggle on price, they typically keep lowering a price until a car sells. If it goes low enough someone will eventually buy and hopefully fixe her up. A ZR1 deserves better treatment than that.
Agree with what you said. I'm cool with getting a car with higher mileage and one that's been shipped around the country... but I can't trust a dealer that cannot tell me where their inventory has been and then argues with me that it was NEVER in AZ and they did not have it in their possession in August... kept up that argument after I showed the VIN history websites and then I CALLED the other Carmax places and they confirmed that IT WAS there. It's just too shady to me.

In all honesty, their systems may just hide all of those details from them. But that's almost worse since consumers can find that information easier than the Carmax employees.

One of my major concerns was that someone bought it and returned it since the mileage jumped up so high between the first transfer. Of course they denied that anyone had bought it... but I said, "how do you know, since you don't even know what dealership it was at?" haha.

The entire experience was a joke to say the least. Not to mention the condition of the car was questionable. I've bought other cars from Carmax and had decent experiences. But I will not do business with that company again.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:25 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
They've made enough money on transfer fees to lower the asking at this point
They must have thought the same as they dropped it $1K yesterday.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:38 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

... I can't trust a dealer that cannot tell me where their inventory has been and then argues with me that it was NEVER in AZ and they did not have it in their possession in August... kept up that argument after I showed the VIN history websites and then I CALLED the other Carmax places and they confirmed that IT WAS there. It's just too shady to me.
Show them image 9 from the Carmax listing where the car clearly shows it's sitting in AZ and see if they are willing to stick with that story.

Honestly, if there are any marks on that car that you can verify aren't in the photos (door / wheels etc), I'd demand your transfer money back. They are still showing very old photos of the car at this point that aren't representative of it's current mileage & condition.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:16 PM
Carlinsatx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to look at it but then I remembered the 2 cars I've bought from them both needed transmissions within 2 years only luck was warranty we bought

Last edited by Carlinsatx; 03-27-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:01 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by INTRCUL
Intake is OEM so more likely it's stock.

I think about 69 total IO's were made, I have one of them
That's what the Corvette Black Book says.

46 2011 IOs, 16 2012 IOs, 7 2013 IOs.

That's 69 ZR1 IOs. There were IOs in other models during those model years.
The following users liked this post:
SteveDoten (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 05:34 PM
downhil
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Down to $49....tempting.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:26 AM
slammin86
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by downhil
Down to $49....tempting.
Not if there is a hole in the door hahalol
Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 AM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

damn if only it were closer...only problem that worries me would be the acceleration lag. might be nothing but who knows. tempted to transfer it to mass
Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by njk4o5
damn if only it were closer...only problem that worries me would be the acceleration lag. might be nothing but who knows. tempted to transfer it to mass
It's real tempting for the price if it checked out mechanically. I figured a good body shop could clean up the exterior for about 1k. Depending on the cue rash you could clean them up and powder coat them or love with it. Drop it off at CBI street cars for intake, cam, head work, headers, pulley, meth, etc and have a nice weekend car pushing some major hp for mid 50's.

Of of course you could do the same thing to a lower mileage z06 and come out 10k or so cheaper.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Inferno Orange ZR1 in Phoenix at Carmax, 50k miles, what will it bring??

Old 03-31-2017, 05:12 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDoten
https://www.carmax.com/cars/chevrole.../2011/13579017

Anyone see this? out near Luke AFB

it's the right color with big miles for a ZR1.

IIRC there are less than 60 total IO's made?

I'd buy it for 47

at any rate, great color, rare find.
I am looking for a black ZR1, with less miles.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:01 PM
SP6L3IT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if anyone is interested still, but they have lowered the price to under 50k. I love the color, but I'll just stay with mine.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Soodthedood
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SP6L3IT
Not sure if anyone is interested still, but they have lowered the price to under 50k. I love the color, but I'll just stay with mine.
where ? Do u have link?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 2011 Inferno Orange ZR1 in Phoenix at Carmax, 50k miles, what will it bring??