C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new mag hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:19 AM
excessive81
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new mag hood

Old 12-16-2006, 09:12 AM
SSJCreeper
Pro

Looks nice. The RK Sport hood has softer lines. They needed to sharpen the lines just slightly to match the stock lines coming up from the bumper. Looks like they did that with this one.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:47 AM
pennys58
SC CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

At that angle, it kinda looks like a Mo-Hawk...atleast they're starting to come out with some more options though.

John
Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

That looks SWEET Shane!!!!!!!!
What type of hood is it?
Old 12-16-2006, 03:37 PM
ToSlowForU
Racer

Just MHO
Old 12-16-2006, 03:52 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-16-2006, 05:12 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

not sure the brand name but wcc sells them. looks like the same company has a nose, side skirts and wing. but they don't do much for me but i agree choices are nice. i do like this hood over the rk sport if i was doing a maggie. theirs is to "stock" looking to me to have spent money on a hood
Old 12-16-2006, 05:49 PM
SickRick
Drifting

Originally Posted by black05c6z51
not sure the brand name but wcc sells them. looks like the same company has a nose, side skirts and wing. but they don't do much for me but i agree choices are nice. i do like this hood over the rk sport if i was doing a maggie. theirs is to "stock" looking to me to have spent money on a hood
That, I believe, is the OBJECT of the RK Sport hood- SUBTLETY...

You really have to know what you're looking at to know what it is. Even alot of Corvette Folk, look at my car, and can't really "pin out" what is different - asking "did you change the hood", instead of KNOWING that it's a hood swap. This of course leads to alot of sly grinning, until I finally POP the hood...

That new hood (top of thread) looks nice, but given the softer lines of the RK that are more fitting with the softer lines of the C6, it (the RK) would (still) be my choice today if I were doing it all over again (which thank GOD I AM NOT!)...

Rick
Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Off of the subject Rick,I just installed a 3.2 pulley on my maggie and seem to be pulling only about 6lbs of boost!
Do You think the belt may be slipping?
Thanks,George
Old 12-17-2006, 01:59 AM
SickRick
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1bdasvt
Off of the subject Rick,I just installed a 3.2 pulley on my maggie and seem to be pulling only about 6lbs of boost!
Thanks,George

What were you getting with the 3.4? I went to the 3.3 on mine, and was getting the REAR belt slipping - we had replaced it when magnuson neglected to tell us we had to notch the hood crossmember to clear the MP122 case - and apparantly it got stretched or was too loose in the first place.

The rear belt should have ZERO DEFLECTION in it. There's a jackscrew that you use to tighten the belt down (after loosening the two boltheads), then tighten the boltheads down and loosen the jackscrew slightly. IMPORTANT TO LOOSEN THE JACKSCREW - it puts pressure right on the bearing of that nosecone pulley and will kill it (sooner than later) if you don't loosen it up...

There's fairly decent belt wrap, even with the 3.2 (I ran one before upgrading - 14 lbs - a little too much for my comfort), and you should be able to run the same belt as the 3.2. Try a Gatorback also, if you suspect the accessory drive pulley is slipping.

Usually, with a slipping belt, the boost will go up and then bleed off suddenly.

Rick
Old 12-17-2006, 09:15 AM
SSJCreeper
Pro

Originally Posted by 1bdasvt
Thanks,George

George, that certainly does not sound right. In boost with my 3.4, I consistently hit about 5.5lbs. With the 3.2, I hit 7.5lbs everytime.

Two things that could help:

1) While I was able to run the same belt that I had with the 3.4 on, I ended up changing to a Gates model that turned out to be a smaller belt and it made for a much tighter fit than my previous belt. In fact, after changing, it made me wonder if I wasn't getting slippage with the previous belt - cause the new one was soo much more snug!

2) When installing the new pulley, it's a close fit to the front of the Maggie. Hopefully your pulley clears with enough space and isn't getting into the front of the Maggie a bit and slowing it down.

Hope that helps!

Doug
Old 12-17-2006, 10:51 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by SickRick
What were you getting with the 3.4? I went to the 3.3 on mine, and was getting the REAR belt slipping - we had replaced it when magnuson neglected to tell us we had to notch the hood crossmember to clear the MP122 case - and apparantly it got stretched or was too loose in the first place.

The rear belt should have ZERO DEFLECTION in it. There's a jackscrew that you use to tighten the belt down (after loosening the two boltheads), then tighten the boltheads down and loosen the jackscrew slightly. IMPORTANT TO LOOSEN THE JACKSCREW - it puts pressure right on the bearing of that nosecone pulley and will kill it (sooner than later) if you don't loosen it up...

There's fairly decent belt wrap, even with the 3.2 (I ran one before upgrading - 14 lbs - a little too much for my comfort), and you should be able to run the same belt as the 3.2. Try a Gatorback also, if you suspect the accessory drive pulley is slipping.

Usually, with a slipping belt, the boost will go up and then bleed off suddenly.

Rick
Thanks Rick!
You are probably right,because yesterday when I floored it,it seemed to boost then "hiccup" for air!
Mines a mp112,so what size Gator belt would You reccomend!
Thanks,George
Old 12-17-2006, 10:56 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by SSJCreeper
George, that certainly does not sound right. In boost with my 3.4, I consistently hit about 5.5lbs. With the 3.2, I hit 7.5lbs everytime.

Two things that could help:

1) While I was able to run the same belt that I had with the 3.4 on, I ended up changing to a Gates model that turned out to be a smaller belt and it made for a much tighter fit than my previous belt. In fact, after changing, it made me wonder if I wasn't getting slippage with the previous belt - cause the new one was soo much more snug!

2) When installing the new pulley, it's a close fit to the front of the Maggie. Hopefully your pulley clears with enough space and isn't getting into the front of the Maggie a bit and slowing it down.

Hope that helps!

Doug
Doug,hope all is well!
The pulley "is" very close,but about a papers thickness will fit in between!
I should change to either a gator or smaller gates belt!{what size gates did You get?}
I think my max boost was about 6lbs!
I also have headers which some people say "reduces" boost!
Anyways,thanks for the help,and Rick,Your advice is also helpful!
George

Get notified of new replies

To new mag hood

Quick Reply: new mag hood