C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI Trouble codes? Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:55 PM
intercooled C6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI Trouble codes? Need Advice

Hey Guys,

I am having a bit a trouble with my 07 A6 ATI Prochared car. The system is throwing codes: P0172 System to rich :P0340 cam shaft position sensor
A circuit bank 1 and P0341 cam shaft position sensor. I reset the system and it throws it again. The car seems to be driving fine, idols well and the wideband is showing 14.5 . Has anybody had this same issue, and what was done to solve this problem. Any guidance on this matter would be most helpful. Please chime wright in...

Thanks

Larry
Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to alarm you, but I'd have someone look at it sooner then later. If I'm not mistaken 07 has single cam bolt and if that's coming loose, its not good...

Mike
Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by intercooled C6
Hey Guys,

I am having a bit a trouble with my 07 A6 ATI Prochared car. The system is throwing codes: P0172 System to rich :P0340 cam shaft position sensor
A circuit bank 1 and P0341 cam shaft position sensor. I reset the system and it throws it again. The car seems to be driving fine, idols well and the wideband is showing 14.5 . Has anybody had this same issue, and what was done to solve this problem. Any guidance on this matter would be most helpful. Please chime wright in...

Thanks

Larry
Does both 340 and 341 return upon start up? The reason I ask is because it is rare for both of them to come on, 340 is for lack of a signal upon crank or engine running, 341 is for too many CMP sensor pulses after or during start.

P172 is rich bank 1, you say you see a perfect 14.5 AFR but where is the WB02 sensor located, if its on the right bank that is bank 2 so there can be a problem in the drivers side bank causing the system to see a rich condition. You could have an injector leaking by that can cause a rich condition, a misfire will not cause a lrich condition but would easily inidicate a lean condition on your WBO2 sensor.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:09 AM
intercooled C6
Racer

Default Re codes

Originally Posted by tjwong
Does both 340 and 341 return upon start up? The reason I ask is because it is rare for both of them to come on, 340 is for lack of a signal upon crank or engine running, 341 is for too many CMP sensor pulses after or during start.

P172 is rich bank 1, you say you see a perfect 14.5 AFR but where is the WB02 sensor located, if its on the right bank that is bank 2 so there can be a problem in the drivers side bank causing the system to see a rich condition. You could have an injector leaking by that can cause a rich condition, a misfire will not cause a lrich condition but would easily inidicate a lean condition on your WBO2 sensor.
it does trigger soon as i start it up.the wideband is on the left side but the mixture stays about 14.5 . i am using fast injectors. the P172 has only came on twice? the 340 and 341 comes on more frequently. do you know where the cam sensor is? i have not pined the front crank pulley if that helps. i don't think the dealer will honor the warranty because of the FI set up? If i take it off the head unit The tune is still on the PCM.
I am confused on what is causing these codes. the car only has 20,000
miles. i hope my cam is not coming loose.

Larry
Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 AM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say the cam bolt too.Seen it many times.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The cam sensor is located on the timing cover. If you can get the car on a rack you can look up above the balancer on the timing cover just below the water pump. It is on the drivers side of the timing cover. Did they install a cam during the blower installation? I would also check the cam sensor connection which is right below the balancer directly below the power steering pump bracket, that could have been disturbed during the blower installation. If you are under the car you can see the main wire harness that runs along the drivers side of the engine along the oil pan rail, right at the front of the engine the cam sensor pig tail connection is there, right at the front drivers side corner of the block where the oil pan meets the block. You will also see that the cam sensor is above that connection, at the sensor itself is another connection. It is a short (6 inches) jumper is shielded with a sheet metal shield, so there is actually 2 connections there. It is tough to get to, sometimes if you got skinny arms you can reach in from behind the alternator and reach it.

A loose cam bolt would be the worst case scenario, and yes I doubt GM is going to help you with that one.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
intercooled C6
Racer

Originally Posted by tjwong
The cam sensor is located on the timing cover. If you can get the car on a rack you can look up above the balancer on the timing cover just below the water pump. It is on the drivers side of the timing cover. Did they install a cam during the blower installation? I would also check the cam sensor connection which is right below the balancer directly below the power steering pump bracket, that could have been disturbed during the blower installation. If you are under the car you can see the main wire harness that runs along the drivers side of the engine along the oil pan rail, right at the front of the engine the cam sensor pig tail connection is there, right at the front drivers side corner of the block where the oil pan meets the block. You will also see that the cam sensor is above that connection, at the sensor itself is another connection. It is a short (6 inches) jumper is shielded with a sheet metal shield, so there is actually 2 connections there. It is tough to get to, sometimes if you got skinny arms you can reach in from behind the alternator and reach it.

A loose cam bolt would be the worst case scenario, and yes I doubt GM is going to help you with that one.

No i did not get a cam when blower was installed it is a stock cam.
Now i am scared to start it fearing the worst... might happen.
I am going to check the connectors and the sensor today. if I cant find any problems then i am going to take it to the dealer. i wish i knew if it was the cam somehow then i would just fix it my self. that is a lot of work to pull all the stuf off and find out that it was a bad sensor...
like i said before "the codes triggers wright when i start it up..."

Larry
Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
intercooled C6
Racer

Well I am going to take the car down to Harbor Chevrolet in long beach ca right now.
Stay tuned, By the way they said that the warranty might still be valid if the motor has not been removed or seals broken we will see...

Larry

Last edited by intercooled C6; 03-25-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 PM
intercooled C6
Racer

Ok
went to the dealer Harbor chevrolet and talked to the manger Ed and he said that if it is a supercharger issue then i would have to pay for the work. if it is due to the factory A loose cam bolt bolt then it is covered But i would have to pay for removal of head unit if it needs to be pulled. i gave him the error codes that it threw and he said, he has not seen one with a loose cam bolt yet. Anyways they need the car to show the codes at the time i take it in, and now the car wont throw the codes. I started it up about 10 times trying to get it to error and it wont? sounds like a bad sensor or loose wire? once it triggers again I will take it down to them. Stay tunned.

Larry

Last edited by intercooled C6; 03-25-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:53 AM
intercooled C6
Racer

[QUOTE=intercooled C6;1569441022]Ok
went to the dealer Harbor Chevrolet and talked to the manger Ed and he said that if it is a supercharger issue then i would have to pay for the work. if it is due to the factory A loose cam bolt bolt then it is covered But i would have to pay for removal of head unit if it needs to be pulled. i gave him the error codes that it threw and he said, he has not seen one with a loose cam bolt yet. Anyways they need the car to show the codes at the time i take it in, and now the car wont throw the codes. I started it up about 10 times trying to get it to error and it wont? sounds like a bad sensor or loose wire? once it triggers again I will take it down to them. Stay tunned.

Larry

Ok, it just got worse today started the car up no problems ran fine no engine light codes. drove the car to pick up my son from school ran fine AFR about 14.5 running like normal stopped at a store ran inside for about 15 min's came out pushed the starter switch it turned over about 8 times then stoped. I am like oh no... it has never doe this. Pushed the switch again turns over about 5 times starts but i hear what sound like Detonation this is not good, error light comes on. I call my son and ask him to meet me at the dealer in long beach I am going to take the car straight over to them now before it gets worse. I pull up to the Dealer talk to the Service Manager Ed he says go ahead and turn it off so i did.
after about 10 min the tek comes and puts the plastic covers on the seat an floor i ask him if we can see what code s it has thrown this time. He turns it over it turns over about 8 times and "POW" a back fire comes out the exhaust and i am like there it is thats it... it does start and runs pretty normal he checks for the codes and it is cam timing code again. no mixture problems this time. they take the car over to the Tek's and they started on it wright away... we will see the prognoses mon yawn na. By the way you will like this one I feel so stupid... After I got home yesterday from the dealer i took a look at the motor to see if I could see anything wrong. After about 10 min i notice that the mass air flow meter is facing in the wrong direction. it has been like this for 2 1/2 months and ran fine. UNBELIEVABLE. never saw a engine code in the 2 1/2 months prior. I will see what happens tomorrow when the dealer calls me.

Larry

Last edited by intercooled C6; 03-31-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 AM
intercooled C6
Racer

Hi guys

Well the dealer has had the car since Thursday and have not been able to diagnosis it yet. I called them today and they said it is a intermittent problem and they can not find the cause... I will see if they figure it out tomorrow.

Any thoughts on this....

Larry
Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 AM
intercooled C6
Racer

If anybody cares...

Dealer found the actual problem today. You won't believe it It was do to
Draw your own conclusion...

A
B
C

I Will post it if anybody wants to know.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
moog5050
Racer

I'm interested ... post up
Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 AM
james2292
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 AM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be courious to know what the problem was also. Could be something as simple as something CPS unplugged. Seen that before.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:55 AM
intercooled C6
Racer

Hey Hey Hey

Just got my Baby back from Dealer today. It is fixed and running better than ever. I was really concerned about the dealer flagging my car do to the mods that were on it. They really did me right I must say, The service Guy Mr #$## actually has a turbocharged #%%$# him self so he knows how it is. He was really understanding about the whole matter. They repaired my car and did a complete check on the computer under Warranty, No cost, $0.00. The actual problem with my car was the Cam Sensor on the front of the motor. It was intermittently sending or not sending a signal to the ECM. It had progressively got worse within a day and a half. I would just like to say THANKS TO HARBOR CHEVROLET For their Great service and support. I could have been jerked around big time if you know what I mean.

Until Next time You Guys have fun and Drive safely...

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To FI Trouble codes? Need Advice

Quick Reply: FI Trouble codes? Need Advice