C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Procharger or Vortech
D1SC
52.38%
T-Trim self contained
47.62%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

D1SC vs T-Trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Default D1SC vs T-Trim

The Procharger D1 flows 1200 cfm to the Vortech T-Trim's 1100

I have heard that the intercooler in the Vortech kit is better than the Prochargers

Both are self contained which is my preference (t-trim v3)

please post up about your builds and power with either unit as I can't decide which kit to go with
Old 02-12-2010, 07:05 PM
procharged
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i know it the procharger D1 flows 1400 cfm, and one time steve say the T-Trim same D1, my kit A&A kit with procharger head unit , and one of my friend have A&A kit with v3-Si-Trim it's soo Quiet and 1150 cfm his car z07 with cam and 7psi make 700WHP and the A/F 10.9
Old 02-12-2010, 07:17 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
The Procharger D1 flows 1200 cfm to the Vortech T-Trim's 1100

I have heard that the intercooler in the Vortech kit is better than the Prochargers

Both are self contained which is my preference (t-trim v3)

please post up about your builds and power with either unit as I can't decide which kit to go with
T-trim is 1200 cfm SI-trim is 1150 cfm

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 02-12-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

D1 hands down...
Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM
MachineWorks
Burning Brakes

I made 817hp with a D1. Never seen a T-Trim do that.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ProCharger is a little better head unit IMHO.. Billet Compressor wheel, billet housing and a dual bearing set up to help reduce wear and tear and keep temps lower.. My D1 is VERY quiet, not sure if there is something different in the newer ones, but it is quieter than my P1 was..
Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Both are very good head units, the D1 is capable of more power but unless your plan is to max it out that shouldnt really be your determinng factor. I would say the A&A kit has a nicer set-up than the standard procharger kit (not saying its a bad kit though). If you wanted the A&A kit but wanted the Procharger head unit, A&A makes a bracket for the procharger.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:15 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MachineWorks
There sure are not as many as D1's thats for sure, but here is one that I know of...

http://www.aacorvette.com/gallery/th...s.php?album=50
Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

how do the intercoolers compare?

can a procharger head unit be used in the AA kit?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:19 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2 cents worth:
Procharger does not publish compressor maps anywhere, so you won't be able to do an objective head unid comparison; the only thing you can say for sure is that Paxton head units have a higher internal gear ratio (4.10:1 as opposed to Vortech/Paxton's 3.6:1), so this allows higher impeller speeds with larger pulleys, I.E. potentially more power to be made before belt slip becomes an issue. IF the belt routing and tensioning systems were the same (they aren't).

Unless you are running a forged engine and going for big power, getting caught up on a head unit comparison is pretty pointless because either one can make too much power on a stock engine. What you should be comparing are the actual kits instead of the head units themselves. I've always had a bad impression of Procharger because back when I was doing my supercharger research their name was almost always associated with belt issues (belts slipping, breaking, jumping ribs) and serious overheating issues. A quick search for "Bollas Mod", "Procharger + overheating", "Procharger + belt" will show you what I mean. If you're in a searching mood, try "Procharger + Marbles"; that's what a lot of their head units sound like (marbles in a can).

I am told that the kit has undergone a lot of reviews and that the new head units are quiet and the belt and overheating issues have been sorted out. This being the case I think it'd come down to personal choice, but this was just the feedback I read 2-3 years ago when I was shopping for S/Cs; they were also more expensive which for me was a bit turn off. There are several shops around putting out Procharged Corvettes that are absolutely fantastic; these guys obviously know what they are doing and have worked around whatever issues the kit may have had; if you're doing the install yourself though, you may not know all the workarounds so what you'd really want is a kit that is trouble free from the beginning, as-supplied. I went with A&A's kit, which uses Vortech head units. It was a 3 day install with hand tools and jackstands, made 600RWHP, and gave me ZERO problems for the 30,000 daily driven miles I had it for untill one day I finally beat on it heard enough to break a piston
You should also look at ECS's kits. They use Paxton head units which share internals with Vortech and also have a solid record of putting out reliable high HP cars...
Old 02-13-2010, 12:26 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

My little 347 with an A&A DS1C setup pumps out 771 rwhp and my DS1C is very noisy and I like it that way
Old 02-13-2010, 06:11 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
My little 347 with an A&A DS1C setup pumps out 771 rwhp and my DS1C is very noisy and I like it that way
I never did get the "quiet blower" thing. H#ll if I have a blower I want you to hear me coming from a block away!!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
You should also look at ECS's kits. They use Paxton head units which share internals with Vortech and also have a solid record of putting out reliable high HP cars...
i like ecs but i do not want a paxton blower which is why i am comparing the D1 and the self contained T-trim
Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 PM
TRIZ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do the intercoolers compare?
can a procharger head unit be used in the AA kit?
Yes. Andy has a bracket for the Procharger. He can supply a complete kit.
Give Andy a call.
Originally Posted by MachineWorks
I've never seen a T-trim do 817 whp; but I've seen it make MORE.
A T-trimmed 346 C5 with 821 whp. I know who has the dyno chart.
A guy named Dr. Phil built and tuned it.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:50 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i like ecs but i do not want a paxton blower which is why i am comparing the D1 and the self contained T-trim
You realize that the Paxton blowers are virtually identical to the Vortech ones? The Vortech T-Trim is the same impeller, same involute, same airflow, made by the same company, etc as a Paxton 1500. If you are interested in a T-trim there is no reason to count out an ECS kit with a Paxton 1500. If your engine is stock though, and you are shooting for the 600RWHP range, a Vortech Si-Trim is a more efficient blower though, even if it does have a 50cfm lower rated maximum flow (which you are nowhere near at 600RWHP)

Originally Posted by saplumr
I never did get the "quiet blower" thing. H#ll if I have a blower I want you to hear me coming from a block away!!
It is not an issue of sound volume but rather sound quality... I love the turbine like sound a centrifugal compressor makes when it is wound way up, but the noise you get from a Procharger at low RPM when most centris are quiet (at least the old ones) is a tapping, rattling sound that comes from its oil slinger gear:

And it doesn't sound very good, in my opinion:

Last edited by PowerLabs; 02-14-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:07 PM
MachineWorks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Yes. Andy has a bracket for the Procharger. He can supply a complete kit.
Give Andy a call.

I've never seen a T-trim do 817 whp; but I've seen it make MORE.
A T-trimmed 346 C5 with 821 whp. I know who has the dyno chart.
A guy named Dr. Phil built and tuned it.

On pump gas and no meth?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:28 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Powerlabs -

I am interested in procharger head unit, my trusted friend and my experience both agree the D1 is the way to go, my tuner suggested the AA kit for the bracket and intercooler. The knowledge i've gained in this thread now tells me to use the better engineered AA Kit with the higher CFM D1 for the best of both worlds.

my rwhp goal is 666 using around 8-9lbs of boost, an efficient blower cam, supplement fuel system and meth for cooling benefits (not for pushing the envelope)

Get notified of new replies

To D1SC vs T-Trim

Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
You realize that the Paxton blowers are virtually identical to the Vortech ones? The Vortech T-Trim is the same impeller, same involute, same airflow, made by the same company, etc as a Paxton 1500. If you are interested in a T-trim there is no reason to count out an ECS kit with a Paxton 1500. If your engine is stock though, and you are shooting for the 600RWHP range, a Vortech Si-Trim is a more efficient blower though, even if it does have a 50cfm lower rated maximum flow (which you are nowhere near at 600RWHP)

It is not an issue of sound volume but rather sound quality... I love the turbine like sound a centrifugal compressor makes when it is wound way up, but the noise you get from a Procharger at low RPM when most centris are quiet (at least the old ones) is a tapping, rattling sound that comes from its oil slinger gear:

And it doesn't sound very good, in my opinion:
That is an ancient ProCharger that makes that noise.. That noise hasn't been present for over 3yrs in a ProCharger.. NONE of their newer blowers sound like that. Mine makes a sweet whine/whistle while it idles.. Music to my ears!!
Old 02-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Powerlabs -

I am interested in procharger head unit, my trusted friend and my experience both agree the D1 is the way to go, my tuner suggested the AA kit for the bracket and intercooler. The knowledge i've gained in this thread now tells me to use the better engineered AA Kit with the higher CFM D1 for the best of both worlds.

my rwhp goal is 666 using around 8-9lbs of boost, an efficient blower cam, supplement fuel system and meth for cooling benefits (not for pushing the envelope)
You WANT 666 hp? When mine made 666hp, I was like "Let's pull it one more time!" lol!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the dyno numbers I've seen posted on here and other forums it would seem that the D1 and the T-trim are VERY close in power potential. I've read just about every thread I could find about max effort setups like these since I will be maxing out my t-trim in the near future. They both seem to be able to do just a little over 800rwhp with 347 cubes and good heads/intake.

Quick Reply: D1SC vs T-Trim