Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Turns Out Nissan GTR Nurburgring Time of 2:08 Was BS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Turns Out Nissan GTR Nurburgring Time of 2:08 Was BS

Over 100K in custom bits on a Nismo GTR to get that time. Did GM even dial in the alignment on the ZR1 ?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:17 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I didn't watch this video but I'm pretty familiar with the NISMO car and always felt it wasn't a fair comparison to the 7:18 the ZR1 ran with additional weight (test equipment) and Jim Mero driving. If I recall, the 7:08 was the prototype car and not even available for sale for something like another 2 years. It was also super low production and was supposed to sticker in the upper $100's, which means $200k+ IF you could find one. I think they also hired a pro F1 driver as well.

Now I still give a lot of credit to Nissan for making the GTR and stepping up their game with the NISMO edition, but that car shouldn't be considered for the "production" record in my opinion. I did think it was cool that the Nissan engineers were expecting something like 7:11-12 and were blown away that it did anything under 7:10, let alone 7:08. That shows how brutal even a few seconds can be to shave off previous records and why I still shake my head at anyone who thinks the C7Z06 can turn a 6:59. Media sanctions have been lifted and GM is shouting the new ZL1 times but still crickets on the Z06. My prediction still holds at 7:12-7:15 because it has better tires and aero compared to a ZR1 on 1st gen Cups. Still great for Team Corvette, but not 7:08 or better as much as I'd love to see a Corvette back on top of real production cars that are obtainable.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Turns Out Nissan GTR Nurburgring Time of 2:08 Was BS