Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Proper way to jack-up/lift the front of the car

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:33 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Proper way to jack-up/lift the front of the car

I'm considering taking on the task of pulling my blower to have it ported as well as installing a new expansion tank and HX. The front bumper will need to come off and the car will sit for at least a week therefor, it will need to be lifted and set on jack stands at least in the front.

I know the Vettes have specific jacking points on the frame. What I'm curious to know is what is the proper way to jack each side and sit the car on jack stands for the duration of this project? I'm looking at picking up a set of jacking pucks to keep the metal stands off of the frame although I've seen shops just use 2x4 between the frame and the jacks (that seems like a lot of weight to be sitting on wood IMO).

My other concern is the car is lowered slightly on stock bolts. I"m not 100% sure if my low profile jack will clear the front bumper but if it does I'm assuming I'd jack the front of the car on the frame to set it on the stands. Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2017, 02:30 PM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I had to have the cats replaced when #4 exhaust valve spring decided to break. When it goes to "low power mode" it floods the motor to the point that it is very hard to keep it running and thus ruins the cats. My two inside chrome exhausts still get black from flushing all of the excess fuel carbon out. Anyway the local dealer used 4 used brake discs about 3" high. They jacked the car and set the tires on them so they could get the floor lift under the car and lifted it, using the correct jacking pucks. I have a wash gravel driveway and I use a NAPA low profile jack with the puck to do under car stuff.

Ed
Old 02-21-2017, 03:22 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 151 Posts

If you are using the factory service manual method to pull the blower cover you need to drop the front cradle down enough to get at the rear blower bolts. This will cause you to have to find a place on the frame for jack stands and it's better to have the car level so the stands don't slide on the frame. If you don't mind drilling a couple of holes underneath the weather strip at the base of the windshield (weatherstrip hides the holes after) you can get the rear blower cover bolts out without dropping the cradle and therefore have your jack stands on the cradle front and back. Getting the car in the air to begin with can be a hassle with one floor jack but if that's all you have I would use the jack to get the front left (or right) off the ground using a hockey puck in the lift location on the frame enough to get a piece of wood or short stand under it at the cradle then do the other side. Then go to the back. I use a 1-1/2 foot piece of 2x4 to spread the load on the section of cradle between the two lower control arms. Put the jack in the center and lift the from there. Some guy's say it isn't necessary but I've seen this area crack. Just once but that's all it took for me to use the wood. Once the back is up to equal the front I go back and forth front to back in the center of the cradle using the wood lifting a couple inches at a time until it's high enough for what I'm doing. Make sure you put your stands on the cradle at the most stoutest (is that a word?) part. This is right where the lower control arms contact the cradle at the front of the front cradle and the rear of the rear cradle. There are several places on the web to find these locations and there are a few posts on this forum showing where to drill the holes at the base of the windshield if this is what you want to do.

Last edited by GMJim; 02-21-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, didn't realize it was quite that much work to get the blower off of the car. Although I don't mind getting my hands dirty, it may make more sense to have my buddy do it at his shop since he has all of the tools plus the lift and the space.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:06 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by GMJim
There are several places on the web to find these locations and there are a few posts on this forum showing where to drill the holes at the base of the windshield if this is what you want to do.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lt-access.html
The following users liked this post:
ralphsmithiii (02-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Proper way to jack-up/lift the front of the car

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Proper way to jack-up/lift the front of the car