Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

Smart buy/Smart Lease?? Residuals??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:47 PM
D_Nyholm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart buy/Smart Lease?? Residuals??

Hello,

I'm considering SmartBuying a C6 coupe sometime in the future, but was looking at the rates from GM and they look HORRIBLE!! For a 36 month smart buy it is 9.41%!! Does anyone know when rates come out or a way to get a better rate (or residual) on the C6??? I'm putting a decent amount down (so I probably won't be leasing) and would want payments around $500, but the way it is structured, i'll be paying about $550 with the current rate/residual. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Dennis

PS, I realize that you shouldn't put money down on a lease, but I believe that a smart buy is different? If anyone knows for sure if I could get into trouble with putting money down on a smart buy, let me know!!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:53 PM
SunsetVette
Instructor

i look at a 06. the msrp was 51 something. I was getting gms on it also so the price was about 44,000. The guy ran me a lease for 39 months on it with nothing down. 792 a month. the rates right now are double hes said one the interest rate on the lease is at 8.5, he told me they were half that awhile ago, also the residual is at 55% which also sucks.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:47 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Thats a rough interest rate for sure, the 39 month residual of 55% is not all that bad. They are showing a 36 month residual of 45% on a new Z06 and that was 4 mos ago. Now that is ugly.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:59 PM
lytmup
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a SmartBuy on my 2000 Camaro SS and it was the worst mistake that I ever made.

I see no difference between a SmartBuy or a lease.

There are still mileage constraints (unless of course you intend on buying the car once the Smartbuy is over). If you are over mileage when you turn it back in after 3 years (even if you get another GM car), the per mile charge is crazy.

If you decide not to keep the car and give it back at the end of the Smartbuy program, be prepared to put new tires on it. The tire allowance that they give you at the end is pretty pathetic, so just plan on new tires.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:16 PM
C5 then C6
Instructor

If you plan on keeping the car, then putting money down is not a bad thing. Also, if you want a lower payment it's not a bad thing. I put money down on my 05 and the monthly payment is $479.

If you are interested in taking over my lease send me a PM. I need to get some money out of it, so a "down payment" or higher monthly would be likely. If you are interested I will pursue validating I can transfer the lease. I don't know too much about it, but my friend just did it and he is very happy with a new car (to him). I have about 46 months left on the lease, but the car only has 2,600 miles on it. That means you can put about 15,500 miles per year...

Why get rid of it? Tired of paying for something I never drive. Although I completely forget about the payment each time I sit in it!

Black 1SA A4 3.15, no performance mods, chrome plated OEM wheels and tinted windows. Flawless, garage kept.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:18 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1.9% in CA

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Hello,

I'm considering SmartBuying a C6 coupe sometime in the future, but was looking at the rates from GM and they look HORRIBLE!! For a 36 month smart buy it is 9.41%!! Does anyone know when rates come out or a way to get a better rate (or residual) on the C6??? I'm putting a decent amount down (so I probably won't be leasing) and would want payments around $500, but the way it is structured, i'll be paying about $550 with the current rate/residual. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Dennis

PS, I realize that you shouldn't put money down on a lease, but I believe that a smart buy is different? If anyone knows for sure if I could get into trouble with putting money down on a smart buy, let me know!!
I know of 2 dealerships around Sacramento that are offering 1.9% financing to qualified buyers (John L Sullivan and Daugherty Chevrolet). They must be really trying to move units....I've never seen financing for new 'Vettes that low . . .
Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeFiveOhFun
I know of 2 dealerships around Sacramento that are offering 1.9% financing to qualified buyers (John L Sullivan and Daugherty Chevrolet). They must be really trying to move units....I've never seen financing for new 'Vettes that low . . .
They are buying down the rate...

You could just as easily negotiate a lower price and finance through the bank / credit union of your choice.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:44 PM
mwar99
Racer

I think the Smartbuy is no different than a lease...it just has a balloon payment function to allow the car to be treated as a sale and have the title in the purchasers name in the states (like NY, at least it used to be) that would have the car titled in the lease company name and make them responsible if the driver where to get in an accident. In other words if you had a lease, got in an accident and it was your fault, the other driver could sue the lease company.

Buy, you willl be better off, you wouldn't see much of a difference in monthly payment anyway.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:53 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
They are buying down the rate...

You could just as easily negotiate a lower price and finance through the bank / credit union of your choice.
I know that the 1.9% isn't thru GMAC. However, the sales guy I spoke with 'claimed' that the 1.9% was in addition to $4k off the sticker. It sounds like folks are getting even better deals with GMID but this particular opportunity still sounds pretty good
Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 PM
jessejm
8th Gear

hello, c5thenc6, how much down would u want to keep that payment, im just playing with some numbers, im in texas also, thanks,

Last edited by jessejm; 04-20-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:57 PM
C5 then C6
Instructor

Originally Posted by jessejm
hello, c5thenc6, how much down would u want to keep that payment, im just playing with some numbers, im in texas also, thanks,
sent pm

Get notified of new replies

To Smart buy/Smart Lease?? Residuals??

Quick Reply: Smart buy/Smart Lease?? Residuals??