Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 2013 Grand sport vs zr1 HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gdmiller123
yes im asking this on a zr1 sub forum because if you would have read my post instead of imidiatly going on a rant of how much better the zr1 was than a grand sport you would have realized I was looking for input of people that went from a grand sport to a zr1 and their thoughts on the switch Vs price difference in the two. Yes I realize a zr1 is a better car and yes I realize everyone is saying the zr1 will hold more value which is a no brainer but I'm not buying it for a Ln investment, I'm buying to enjoy and mod if I made the switch.
I owned a modded 2012 GS and purchased a 2013 ZR1 3 years ago. In every aspect the ZR1 is the best Corvette I have ever owned. I could go on and on but there is no reason to. Buy the ZR1.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:46 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Preciate the input! What was done to the gs?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Might be a excuse for a road trip then, thanks
Cargurus shows two ZR1s for sale in Raleigh NC area if you want to test drive one. Both are 2010s, one with 20k, one with 45k miles. Combined with me, that makes at least 3 ZR1s in this area. I think you're just 1.5 hours west of here.

I say put the stockers back on your grand sport and put those Forgelines on your new ZR1, but I am biased.

The LS9 as I'm sure you know is a lot more than just an LS3 with a blower. It's a stout piece of kit with tons of upgrades to handle the extra power reliably. I'm leaving my ZR1 stock for now and enjoying having a 638hp car with an extended warranty. No regerts.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

I'll have to check those out for sure. Yea I know the zr1 is built differentiy. Still weighing my options and trying to decide what to do. Really leaning towards keeping my gs but still def undecided.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:19 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

I'll have to do more research but from what I understand the zr1 has ghe same valve issues as the ls7. That scares me a little.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

Ironically there is one local at a dealership for sale im going to drive after work. Ill keep yall posted. Either it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread or wont impress me. Time will tell!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:00 PM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 114 Posts

As someone who has a ZR1, a 427 Vert and a Z06 I can tell you they each have their own reasons to have vs the other.

The ZR1 is just a blast to drive........the supercharger power and the low production numbers make the value sure to only go up.

The top off or lack of a top is also something that I won't let go either.

So I understand your dilemma as far as fixed roof vs. seeing the sky !

If you can afford the upgrade to the ZR1 I think you will be more than happy.

And down the road another GS or a Vert may be in your budget !
Old 01-18-2017, 03:00 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Ironically there is one local at a dealership for sale im going to drive after work. Ill keep yall posted. Either it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread or wont impress me. Time will tell!
Taking a test drive is really more valuable than any opinion you can find online.

Does your Grand Sport have PTM? The ZR1 power is considerably different in modes one through five. The lower modes reduce torque considerably to help with traction. Start off there, then gradually dial it up as you get familiar with the car. Edit: I Just spotted a yellow 09 for sale in your town. If this is the car you're looking at, 09 didn't have PTM. You have to use your foot to modulate the power with an 09. If this doesn't bother you, you should be able to get a pretty good deal on an 09. It may help to know for negotiations that I paid a little less than that for my 12 3ZR with 19.5k.

Take the car to redline in 2nd gear around town if traction allows, then do a 3rd gear pull on the highway and let us know if you aren't sold.

Also, shifter is short throw, close ratio and feels better than my 1st C6. Pay attention to how stiff the clutch feels. The ZR1 clutch gets heavier as it wears. Mine is still pretty light so I'm thinking it has plenty of life yet. Also, check for vibration around 70-80 mph. The wheels are tricky to balance on the ZR1 and sometimes the ceramic rotors need balanced too.

The only mod my ZR1 has is the mild to wild switch. With the valves closed and car on touring mode it is incredibly docile. If you up up the valves and switch to sport suspension, the car takes on a new personality. Very Jekyl and hyde. Miles per gallon is very poor, but smiles per gallon are too many to count.

Last edited by CloudLS9; 01-18-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yes im asking this on a zr1 sub forum because if you would have read my post instead of imidiatly going on a rant of how much better the zr1 was than a grand sport you would have realized I was looking for input of people that went from a grand sport to a zr1 and their thoughts on the switch Vs price difference in the two. Yes I realize a zr1 is a better car and yes I realize everyone is saying the zr1 will hold more value which is a no brainer but I'm not buying it for a Ln investment, I'm buying to enjoy and mod if I made the switch.
If you really mean this then why don't you buy a modded ZR1. There are a few on this forum. Every modded ZR1 hasn't been beat on
You can save money and have a ZR1......jmo
Old 01-18-2017, 03:33 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

Originally Posted by RidgeRunner0207
As someone who has a ZR1, a 427 Vert and a Z06 I can tell you they each have their own reasons to have vs the other.

The ZR1 is just a blast to drive........the supercharger power and the low production numbers make the value sure to only go up.

The top off or lack of a top is also something that I won't let go either.

So I understand your dilemma as far as fixed roof vs. seeing the sky !

If you can afford the upgrade to the ZR1 I think you will be more than happy.

And down the road another GS or a Vert may be in your budget !
Yeah that's def my struggle for sure!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:38 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

Originally Posted by Ion
Taking a test drive is really more valuable than any opinion you can find online.

Does your Grand Sport have PTM? The ZR1 power is considerably different in modes one through five. The lower modes reduce torque considerably to help with traction. Start off there, then gradually dial it up as you get familiar with the car. Edit: I Just spotted a yellow 09 for sale in your town. If this is the car you're looking at, 09 didn't have PTM. You have to use your foot to modulate the power with an 09. If this doesn't bother you, you should be able to get a pretty good deal on an 09. It may help to know for negotiations that I paid a little less than that for my 13 3ZR with 19.5k.

Take the car to redline in 2nd gear around town if traction allows, then do a 3rd gear pull on the highway and let us know if you aren't sold.

Also, shifter is short throw, close ratio and feels better than my 1st C6. Pay attention to how stiff the clutch feels. The ZR1 clutch gets heavier as it wears. Mine is still pretty light so I'm thinking it has plenty of life yet. Also, check for vibration around 70-80 mph. The wheels are tricky to balance on the ZR1 and sometimes the ceramic rotors need balanced too.

The only mod my ZR1 has is the mild to wild switch. With the valves closed and car on touring mode it is incredibly docile. If you up up the valves and switch to sport suspension, the car takes on a new personality. Very Jekyl and hyde. Miles per gallon is very poor, but smiles per gallon are too many to count.
Yes the yellow one is the one im going to look at. Im curious how it pulls VS my current car which dynoed 513. I know a stock zr1 typically dynos in the 530 range but im sure power delivery is different with the blower. Im hoping the shifter is nice. My 13 GS has the close ratio gear box as well but maybe its a hair different. My 13 GS does not have PTM, all by the foot. Im certainly not going to buy this car as my current car is yellow and rather not get back into yellow even though I do like it. If this car I was going to look at was JSB, there is no telling what may come of this situation this evening My current GS has the mild to wild so I know what you mean by the sound being completly different. He told me over the phone 59 for the car which i thought sounded somewhat cheap but maybe im wrong.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:40 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy Z
If you really mean this then why don't you buy a modded ZR1. There are a few on this forum. Every modded ZR1 hasn't been beat on
You can save money and have a ZR1......jmo
Yeah id maybe consider that. Would certainly save money in the long run buying one with the mods already. Im just a little gun shy buying a modded car i guess, just like about everyone is. Even though I know my car is modded and some would be shy of that, I can assure 100% that its flawless. Im sure there are zr1's like this as well.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:51 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Yes the yellow one is the one im going to look at. Im curious how it pulls VS my current car which dynoed 513. I know a stock zr1 typically dynos in the 530 range but im sure power delivery is different with the blower. Im hoping the shifter is nice. My 13 GS has the close ratio gear box as well but maybe its a hair different. My 13 GS does not have PTM, all by the foot. Im certainly not going to buy this car as my current car is yellow and rather not get back into yellow even though I do like it. If this car I was going to look at was JSB, there is no telling what may come of this situation this evening My current GS has the mild to wild so I know what you mean by the sound being completly different. He told me over the phone 59 for the car which i thought sounded somewhat cheap but maybe im wrong.
I just finished my hunt and picked up my ZR1 a few weeks ago so many of the same ones are for sale around me. Cosmo motors in Hickory NC has a JSB ZR1. I love that color too.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:53 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

Yeah I've seen that one but a little out of my budget. They usually ask a premium for their cars. What color did you end up getting? Private party sale?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:14 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Yeah I've seen that one but a little out of my budget. They usually ask a premium for their cars. What color did you end up getting? Private party sale?
Mine is blade silver.

I found it at Carmax but I tracked down the original owner through the ZR1 registry and got a hold of him on-line. He is a 77 year old guy who did museum delivery of the car. He sold it to Carmax this fall and they kept dropping the price until I transferred it. Nothing wrong with my car, but ZR1s have been sitting on lots due to pricing pressure from used C7 Z06s. It's a good time to negotiate on a ZR1 if you're in the market for one.

Here is my recent purchase thread. SPEEDEMON was very helpful and able to provide me with VIS report.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-this-zr1.html
Old 01-18-2017, 04:17 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

Dang thats sweet! Yeah I have noticed 16 c7z's falling fast. Actually saw a red one today with 16,200 miles on it for $59,900.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:23 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

I just skimmed the thread. You got a sweet deal on that car. I love the 12+ seats much better than the earlier ones.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Grand sport vs zr1 HELP!

Old 01-18-2017, 04:38 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

I just skimmed the thread. You got a sweet deal on that car. I love the 12+ seats much better than the earlier ones.
Thanks.. when you test drive the 09 ZR1 keep in mind it's a few years older than your GS. I had an 05 and 12 C6 and an 06 and 12 Boxster S. In both cases, same body style, but the later years had lots of subtle refinements and tweaks to improve things like shifter feel, steering feel, suspension, throttle response, radio, interior trim, sound deadening etc.

From an Engineering perspective, lots of little tweaks go in over a design's life cycle. The last version of a design is usually the best and most refined, but from a PR perspective, an old design is old news. The first of a new design generation is publicly the hottest, but still far from peak potential.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:40 PM
gdmiller123
Racer

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. My 13 GS is as mint as can be, and its going to take a perfect Zr1 to replace it if i do chose to do so.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Doesn't the 09 ZR1s also not have launch control/No lift shift?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 2013 Grand sport vs zr1 HELP!