Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Can I Afford a Zr1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Nijat1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the support guys, im not getting a home any time soon unless i get married any time soon, but thats not happening for a while, my parents pay for rent and all other things and they have no problem with me living with them, that is until i have my own family of course. Im working hard to have a zr1 by this summer.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:54 PM
DavidJ1_99
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course you can "afford" it. The bigger question is, at what cost?

I own a ZR1 and it is an intoxicating drive. However, when I was 21, there was something that was of far more interest to me. Female companionship.

But, just like water and oil, 21 year old man + female, to me, does not = living at home with mom and dad. If I already had a sweet ride........I would want a place to take my woman.

If you are with a woman that fully respects you for living at home with your parents, you might as well drive a Pinto. In my humble opinion. It is not like you are trading in a Yugo and want the car to cruise and pick up chicks. You have nice things.

Congrats on being 21 and making $40K and living at home. But it is also ok to have a better plan in life, as others were saying.

Last edited by DavidJ1_99; 02-20-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavidJ1_99

I own a ZR1 and it is an intoxicating drive. However, when I was 21, there was something that was of far more interest to me. Female companionship.

But, just like water and oil, 21 year old man + female, to me, does not = living at home with mom and dad. If I already had a sweet ride........I would want a place to take my woman.

If you are with a woman that fully respects you for living at home with your parents, you might as well drive a Pinto. In my humble opinion. It is not like you are trading in a Yugo and want the car to cruise and pick up chicks. You have nice things.

Congrats on being 21 and making $40K and living at home. But it is also ok to have a better plan in life, as others were saying.
My corvette is my woman , but in seriousness I understand what you mean. I don't have a girlfriend yet, I'm still studying for my career right now. I can pick up chicks in my c6 no problem if that's all I wanted from a corvette.....but that's not why I bought it.

​​​​Now, I'm 21 and guilty of doing things that a 21 year old would do with a corvette(responsibly, haven't harmed me or the car), I seen a Hellcat Challenger get totalled in front of me, couple of days ago I lost a classmate who was doing 100 in a 35mph zone, taking a family with him, I know what high HP and irresponsibility can lead to. Which is why I'm careful when driving, but I love the thrill of driving a fast fun car.

​​​​​
If you still don't understand what I mean, id recommend watching an old Anime( I know, just bare with me ) by the Name of Wangan Midnight, the main character has a twin turbo Datsun 240Z and represent how I feel towards the Zr1.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:32 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidJ1_99

Old 02-22-2017, 10:02 AM
CasperZR
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Read through a few comments and to be frank, I'm not surprised from what I've read. However, respect to you for bringing an interesting topic to the table that would certainly yield some form of criticism.

Look, I'm 28, and extremely fortunate in many ways, including the thrill of looking at a ZR1 in the garage each morning. I don't bring much to the table here, but just do what makes you happy, bud. As cliche as that sounds, I've been surrounded by lots of folks in my short life that are certainly qualified as being "successful." With that said, I'd guesstimate 90% of them aren't happy.

Regret is an "expense" you cannot recover 50 years from now. If there's a will, there's a way. Determining whether you can afford a materialistic item is subjective. Does it provide "value" to you? Whether that be financially or subconsciously is for you to answer. Give yourself something to smile about when you're in your 80's. Don't be afraid of change from a financial standpoint. Looks like you've got a supportive family and I'm sure some friends, as well. Best of luck in your decision! Hope it all works out for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by CasperZR:
Nijat1 (02-25-2017), NytmereZ (03-01-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:40 AM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by CasperZR
Read through a few comments and to be frank, I'm not surprised from what I've read. However, respect to you for bringing an interesting topic to the table that would certainly yield some form of criticism.

Look, I'm 28, and extremely fortunate in many ways, including the thrill of looking at a ZR1 in the garage each morning. I don't bring much to the table here, but just do what makes you happy, bud. As cliche as that sounds, I've been surrounded by lots of folks in my short life that are certainly qualified as being "successful." With that said, I'd guesstimate 90% of them aren't happy.

Regret is an "expense" you cannot recover 50 years from now. If there's a will, there's a way. Determining whether you can afford a materialistic item is subjective. Does it provide "value" to you? Whether that be financially or subconsciously is for you to answer. Give yourself something to smile about when you're in your 80's. Don't be afraid of change from a financial standpoint. Looks like you've got a supportive family and I'm sure some friends, as well. Best of luck in your decision! Hope it all works out for you.
It seems that alot of the folks are older with life experiences, their situations being obviously different than mine, as well as interests, ill agree about living life you wont regret, hence why im striving to get a Zr1, definitely will tell stories about it when i get older, i already have alot with my c6.

Sucks that the successful individuals around you arent happy, i wouldn't want to feel like that ever. Id love to see your Zr1 too sometime.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:06 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd be keeping the current C6 and investing that extra $500-$1000 dollars a month into a ROTH or retirement fund. Especially if you are only 21 years old. By the time you retire you'll have a nice nest egg. But if you are a wealthy 21 year old living at home, then I'd go for it and buy the ZR1.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,117 Likes on 609 Posts

He isnt thinking long time, just like most 21 year olds..... hell sometimes i wish i would have been smarter with my money.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:25 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Travlee
He isnt thinking long time, just like most 21 year olds..... hell sometimes i wish i would have been smarter with my money.
You're right, its hard for me to see what to expect in the future, my grandpa lived during the soviet union, he worked as a Craftsman, while the average person in the soviet union made 80 rubles, he was also supposedly making 80 rubles, however he was making 2000 (unofficially), he ended up saving over 140,000 rubles over a period of 40 years, untill 1991 when the soviet union collapsed, when he came to the bank all they would give him was either 5000 rubles or nothing. So all he was left with was his Lada 2107 and his Apartment. I know that this is the US, not Russia, but my point is that my grandpa thought ahead and saved and the system screwed him over, and he ended up loosing almost all of the money he made, and all he got back at the time was the equivalent of surviving a week, that was being smart with money, hopefully nobody experiences what my grandpa did. Social Security isnt expected to survive by the time i retire, i follow the news, i read books, if i was foolish i would have gone right away to the dealership and bought it with the payments, hence why i came to you guys. I might not agree with what alot of you say, but it doesnt mean i dont take your advise seriously. I thank you for giving me your opinions, it helps me determine what im dealing with.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:04 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Sounds like you've thought it through very well and are more mature than the average guy your age too. I agree with your statement above 100%.

Get the ZR1 and be sure to some post pictures! Even at 66 I can't keep the smile off my face when just looking at mine much less driving it!
The following users liked this post:
Nijat1 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Sounds like you've thought it through very well and are more mature than the average guy your age too. I agree with your statement above 100%.

Get the ZR1 and be sure to some post pictures! Even at 66 I can't keep the smile off my face when just looking at mine much less driving it!
Thanks BearZ06
Old 02-25-2017, 02:45 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I agree, seems you're very mature and thoughtful at your age. You already have a healthy respect for what can happen with a high performance car, so just be careful and have fun. Good luck to you & hope to see pictures if you do get one.
Nijat1 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Seems like a lot of bad advice in this thread. Taking on payments when you live at home is not smart, because eventually you won't be living at home and you'll be taking on even more payments.

Look, do whatever makes you happy. I bought mine at 23, and I'm 26 now. The difference being that I have been living alone for 4 years and I have no car payment. You're going to get in over your head.

That's JMHO though, so
Old 02-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crabbers
Seems like a lot of bad advice in this thread. Taking on payments when you live at home is not smart, because eventually you won't be living at home and you'll be taking on even more payments.

Look, do whatever makes you happy. I bought mine at 23, and I'm 26 now. The difference being that I have been living alone for 4 years and I have no car payment. You're going to get in over your head.

That's JMHO though, so
I think about saving up and buying it for cash too, I know you can get a better deal as well, I'm just worried that the price will go up in 2-3 years making it harder to buy, the prices for these special edition vettes go up after a while especially since only 5k was produced, look at the Ford gt, it was 130-150k now it's fetching 400k. The Acura Nsx was being sold for 35k until recently now they ask for 50k on average.

Last edited by Nijat1; 02-25-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Z06streetracer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for it
Nijat1 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nijat1
I think about saving up and buying it for cash too, I know you can get a better deal as well, I'm just worried that the price will go up in 2-3 years making it harder to buy, the prices for these special edition vettes go up after a while especially since only 5k was produced, look at the Ford gt, it was 130-150k now it's fetching 400k. The Acura Nsx was being sold for 35k until recently now they ask for 50k on average.
They aren't going to appreciate. Using the Ford GT as an example is silly. It's a unicorn car. GTs don't share any architecture with other Ford vehicles, ZR1s do. At the end of the day it's just a Corvette and they make a ton of those. This is just my opinion, but people saying it's going to appreciate are just trying to make their cars look more important than they are.

YMMV.

Either way, best of luck

Last edited by Crabbers; 02-25-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Nijat1 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 AM
msupc
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You absolutely can not afford one. Period. There is a lot of bad advice getting tossed around in this thread that caters to the "you only live once" mentality. You already have a Corvette! Focus on getting out of mom and dad's house, building wealth, and becoming financially peaceful.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I Afford a Zr1?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,117 Likes on 609 Posts

Guess i am just old and over think things, i would be like "how long can i pay bills if i get laid off". Jobs arent guaranteed
Old 02-28-2017, 11:21 AM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

can always sell the zr1 when it comes time to get a house....
Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Nijat1
Instructor

Originally Posted by msupc
You absolutely can not afford one. Period. There is a lot of bad advice getting tossed around in this thread that caters to the "you only live once" mentality. You already have a Corvette! Focus on getting out of mom and dad's house, building wealth, and becoming financially peaceful.
Maybe your right....

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Can I Afford a Zr1?