C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turbo Systems Emissions Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
AS10TRK
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Twin Turbo Systems Emissions Legal?

I am considering buying a C6 Corvette and installing one of the twin turbo systems, probably APS or STS system. My question would be will I still be able to meet emmission requirements and pass State Inspection, specifically Texas requirements. Anyone know? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Neither CARB nor Federal rules allow relocation of the cats. All states must comply with one or the other. This makes the APS is illegal everywhere in the US. Whether its legal or will pass emissions is a different issue. I would think with cats and a proper tune you could pass a sniffer but I have not read of anyone doing it yet. If its only an OBD code check then you could pass with just a tune. If its a visual things get more dicey but the APS is surprisingly low key to the uneducated eye so it may go by. Im not well read on the STS so Im not sure if that one relocates the cats, seems to me that I read they do not but Im sure someone better informed will chime in on that on.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:03 PM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also be interested in knowing about this.

ttt
Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 PM
cjz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AS10TRK
I am considering buying a C6 Corvette and installing one of the twin turbo systems, probably APS or STS system. My question would be will I still be able to meet emmission requirements and pass State Inspection, specifically Texas requirements. Anyone know? Thanks.
Can't speak for everywhere but so far in Texas when I have taken the cars in they don't even run them on the dyno. The newer cars they just hook up to the computer and if there are no codes you get a sticker and go on your way.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 PM
ProtoVette
Pro

You don't touch/move/remove/alter/replace the cats on the C5 STS system that I installed on my car. STS should be the same on the C6. In essence, its no different than just installing a catback exhaust, and no emmissions components are touched. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:21 PM
0APS
Former Vendor

As long as you have cats installed you should easily pass state emission laws which is normally based on the federal IM 240 hot engine emission test.

Peter
Old 01-03-2007, 01:23 PM
AS10TRK
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by APS
As long as you have cats installed you should easily pass state emission laws which is normally based on the federal IM 240 hot engine emission test.

Peter
Peter-
I am not sure that is correct and this is why I am asking. I know you obviously have to leave the cats in the system, however I believe crabman may be correct that they cannot be moved. Anybody out there familar with chapter and verse of Texas requirements?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 PM
AS10TRK
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chris310P
Can't speak for everywhere but so far in Texas when I have taken the cars in they don't even run them on the dyno. The newer cars they just hook up to the computer and if there are no codes you get a sticker and go on your way.
Chris-
From what I can find out no dyno or tailpipe sniffer test is required on any of the newer cars which have OBII in Texas. I think you may be right that as long as there are no computer fault codes set you can get an inspection. If that is true then the only question is about the cats.
Do cats have to be relocated with the APS system and if so, is that legal?
(Note: For the record all of the above seems ridiculous since I have run
a blown alcohol motor on street and it is legal in Texas with NO
emission controls since methanol/ethanol is considered an
"Alternative" clean air fuel in Texas.)
Thanks for everybody's input so far.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Peter-
I am not sure that is correct and this is why I am asking. I know you obviously have to leave the cats in the system, however I believe crabman may be correct that they cannot be moved. Anybody out there familar with chapter and verse of Texas requirements?
I think what he meant was that you will pass the state emmissions test. As I said all states must comply with either CARB or Federal emissions rules. Neither allows for relocation of the cats. This information is readily available on the EPAs website. Here is a cut and paste...

What is the difference between the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB)?

The EPA is a federal governmental agency that works to develop and enforce regulations that implement environmental laws enacted by Congress. CARB is a California governmental agency that promotes and protects public health, welfare and ecological resources through the reduction of air pollutants.

What agency establishes the laws that affect the emissions controls on my vehicle?

The State of California has long been recognized as one of the major air pollution problem areas in the United States. CARB was established in part to study this problem and implement changes to reduce air pollution. CARB has been leading the nation in implementation of strict emissions requirements for motor vehicles through the use of emission control devices and bi-annual motor vehicle smog-check program. Vehicles that are labeled as "California Emissions Equipped Vehicles" vehicles meet the emissions requirement of CARB for that particular model year.

The EPA establishes the pollution laws and regulations for states other than California. Vehicles that are labeled as "Federal" emission equipped vehicles meet the emissions requirement of the EPA for that particular model year.

Have other states adopted the California emissions laws?

In recent years, other states have suffered similar air pollution problems similar to those that faced California. Instead of these states enacting their own set of emissions laws, the federal government offered the California laws as an alternative. Instead of having 50 different sets of emissions laws, states must choose between either the California or Federal regulations.

At the present time there are several states that have enacted the California laws (i.e. Mass., Maine, New York, and Vermont) and new vehicles are sold as "California Emissions Equipped Vehicles". You can easily determine the emissions status of your car by referring to the emissions decal that is placed under the hood of your car.

Is my vehicle required to be submitted to a tailpipe emissions "smog-check?

This depends on the state that you reside in and the local requirements. For example in California, smog-checks are required in populated areas, but not in selected rural areas. With laws and regulations changing at an increasing rate, it is very difficult for the aftermarket to keep ahead of these changes. We suggest you contact your local or state agencies for information regarding your emissions laws.

Can I legally replace an emissions sensitive part on my car with an aftermarket product?

In the state of California, it is not legal to replace an emissions sensitive device without the replacement part having an exemption from CARB. Although replacing a particular device might have no apparent effect on the emissions, and the car might even pass a tail pipe "smog-check", the replacement part is still not considered emissions legal. In many cases, the mandatory visual inspection of the vehicle prior to an official state required smog-check may result in immediate failure of the test if a non-exempt part is identified.

A part that has been issued a CARB exemption has been subjected to strict laboratory testing as required by CARB in order to demonstrate that the replacement part will not increase emissions. (These tests are NOT the same as the "smog check" test and often require "cold start" testing procedures in order to test the efficiency of the emissions system during the initial seconds of the start-up cycle.) A part that has successfully passed these tests will be appointed an Executive Order number and will be listed on the CARB website for reference. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB. This number should be displayed on or near the emissions sensitive part for reference by a smog check technician.

For a database listing of current exempt parts, visit:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

What does it mean when an aftermarket product is advertised as "CARB Exempt" or "50 State Legal"?

Although a part may be advertised as "50 State Legal", this may be more of a marketing statement than reality. Unless an emissions sensitive part has been issued an Executive Order number by CARB, or an EPA exemption, the part is NOT legal for street use. Parts that are typically appointed CARB exemptions include: headers, air filter/intakes, turbo kits, and supercharger kits. Parts that are typically not eligible for a CARB exemption include, but are not limited to: OBD II replacement catalytic converters (as of early 2005, only a few 1997 and later OBD II catalytic converters have been granted an exemption), downpipes or headers that remove or relocate a catalytic converter, and performance carburetor kits. Contact the manufacturer of a product that you are considering purchasing for details regarding that specific component.

An exhaust system that is installed AFTER the catalytic converter is considered a "cat-back" system and is considered emissions legal. (Sound level restrictions may be an issue in your state, check with the exhaust manufacturer or you local authorities for more information.)

Can I replace the OEM catalytic converter on my car with a "high flow" catalytic converter?

The catalytic converter plays a major role in the emissions reduction of a motor vehicle. The vehicle manufacturer has matched a specific catalytic converter to the vehicle to minimize emissions output. Both CARB and the EPA do not allow the replacement of a catalytic converter with non-exempt "high flow" performance replacement unit. In fact, it is technically not legal to even replace a converter unless it has been proven by technician to have failed, and then it can only be replaced with an exempt OEM equivalent unit. (However, enforcement of this requirement is almost non-existent and is the primary loop-hole that allows the usage of so-called "high flow" catalytic converters. Many of these units are sold with the disclaimer as being a "race" component and are not intended for street use.) Due to the hundreds of vehicle models produced over the years, it is virtually impossible to determine by glancing under a car whether the converter is the original unit, a legal OEM replacement, or a non-legal aftermarket "high flow" performance unit. Unless CARB or the EPA decide to take more aggressive enforcement action, the installation and usage of these non-exempt "high flow" catalytic converters will likely continue.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

The STS system is bolted up like a catback and doesn't alter the stock exhaust system in front of the H pipe. Plus the heat and weight are in a more advantageous place being in the rear. I've also heard that STS is getting an emission cert for the system, but not sure. I'm waiting on a call back from them to ask a lot of these questions, but this system looks to be the best for me as I want to leave the car emission system stock. I also think you can do it yourself if you have the wherewithall as it is a bolt on, and doesn't require major removal of exhaust and engine components.. Horsepower TV did an episode of an install on a C6http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...9000e3a63d.htm and it looked pretty easy, over 500 RWHP, and no perseptible lag. I'm seriously considering it since I am in CA, it's a lot less expensive and fits my needs.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:00 PM
AS10TRK
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Rich-
Thanks for the input. If it will pass in Ca, it will probably pass anywhere else in the country. I also saw that episode of Horsepower TV which is what got me thinking about turbocharger install to begin with.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Rich-
Thanks for the input. If it will pass in Ca, it will probably pass anywhere else in the country. I also saw that episode of Horsepower TV which is what got me thinking about turbocharger install to begin with.
I'm still waiting on the call from STS to determine the emissions standards. I think the only thing that would be questionalbe would be the intercooler which is part of the intake system. Otherwise, it's not messing with any emission equipement, so there shouldn't be a problem. They also put a fitting on the MAF for emissions, so I'm hoping that solves any issues. What I also like is that the system can be removed and the car is back to stock very easy, so if there is a problem come emissions time, it is easily resolved. Now, if the clutch can take the extra HP (I don't drag race, but do HPDE), it's really hard not to say no !!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:13 PM
AS10TRK
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

ttt
Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Default Carb

Talked to STS and apparently the C6 system was checked by BAR (CA SMOG checkers) at a tuner in LA Nov/Dec time frame and it passed, so now STS is just waiting on the paperwork to get through CARB for the official certification. Looking good (or bad since this is one less reason to say no ) !

Last edited by Minkster; 01-05-2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Caps on title
Old 01-05-2007, 03:54 PM
AS10TRK
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Minkster
Talked to STS and apparently the C6 system was checked by BAR (CA SMOG checkers) at a tuner in LA Nov/Dec time frame and it passed, so now STS is just waiting on the paperwork to get through CARB for the official certification. Looking good (or bad since this is one less reason to say no ) !
I know what you mean, this would sure make it a lot easier to justify!

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Turbo Systems Emissions Legal?

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Systems Emissions Legal?