C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Nitrous Install - "out of the way (hidden)"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Nitrous Install - "out of the way (hidden)"

Made the switch panel this afternoon. Put it in the center console, so only need one hole in the center trim for wire pull. It's ABS plastic covered with black felt like on the bottom of the console. Hope to get the rest done Sunday.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by hole in the center trim but if you're interested there is a way to route the wire near the brake handle without making any hole. I found this out in installing a bluetooth phone system, with the LCD screen cable shown in the following pic.

Best of luck with the rest of the install -- is the whole thing stealth or just the interior switches?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SteveL2
I'm not sure what you mean by hole in the center trim but if you're interested there is a way to route the wire near the brake handle without making any hole. I found this out in installing a bluetooth phone system, with the LCD screen cable shown in the following pic.

Best of luck with the rest of the install -- is the whole thing stealth or just the interior switches?

That looks great. I thought about that, and if the amount of wires aren't too much, then we may go that way. I left the back of the switch plate open so the wires could run right in.

Thanks for the shot! It's all stealth. The only issue is hiding the bottle, but I'm doing a cover that looks like a subwoofer enclosure, so it's all not just jumping out at you.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:37 AM
BIGGGIE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

What NOS system you go with? and would love to see more pics when finished..i am think installing a Nos kit also..
Old 09-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Follow up. Time to mock up the install!!!!!!! The bottle will be mounted as shown, and covered with a fake subwoofer box. All lines and solenoids hidden. Dynotune 100 dry shot kit. It's not exactly hidden because I'm showing all the "secrets" here, but just wanted to give the community some additional options.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YellowVette22
What NOS system you go with? and would love to see more pics when finished..i am think installing a Nos kit also..
I went with Dynotune stuff (they make all their own equipment). Not a vendor, so PM me if you want info.

It's a 10lb bottle with a 100 dry shot (comes adjustable from 50-100 bhp and I had him throw in a nozzle for 125bhp for 100rwhp). Their remote bottle opener is awesome, and if you don't want to hide it, they have a billet mounting bracket that is amazing.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mounting the bottle sideways like that is not a great idea. You want the low end of the bottle toward the back of the car so that the acceleration forces when you hit the nitrous push the liquid to the bottom of the bottle (where the siphon pickup tube is inside the bottle).

Mounted the way you show it, the car can starve for nitrous under hard acceleration with a partial bottle, or when making a hard left turn. This significantly reduces the usable capacity of the bottle, not to mention producing unexpected driving behavior.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shopdog
Mounting the bottle sideways like that is not a great idea. You want the low end of the bottle toward the back of the car so that the acceleration forces when you hit the nitrous push the liquid to the bottom of the bottle (where the siphon pickup tube is inside the bottle).

Mounted the way you show it, the car can starve for nitrous under hard acceleration with a partial bottle, or when making a hard left turn. This significantly reduces the usable capacity of the bottle, not to mention producing unexpected driving behavior.

You are correct, and all known quantities. Although not optimal, as long as the bottle is above 3 pounds or so, no problems. Additionally, I will never be on the nitrous in a hard turn. I'm willing to take the tradeoff for the space situation and my preferred bottle location.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Additional follow up: got the bottle cover made. This isn't exactly hidden, but I could put a couple 8" grilles on the front and it would look like a cheap sub box, and it would pass muster for most. Just ideas, so take what you will, or nothing:

And behind door #3:

The top will also fit in the car still. You just have to re-latch the center latch once off the top so it clears the bottle cover.

Those that wish to follow this idea, but new to nitrous should pay attention to Shopdog's post above and know what you're getting into.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

I'm diggin' it Ron...
Jeremy
Old 09-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Looks great.I feel sorry for the person who runs into you,thinking your bone stock.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tony B4
Looks great.I feel sorry for the person who runs into you,thinking your bone stock.
Thanks! I'm pretty much giving away the bone stock vibe with the Lingenfelter badges and cam rocking the car!

It's just that now they won't know the extent of the damage coming! Be my luck to find the guy with twin turbos and a 300 shot of hidden nitrous.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:07 AM
BIGGGIE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Big Ron 77
Thanks! I'm pretty much giving away the bone stock vibe with the Lingenfelter badges and cam rocking the car!

It's just that now they won't know the extent of the damage coming! Be my luck to find the guy with twin turbos and a 300 shot of hidden nitrous.
Yea that Car Is Hot Ron!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:10 AM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Nice custom work Ron...the car is looking SIIC man, luv the wheels too.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Corvette Racing
Advanced

very nice, I think I should do the same thing and put a custom box for my Nitrous too
Old 09-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Supposed to be doing the rest of the install today. At least it's one option of you don't want the look of the bottle overwhelming the hatch area. You could do the same thing behind the seats, but I didn't want to block any access to the hatch area from my seat, plus I wanted the extra weight behind the rear wheels (if I'm adding 20lbs, I'd rather do it in this location).

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Nitrous Install - "out of the way (hidden)"

Old 09-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Mardis Gras
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

S W E E T !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted with any additions....
Old 09-12-2006, 10:42 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

Default underhood pic

please post underhood pic once you get started I am thinking about doing 100 dry shot too. Iwant to see how and where to tap the nozzle..and the throtle switch.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Big Ron 77
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wratran
please post underhood pic once you get started I am thinking about doing 100 dry shot too. Iwant to see how and where to tap the nozzle..and the throtle switch.
Then you're in trouble with my setup. My installers put extra time into hiding the hell out of it. You would have to know exactly where to look (and it's not in the engine bay area) to know I had it). I sent you an email though. I'm also running the LPE CAI, but if you are using the stock air bridge, just tap it about 10-12" from the MAF (basically the air bridge where it meets the filters and aim the nozzle at the side of the air bridge (i.e. don't shoot straight at MAF).

BIG THANKS TO PATRICK SPARKS AND JON V. FOR THE INSTALL.

You guys want any more details, just PM me.

We just used the super safe 75bhp jet with bottle pressure around 1000psi, and holy hell...it pulls crazy. Pat and Jon set my window switch up to spray b/w 3500 and 6000, which was perfect...so smooth it feels like taking off in a plane. This switch is also a WOT switch, so we tapped the signals right from the PCM. Definitely get the window switch.

I can't wait to get it on a dyno next week and see what it's doing...then decide if I'm going up a jet?

Last edited by Big Ron 77; 09-12-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 Nitrous Install - "out of the way (hidden)"