C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam help for tvs 2300 on ls3?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam help for tvs 2300 on ls3?????

I'm dropping my car off this weekend to Charlie at RPM motors. This is going to be a MAX effort build on the stock block. Mods are-

Tvs 2300 10-12lbs boost
8 Rib upgrade
Lg Super pro 1 7/8
Catless
Lg Gt4 3" exhaust
Honker Intake
Ported Throttle Body
Dual Meth
Tuned on Klotz for 95 octane

Since I'm going for broke here (Literally) I have decided to add a cam. I want an agressive cam. Before going this route I was going with the G6x3. My question is, what would be a big agressive max effort cam for this application? What are some of you guys running and how did it increase your numbers?

Last edited by vettethret; 08-11-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike, no disrespect to other members, but I think Charlie would be the best person to consult with, since he putting the package for you.

10-12 lb of boost on stock engine? You crazy?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks
Mike, no disrespect to other members, but I think Charlie would be the best person to consult with, since he putting the package for you.

Believe me, I will listen to him. I was just curious what some of the bigger cams guys were running with FI. I was going to give him those specs and see what he thought. I'm getting antsy. I'm going for 750 rwhp!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds like fun, but at that power level on a stock block, seems like you might really be hangin' it out there & then some. Should be a blast.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettethret
Believe me, I will listen to him. I was just curious what some of the bigger cams guys were running with FI. I was going to give him those specs and see what he thought. I'm getting antsy. I'm going for 750 rwhp!
Mike, the stock Rods and pistons will not handle 750 HP. You are stepping into "built engine" zone, especially having PD S/C, where you push the Rods too much in low RPM.

You should either lower the boost or built the bottom. Or worst, see what happens...
Old 08-11-2009, 06:57 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Mike, the stock Rods and pistons will not handle 750 HP. You are stepping into "built engine" zone, especially having PD S/C, where you push the Rods too much in low RPM.

You should either lower the boost or built the bottom. Or worst, see what happens...
I'm going with option C Wink, lets see what happens!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

I'm going with option C Wink, lets see what happens!
Ok man, then let's do it. You're going to have a Viper killer now!

I'm happy to see, you went with TVS. Wish you Luck!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Ok man, then let's do it. You're going to have a Viper killer now!

I'm happy to see, you went with TVS. Wish you Luck!

There are a bunch of guys running centris at this level on stock blocks. Is it worse running a roots type at the same boost or is boost of all kinds the same?

I do have one of the best tuners in the world tuning and installing it.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

There are a bunch of guys running centris at this level on stock blocks. Is it worse running a roots type at the same boost or is boost of all kinds the same?
It's having all that low-end TQ that will/might cause you the problem. The Centris attain that in much higher RPM than you will. That's where you put too much strain on the engine.

That was the only reason I said, "Ok, let's do it"!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

With that much boost on an LS3 with a wide open exhaust, you might not need a big wampum cam. It will breathe easy and make a whole lot of hp/#. You might hit your goals with a fairly modest cam. Get a custom grind. Sounds like you're going first class every where else. Your proposed setup has the potential to break lots of ****!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sound like me... Push it to the limit and see how long it lasts!! Somebody's got to do the homework for everybody else! I hope we both last a looong time! My cam is a 224/232 .585 .604 114 It wasn't intended for FI application but it's proving to work well. The car is currently @ 12psi and making 702/606 in TX 100f heat and 60% humidity. It has a little lope but nothing obtrusive and seems to hit very hard for a centri car. I'm happy!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

go with a a&a stage 5 blower cam. something around 224/238 6.x/6.x 116 lsa. im putting in a stage 4 during christmas and dual meth . pully down for 14 psi. shooting for 750whp.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Slvr08Z51
You sound like me... Push it to the limit and see how long it lasts!! Somebody's got to do the homework for everybody else! I hope we both last a looong time! My cam is a 224/232 .585 .604 114 It wasn't intended for FI application but it's proving to work well. The car is currently @ 12psi and making 702/606 in TX 100f heat and 60% humidity. It has a little lope but nothing obtrusive and seems to hit very hard for a centri car. I'm happy!
I'm crossing my fingers it will last, if not, sell the wifes wedding ring and go a forged 418 ls3! Thanks for the help guys, cant wait to get this monster back!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The question is, how ofter do they hit that level. The snail powered cars makes boost on a linear scale vs RPM they typically will hit peak boost @ peak RPM, much less load doing it that way. Also remember this at WOT @ peak RPM and in 4th gear think about how fast one would be moving, how often would these guys be doing this on a public road. Sure they can do it, been there done it, just don't do it too often.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

sell the wifes wedding ring
Mike, how many "Wifes" do you have? Or do you mean Wife's?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 AM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

What size pulley are you using on the front? Just as a heads up, mine is a 2.9" It makes a little over 8psi. If you add a bigger cam and want more boost, you'll need a pretty small front pulley. Or..... are they going to change the back pullies? Overdrive the crank pulley? Your exhaust also sounds more open than mine. That TVS is going to have to move a whole lot of air to hit 12psi. It's going to be lots of fun when done!

Last edited by old motorhead; 08-13-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam help for tvs 2300 on ls3?????

Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by old motorhead
What size pulley are you using on the front? Just as a heads up, mine is a 2.9" It makes a little over 8psi. If you add a bigger cam and want more boost, you'll need a pretty small front pulley. Or..... are they going to change the back pullies? Overdrive the crank pulley? Your exhaust also sounds more open than mine. That TVS is going to have to move a whole lot of air to hit 12psi. It's going to be lots of fun when done!

I'm not sure. I am meeting with Charlie today to give him some more money and we will go over it. I know were upgrading to an 8 rib but im still unsure about the pulleys for this thing. All I know is i am going to get back a fire breathing monster and traction will be limited!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Mike, how many "Wifes" do you have? Or do you mean Wife's?
I'm like Jo Jo the dog faced boy when I type. I get so exited to get the words out I dont pay attention to my grammar, my English teacher would be ashamed!

And by the way, I can barely do it with one wife, no way I would want any more!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjwong
The question is, how ofter do they hit that level. The snail powered cars makes boost on a linear scale vs RPM they typically will hit peak boost @ peak RPM, much less load doing it that way. Also remember this at WOT @ peak RPM and in 4th gear think about how fast one would be moving, how often would these guys be doing this on a public road. Sure they can do it, been there done it, just don't do it too often.

Thats exaclt why I'm going a TVS, so I can feel that power on the road in daily driving. It looks like the low end torque causes more stress on the motor, looks like I'll be going in for a rebuild sooner than later!

Quick Reply: Cam help for tvs 2300 on ls3?????