Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Can I Afford a Zr1?

Old 02-14-2017, 12:43 PM
harmRSP
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll tell you what, the best financial decision I ever made was when I was 23. I bought a "rare" car that would end up appreciating, a 97 Toyota Supra and I ended up doubling my money. The ZR1 I put in the same ball park. If you can buy that car, drive it and enjoy it for a couple of years, then sell it for the same or more then what's the downside? You're young, have fun with your life, these are the best years of your life. I'd say do it.

Last edited by harmRSP; 02-14-2017 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nijat1 (02-16-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Nijat1
Before any of you drop the Hammer, i currently have a 2005 C6 6M, Im 21 still live with my Parents, but i paid for my Corvette and currently maintaining it without any problems, i Make about 4k a month Currently on average and was wondering if i have enough income to replace it with a Zr1?, what are your thoughts guys?
Both the bolded scream no to me.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:15 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I say buy it, then when it comes time you want a house, just sell the car. Sell your vette for $20k and find a zr1 for $50k payments on the left over would only be a little over $400 a month. Might as well enjoy life, you only live once
Old 02-14-2017, 07:14 PM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

If you want it and can afford it, buy it. Who knows what the future holds. You're young. Enjoy your youth
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM
HottubChampion
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cost of purchase:
Depending on what your credit score is and what you are looking for in a ZR1 is what will determine if its financially feasible. 2009-10 models are getting uncomfortably cheap considering what they cost new. I've seen many examples in the mid to low $50s with 30-50k miles on them. I've even seen a spattering of high mileage examples in the mid to low $40s. These are typically the more common colored cars. I myself bought my 2009 3ZR in Black w/28K miles 2 years ago for $55k. Once you get into 2011 and above and/or the more sought after colors is where the prices start jumping significantly from the 60s all the way into the 90s.

Cost of Ownership:
2 things to look at here is insurance cost for you and replacement parts specific to the ZR1. Since you are only 21 this may be what keeps you from owning one. Mind you it may be cheaper than insurance on a Camaro but make sure you look into this first. A complete brake job if needed will cost you about $6500 for CC rotors and pads. There is a company that sells a steel rotor conversion for $3500 which is what I would do if i ever had to replace my rotors. The magnetic shocks are about $1k a piece. The motor is specific to the ZR1 so if you blow something up and have to replace it, used blocks aren't east to come by and a replacement crate motor is close to $20k new. You could replace with with another block but unless its an LSX or something high dollar, you just diminished the value of the car.

Driving the car:
I've owned a wide array of vehicles from cheap to high end and I can honestly say the C6 corvette is probably the least comfortable and cheaply put together in regards to interior, which many Corvette owners will agree with. I traded in a 2010 ZL1 for the ZR1 and if it weren't for the fact that this isn't a daily driven vehicle I probably would not have made the transition. The cabin is hot from the exhaust and noisy, the seats are made for small Americans, and for corner carving you are limited on elbow room. One of the biggest issues with the performance is its issue with dissipating heat. Of all the owners i've talked with no matter how cold it is outside the car runs in the 180-190s for water temp. During summer months they struggle to stay under 200. If you are caught in traffic and use the AC, the temps with slowly continue to creep up. I've seen 218 before I turned the AC back off and was able to start moving to get the temps back down under 210. My car even has a 160 stat in it an operating temp has never seen that.

Other Options:
Owning a ZR1 is great if you want exclusivity, but unless this is your only goal in life i'd look at a modded 2008+ Z06 someone has already done all the work to. The C6 Z06 weighs 300lbs less than a ZR1 and you can make 600+ rwhp with the right H/C/I combo. Also there are an abundance or SC or Turbo examples out there can make tons a power and will be half the cost of a cheap ZR1 example.

Last edited by HottubChampion; 02-15-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:23 AM
dbhajek
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned many sports cars from Porsche to Supra and I think my C5Z, C6Z and now my C6 ZR1 to be one of the most comfortable. A friend and I drove my C6Z a couple of hundred miles to trade it in for a Porsche Turbo, we were way more comfortable in the Vette on the way over then in the Porsche on the way back. Its funny how everyone is different.

As for cost of ownership they are pretty cheap to maintain if you consider the performance you get out of them. Thats one of the reasons I came back to Corvettes.

Originally Posted by HottubChampion
Cost of purchase:
Depending on what your credit score is and what you are looking for in a ZR1 is what will determine if its financially feasible. 2009-10 models are getting uncomfortably cheap considering what they cost new. I've seen many examples in the mid to low $50s with 30-50k miles on them. I've even seen a spattering of high mileage examples in the mid to low $40s. These are typically the more common colored cars. I myself bought my 2009 3ZR in Black w/28K miles 2 years ago for $55k. Once you get into 2011 and above and/or the more sought after colors is where the prices start jumping significantly from the 60s all the way into the 90s.

Cost of Ownership:
2 things to look at here is insurance cost for you and replacement parts specific to the ZR1. Since you are only 21 this may be what keeps you from owning one. Mind you it may be cheaper than insurance on a Camaro but make sure you look into this first. A complete brake job if needed will cost you about $6500 for CC rotors and pads. There is a company that sells a steel rotor conversion for $3500 which is what I would do if i ever had to replace my rotors. The magnetic shocks are about $1k a piece. The motor is specific to the ZR1 so if you blow something up and have to replace it, used blocks aren't east to come by and a replacement crate motor is close to $20k new. You could replace with with another block but unless its an LSX or something high dollar, you just diminished the value of the car.

Driving the car:
I've owned a wide array of vehicles from cheap to high end and I can honestly say the C6 corvette is probably the least comfortable and cheaply put together in regards to interior, which many Corvette owners will agree with. I traded in a 2010 ZL1 for the ZR1 and if it weren't for the fact that this isn't a daily driven vehicle I probably would not have made the transition. The cabin is hot from the exhaust and noisy, the seats are made for small Americans, and for corner carving you are limited on elbow room. One of the biggest issues with the performance is its issue with dissipating heat. Of all the owners i've talked with no matter how cold it is outside the car runs in the 180-190s for water temp. During summer months they struggle to stay under 200. If you are caught in traffic and use the AC, the temps with slowly continue to creep up. I've seen 218 before I turned the AC back off and was able to start moving to get the temps back down under 210. My car even has a 160 stat in it an operating temp has never seen that.

Other Options:
Owning a ZR1 is great if you want exclusivity, but unless this is your only goal in life i'd look at a modded 2008+ Z06 someone has already done all the work to. The C6 Z06 weighs 300lbs less than a ZR1 and you can make 600+ rwhp with the right H/C/I combo. Also there are an abundance or SC or Turbo examples out there can make tons a power and will be half the cost of a cheap ZR1 example.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:45 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,430 Likes on 2,268 Posts

If you're making 4k a month you need to move out and stand on your own (and not buy the ZR).

Unless, of course your deal with the folks is that you're free to live at home in order to bank the bucks you're making (which can work out great), but if that is the arrangement, then buying the ZR is inconsistent with that purpose.

So, I'd vote "No."
Old 02-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by darth g-f
If I had a 21yo kid and he would bring home a ZR1 while still living under my roof, I'd send him on a nice drive... to find his own place.

Get your own place. Put money aside and if there is enough left, then you can buy extra luxury like a car whose 1st gear gets you to the speed limit and 3rd in jail.

With that said, it's your money.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:58 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Buy the car, you only live once. It won't depreciate as fast as most think.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Yeah, A C-4 ZR-1.....
Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 AM
HottubChampion
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbhajek
I have owned many sports cars from Porsche to Supra and I think my C5Z, C6Z and now my C6 ZR1 to be one of the most comfortable. A friend and I drove my C6Z a couple of hundred miles to trade it in for a Porsche Turbo, we were way more comfortable in the Vette on the way over then in the Porsche on the way back. Its funny how everyone is different.

As for cost of ownership they are pretty cheap to maintain if you consider the performance you get out of them. Thats one of the reasons I came back to Corvettes.
Comfort level is always a personal preference, I agree. I can't say i've ever been in a Porsche that I would say had a worse interior than the Vette (unless you're in something from the 90s or earlier. Ride quality is subjective but a Porsche is also a much more refined car which you can't really compare to this since they are in a completely different price bracket. As for the replacement parts the costs were based on the components specific to a ZR1 considering his income. Since he is currently in a base C6, being financially sound with his purchase and performance per dollar he is better off finding an already modded C6Z. I agree the maintenance isn't any different but the price point from a C6Z to a ZR1 doesn't make sense in the performance per dollar considering you have to pay $15k+ over a C6Z to get into even the cheapest lower mileage ZR1. If a rotor or shock needs to be replaced it would be a shame he would have to sideline the car just to save up enough enough money to replace just that part.

Last edited by HottubChampion; 02-16-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM
dbhajek
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think comfort level and interior quality are two different things with me. I do think the 911 is a better car for squirting around town but for a long drive the Vette is way more comfortable. Im not the only porsche owner I've heard talk about this.

I am sorry I did get off the subject when I read about the comfort level compared to other cars. I really don't have a opinion on if he can afford a ZR1 or not.

Originally Posted by HottubChampion
Comfort level is always a personal preference, I agree. I can't say i've ever been in a Porsche that I would say had a worse interior than the Vette (unless you're in something from the 90s or earlier. Ride quality is subjective but a Porsche is also a much more refined car which you can't really compare to this since they are in a completely different price bracket. As for the replacement parts the costs were based on the components specific to a ZR1 considering his income. Since he is currently in a base C6, being financially sound with his purchase and performance per dollar he is better off finding an already modded C6Z. I agree the maintenance isn't any different but the price point from a C6Z to a ZR1 doesn't make sense in the performance per dollar considering you have to pay $15k+ over a C6Z to get into even the cheapest lower mileage ZR1. If a rotor or shock needs to be replaced it would be a shame he would have to sideline the car just to save up enough enough money to replace just that part.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:20 AM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harmRSP
I'll tell you what, the best financial decision I ever made was when I was 23. I bought a "rare" car that would end up appreciating, a 97 Toyota Supra and I ended up doubling my money. The ZR1 I put in the same ball park. If you can buy that car, drive it and enjoy it for a couple of years, then sell it for the same or more then what's the downside? You're young, have fun with your life, these are the best years of your life. I'd say do it.
I bought a 300zx twin turbo when I was in college at 21 and commuting from home. With few bills, I had plenty of dough to blow on the car from my part time job. At that time, I had contemplated a TT Supra for 18k, but I liked the way the Z looked better. The Supra would have been an even better investment but hindsight is 20/20. I was at least able to drive the Z for 7 years then sell it for the same 15k. After that, I bought and paid off an S2000 that would turn out to hold it's value just as well. That ended up being the down payment on a house that has appreciated to have 150k equity in just 5 years as per last appraisal. So while it's easy to trace the dots back to good car purchases.. it's fairly hard to plan it the other way around as plenty of cars fall through the floor in depreciation. Desirable and unique cars tend to be safer bets, but there are far safer investments than cars both financially and physically. Adjusted for inflation, I still think the ZR1 is a much bigger purchase for a young kid than either our cars were. Even without taking on a large note for a ZR1, OP would be doing well to pay off the C6 he already has before he moves out. It's nice to start out on your own without car payments at least.

The downside to a ZR1 is: remember how you drove your Supra at 23? I remember racing my friends with Supras in my Z at 21.. now imagine if you had a ZR1 at that age.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 PM
StickyV35
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, recently being in your position I can say it is far more effective to save your money and start a business/invest. At that point, especially given our age, the compound time is huge for investments and the knowledge of business operations will give you a definite edge going forward.

At that point, you can have a ZR1 and another vehicle depending how you fare/invest.

I hesitate to assume, but given that you included your living situation gives me an idea that you many not have the burden of full housing/rent payments and associated bills. Once that comes into the picture things will shift immensely, budget wise. Granted any decision is yours alone to make, but based off my life and going through a similar situation, setting yourself up for a rock solid future is a better risk IMO. Others may disagree but that is their right.

I hope this provided an alternative perspective. At least you'll have a vette whichever way you go!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:06 PM
harmRSP
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
I bought a 300zx twin turbo when I was in college at 21 and commuting from home. With few bills, I had plenty of dough to blow on the car from my part time job. At that time, I had contemplated a TT Supra for 18k, but I liked the way the Z looked better. The Supra would have been an even better investment but hindsight is 20/20. I was at least able to drive the Z for 7 years then sell it for the same 15k. After that, I bought and paid off an S2000 that would turn out to hold it's value just as well. That ended up being the down payment on a house that has appreciated to have 150k equity in just 5 years as per last appraisal. So while it's easy to trace the dots back to good car purchases.. it's fairly hard to plan it the other way around as plenty of cars fall through the floor in depreciation. Desirable and unique cars tend to be safer bets, but there are far safer investments than cars both financially and physically. Adjusted for inflation, I still think the ZR1 is a much bigger purchase for a young kid than either our cars were. Even without taking on a large note for a ZR1, OP would be doing well to pay off the C6 he already has before he moves out. It's nice to start out on your own without car payments at least.

The downside to a ZR1 is: remember how you drove your Supra at 23? I remember racing my friends with Supras in my Z at 21.. now imagine if you had a ZR1 at that age.
I agree that you never know how the market will go, but the ZR1 market has already dictated that these cars will not lose much if any value in the short term. I'd even go as far to say they are going to become a cult classic type car.

As far as driving a ZR1 at a young age, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. A gun in the wrong persons hands is dangerous, as is a car, but I believe in the 2nd amendment and I believe that younger people can be responsible for their own actions in a motor vehicle. =)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:25 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Wow!!! Lots of opinions here, so I will give mine too. I am 62 yrs old, have owned a lot of cars over the years (10 Corvettes + other cars and trucks). Looking back, I wish I had the money that I had spent on those cars and did other things with it, like buying a house at 21 instead of a fancy car. Now, at my age, I am still making a house payment and it sucks. I would do it a lot different than I did.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:46 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

You could but you still haven't explained why you would want to still be at home with your parents at that age? Wouldn't it be cooler to have a C6 and your own pad rather than a ZR1 and mommy and daddy. I know what I would choose.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I Afford a Zr1?

Old 02-16-2017, 11:56 PM
Orng3ktt
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first house at 23yrs old, I'm 29 yrs old right now and I'm looking for a ZR-1. If I was you, i'd say get a house first then go for the car. Atleast thats what I did..... But if I was making that much at 21 and was with my parents, and single, I would of probably went with the car first.... Good luck with your decision .
Old 02-17-2017, 11:11 AM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UmCanesZ06
If you want it and can afford it, buy it...
This second part is key... it reminds me of that old SNL skit - "Don't buy stuff you can't afford, a guide to prevent financial debt"

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...y-stuff/n12020
Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 AM
22WithAVette
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'm 22 and I just purchased my new C7 not too long ago, but keep in mind I own multiple homes as well as a business so cash flow isn't really too much of an issue for me. I wouldn't really recommend making a purchase that large until you have your own place and have taken responsibility over your life in that aspect, unless of course your parents want you there living with them haha. Also keep in mind you're 21, maybe you'll want to get married in a few years, maybe you're going to need money for school, this that and the other, weigh out all of these possibilities first and then make a well educated decision. Just keep in mind, I chose a normal C7 over a new Z06, simply because for me the Z06 is unnecessary at this point in my life. If you already have a C6, I'd say just stick with that, it's not a slow car by any means haha, enjoy it and save your money!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Can I Afford a Zr1?