Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

Just checked the z06 values on kbb

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:51 PM
teghogh
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just checked the z06 values on kbb

I was just wondering why there is such a disparity between the kbb suggested value of 33k for 2007 2lz with 22k miles and the prices that are being asked here.
Im once again in the market to buy another z
Given the hell i went theough selling my mint condition 07 z 3 years ago i know how bad the market is for these cars
If kbb excellent suggest 35k , one is lucky to get the fair condition value of 33k for it.
And yet the owners dont budge below 38k
Im not trying to lowball anyone. But will not over pay either. If you see one in california let me knwow got cash in hand ready to go
949 412 1521

Popular Reply

01-26-2016, 08:20 AM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 114 Posts

Its is a very simple thing to me pricing a car.

1) How bad does the seller want or need to sell
2) How bad does the buyer want that car for sale
3) What is the current market

Current market is two things, reality, which is all that matters and fantasy which is where 90% of CF owners place the value of their C6 or whatever they are selling.

Just because you only looked at it, started it once a week and never drove it and kept it on a battery minder and under a cover does not mean it's worth what you think it is.

You can figure that most of these vehicles will never sell at the asking prices on here, and when they do the price gets dropped and dropped and dropped until it sells.

General rule of thumb, is they will sell for 60% of their retail "NEW" Value at 3 years old, then drop 5% every year after that minimum regardless of mileage.

So a brand new Z06 in 2010 that probably stickered at $82K using 30% in the first three and 5% every year after that should list/sell for around $45K give or take a little on mileage and if the heads are done.

These are non-cash bearing depreciating assets as my accountant calls them, they are not rare like L88/427's or '63 SWC's are.

They are mass produced, the older they get the lower their value goes, so drive them, if you want to just look at them get a picture of one and hang it in your garage.

Every day you don't drive one is one less day you get to drive one !

Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Disclaimer: KBB is worthless. Now that's out of the way...

I think here you get more of the crowd that looks at their car as special and perhaps worth a little more? Maybe they're right. A CF regular is prolly more likely to take care of their Corvette... If you notice, half the C6s for sale here are Z06s. Not that I have anything against them other than I like targa tops, but there must be something about the C6 Z05 that makes them harder to live with.

I think a counterpoint to this is value thing is regular C6s seem to be valued a tad less on KBB than you might pay in real life. Seen this with Porsche 996 era turbos as well. Haven't looked at the numbers in ages, but someone else on here recently mentioned seeing this phenomena.

Once in awhile I'll look in the C7 for sale section where someone might ask almost what they paid new (or should have paid if they're smart). Maybe their wives are telling em to sell it. Perhaps they list it so they look like they're trying, but really pricing high enough that it doesn't move.

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 01-26-2016 at 01:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
4drturbo (03-31-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 AM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree that KBB is worthless...you will not get close to that for it from a dealer.

I would say theres a lot of for sale threads based on sentimental value and sort of a "make me sell" price. Its a 3-10yr old car and most are out of factory warranty. They may be last generation's vette but they still cost new generation money to mod and repair. An LS7 is one gamble just not worth it to some .

There are a lot of tire kickers online...if you want to take forever to sell it and deal with 50 test drives, enjoy. But if someone trades it in to the dealer, they will serve up a reality check cold.

Also, many cars list the for sale price but not the sold for price....or they never sell.

Last edited by SgtRod; 01-26-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:20 AM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Its is a very simple thing to me pricing a car.

1) How bad does the seller want or need to sell
2) How bad does the buyer want that car for sale
3) What is the current market

Current market is two things, reality, which is all that matters and fantasy which is where 90% of CF owners place the value of their C6 or whatever they are selling.

Just because you only looked at it, started it once a week and never drove it and kept it on a battery minder and under a cover does not mean it's worth what you think it is.

You can figure that most of these vehicles will never sell at the asking prices on here, and when they do the price gets dropped and dropped and dropped until it sells.

General rule of thumb, is they will sell for 60% of their retail "NEW" Value at 3 years old, then drop 5% every year after that minimum regardless of mileage.

So a brand new Z06 in 2010 that probably stickered at $82K using 30% in the first three and 5% every year after that should list/sell for around $45K give or take a little on mileage and if the heads are done.

These are non-cash bearing depreciating assets as my accountant calls them, they are not rare like L88/427's or '63 SWC's are.

They are mass produced, the older they get the lower their value goes, so drive them, if you want to just look at them get a picture of one and hang it in your garage.

Every day you don't drive one is one less day you get to drive one !

The following 8 users liked this post by RidgeRunner0207:
LS6-M22 (05-21-2016), Nsomniac (02-17-2016), slow72 (06-13-2016), SteveDoten@ARH (04-14-2016), SyberSaint (01-28-2016), turbojay70 (03-30-2016), yfz450 (04-22-2016), Z5108 (01-26-2016) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RidgeRunner0207

Wow! Finally, an honest and helpful quantification for pricing. I just applied these percentages to a 2013 base C6 coupe I've been looking at and they were spot on relative to the sellers price. Unfortunately, far too many sellers haven't come to the reality of what their cars are truly worth. Thanks for posting a helpful pricing tip and hope you don't get flamed by the folks selling.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 AM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Sometimes the truth hurts, denying it does not change it.

Been buying and selling muscle cars and new/used vehicles for 30 years.

I got friends in the business.

Perception vs Reality...........hard pill to swallow for most vette owners..........they are not made of Gold, I love them and I have two and I do drive my vette's as well as my Bike..........

Life is way too short to look at cars because the value may go down because you drove them, you can't drive them once your dead......

Live "Life" Like you were dying, because you cannot take it with you !!!

Last edited by RidgeRunner0207; 01-26-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Ramsiec5 (04-25-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 10:20 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Yaupon
Wow! Finally, an honest and helpful quantification for pricing. I just applied these percentages to a 2013 base C6 coupe I've been looking at and they were spot on relative to the sellers price. Unfortunately, far too many sellers haven't come to the reality of what their cars are truly worth. Thanks for posting a helpful pricing tip and hope you don't get flamed by the folks selling.
Another thing worth mentioning in regards to the 13s is the selling price they were going for at the end of the C6 run. 1LTs could be had in the high 30s new. Some people still ask high 30s for such a used car. Personally I'm not gonna pay $35k for a car that sold for $39 k 3 years ago. I'm currently kinda looking for a decent 2008ish sub 40k mi 3LT narrow body LS3 at a price point of mid 20s. Not alot out there unless you consider cars that you'd low ball on.

In other threads you'll see posts complaining about the low ballers and window shoppers on here, but I think reality is most of the asking prices are unrealistic. You can't call em out in their for sale thread, so the seller simply gets no feedback and wonder whats up. Once in awhile you see a car that's a realistic asking price and it moves.
The following 2 users liked this post by DAFFYDRUNK:
steig (04-04-2016), Yaupon (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by teghogh
I was just wondering why there is such a disparity between the kbb suggested value of 33k for 2007 2lz with 22k miles and the prices that are being asked here.
Given the hell i went theough selling my mint condition 07 z 3 years ago i know how bad the market is for these cars
If kbb excellent suggest 35k , one is lucky to get the fair condition value of 33k for it.
Im not trying to lowball anyone. But will not over pay either. If you see one in california let me knwow got cash in hand ready to go
949 412 1521
A different view here.

Despite all the smack talk of KBB being worthless, your observations, and even examples provided by some of the critics, show, of all the pricing services, that KBB is a pretty good source of Vette pricing info.

I've bought and sold a lot of used sports cars -- 5 Vettes in the past 11 years. After a lot of searching and negotiations, I find my best private party deals (seller gets real; I come up a bit from starting pretty low) are remarkably close to KBB.

Also, try this -- EBay completed sales. Usually a bit below KBB private party, but then it's a tad risky for the buyer and sometimes inconvenient as well. Nothing like an auction market to get great value info...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 01-26-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:36 AM
lxconv331
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teghogh
949 412 1521
When buying Vette's or any used car and have to get financing from a bank I can tell with 100% that banks don't use KBB they use NADA!
The following 2 users liked this post by lxconv331:
Nsomniac (02-17-2016), Z5108 (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 11:59 AM
OhioC5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny, but when they want your car they break out the black book, lol.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:02 PM
HouseS2k
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I agree with all these statements. I may have just got here but I'm coming from the BMW world. Another thing to note is sellers unrealistically think that modifications add to a car value. This is not the case. Modifying cars is a terrible investment where, if your lucky may see a 5-10% return on parts and labor. I'm in the market for a supercharged vette but find the prices a little ridiculous. You are never going to get what you put into a car. It's not a home where you can slightly increase equity. I'm patient tho so I'll wait until a realistic price is asked.
Z5108 (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 12:12 PM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

It is what it is, I never buy new, I buy 3-5 years old with the first buyer taking the biggest hit.

Why pay full price, and in this market there is way more sellers than buyers and many low mileage garage queens for sale.

If the market keeps tanking I might just scoop up that ZR1 this year as well........someones loss is another man's gain.
The following 2 users liked this post by RidgeRunner0207:
Amicon (04-23-2016), Yaupon (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 01:41 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

It is what it is, I never buy new, I buy 3-5 years old with the first buyer taking the biggest hit.

Why pay full price, and in this market there is way more sellers than buyers and many low mileage garage queens for sale.

If the market keeps tanking I might just scoop up that ZR1 this year as well........someones loss is another man's gain.
Buying used like this is my preference too but I did order my C7 new. Never had a new car before and thought it would be fun even if I only did it once...
Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I'll add that the best thing about buying a used Corvette is that in many cases it's damned-near new. Older guys buy them, drive them like grandmas to cruise-ins and shows, lavish love and wax on them, and then sell them because the new models are out.

That's the profile I'm looking for when I buy this spring. Then I'll drive it like it should be driven and mod it like it should be modded.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by lxconv331
When buying Vette's or any used car and have to get financing from a bank I can tell with 100% that banks don't use KBB they use NADA!
Probably true -- state tax folks use it as well to circumvent registration fraud.

But, I never finance through banks so I am concerned only with private party transactions like my own...
Old 01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Originally Posted by jcsperson

I'll add that the best thing about buying a used Corvette is that in many cases it's damned-near new. Older guys buy them, drive them like grandmas to cruise-ins and shows, lavish love and wax on them, and then sell them because the new models are out.

That's the profile I'm looking for when I buy this spring. Then I'll drive it like it should be driven and mod it like it should be modded.
Bought my 2013/1SC/427 Vert with 1358 one owner garaged ( Only Looked At, many coats of wax ) miles.

Its brand new in every way and they took the big hit and I got essentially a brand new fully loaded corvette.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:29 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Yeah, people's prices are funny, but since you can't call them out on it here, they just bump the thread once a week for several months and give up.

I love when people think mods add value. A $8k supercharger job might add $2k value to the car, depending on the car. Many decrease the value.

Occasionally someone posts a reasonable price, which is nice.

Get notified of new replies

To Just checked the z06 values on kbb

Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

All the guys complain about seller pricing make me laugh.

Y'all continue to wait, and want, and hope, and wish about buying a corvette.

I'll just look out the window at the grand sport, z06 and zr1 I have parked in front of the house...

If the seller price isn't in your range. Just move on. Don't waste time with stupid low ball offers..

Also it's funny when guys complain about mods add no value..

But for the same price as a stock car want all these mods to be included.

If we worked out a sale price on a highly modded car, and I took all the stuff off and replaced with factory parts, would you expect to have to pay the same price??
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackonblacksls:
4drturbo (03-31-2016), Fabio-Z06 (04-21-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I only buy good deals like a few of you.

But I don't waste people's times with low *****.

I pass on all the higher prices stuff, and when something comes along that's too good to pass up I'll grab it.

Then I'll usually make some money off it, or beat it up and rag it out, and still get almost all my money out of it.
Amicon (04-30-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 04:28 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
I only buy good deals like a few of you.

But I don't waste people's times with low *****.

I pass on all the higher prices stuff, and when something comes along that's too good to pass up I'll grab it.

Then I'll usually make some money off it, or beat it up and rag it out, and still get almost all my money out of it.

So when something priced well shows up, you buy it and then post it at a higher price?

Or

You purposely beat the hell out of it and screw the next auto enthusiast like yourself?

Win-win...never buy a car from this guy
The following 3 users liked this post by SgtRod:
DavidJ1_99 (04-13-2016), Skalini (07-29-2018), yellowmnm (05-07-2016)

Quick Reply: Just checked the z06 values on kbb