Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Starting Issue with 09 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:55 PM
T-bone21
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issue with 09 ZR1

Hello all,
I am having an issue with my vette and just wanted to reach out to you guys before I send to the dealer. Occasionally whenever I get in and attempt to star my car it will not turn over. So let me state a couple of weird things its doing... Behind the flat screen it has a buzzing sound occassionally when th FOB is present. Also the keyless remote when I hit the button only intiates the horn honk 20% of the time. Now the actual problem that has me wondering is when I get in close the door push the clutch and attemp to start it will simply click and act like the starter doesnt want to turn over. It has happened 4 times in the two months, but would (after about 30 mins of trying) Finally would turn over and start and then will start normally after that. I am worried it is possible electrical issue, but am hoping it is just a starter or solenoid..... Anybody have any input, and your advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:28 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I doubt it has anything to do with your starter or solenoid.

I have had this a couple of times as mine spends a lot of time on a charger. (1) It could be the battery in your fob needs replacing.

(2) Also, I assume you are aware there is a slot in your glove box where you can insert your fob when this happens and it will help your car recognize it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ufaj26; 01-03-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:46 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

What year? How old it the battery? Have you had the battery tested?

BTW, pulling the battery is a PIA...

Nick
Old 01-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

my original fob batteries lasted about 4.5 yrs; the original car battery lasted 5.5 yrs...

as both of the above members have suggested, it could be time to replace all...
Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Just a quick test, leave window open, disconnect negative battery cable and touch the positive cable with it, this will drain memory and capacitors. You will have to reset radio and windows then try it again. It did fix a few of my electrical gizmos but still had to replace the battery at the end. Modern cars are rolling computers and a reset is sometimes an easy fix. Good luck
Old 01-05-2017, 10:10 PM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I had this happen several times in the last 2 years I've had the car. I just re recycle the clutch and it starts right up. You might want to rotate (swap) your relays around in the power panel under the hood and passenger floor. The have a tendency to degrade over time especially the high usage ones. I normally rotate mine every 6 months.

As as for removing the battery, vice grips on each terminal saves a lot of knuckle meat.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Issue with 09 ZR1

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Starting Issue with 09 ZR1