C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Turbo Kits

Old 09-04-2010, 02:46 AM
pbm.cc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Turbo Kits

What is the cheapest turbo kit you guys have seen out there for a C6 LS2? My buddy bought a turbo kit for his mustang that new cost $1500! upgraded turbo and wastegage and 28lbs later he is running mid 8's in the quarter mile! Just wondering what is out ther other than STS and those $10k kits.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C6 is not a $500 fox body.. and does not have the room a fox body does.. and It's hard to believe that a car slapped on a $1,500 turbo kit and its running 8's
Old 09-04-2010, 09:15 AM
swollix
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

8's in the 1/8 mile?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Sleeper09
Instructor

I do not think you are going to be able to find a new turbo system or used for that matter for a vette anywhere near $1,500. Even for the fox body that seems way low, then again I have not done any research on mustang's turbo kits to know for sure.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Schwag One
Cruising

If you're going to do it, do it the correct way the first time. You're vette is most likey worth over 40k. I don't see the point in finding the cheapest because you pay for what you get....well when the engine blows it will give you all the more reason to do it right. My
Old 09-04-2010, 12:02 PM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Vette having a bigger engine is going to need a bigger turbo to feed the motor compared to a Fox Mustang. A good turbo alone will cost some $$. If you were a highly mechanically inclined person you in theory could build yourself your own kit for cheap, but the time it would take would far out weight the money saved.

There are at least 4 TT kits for Corvettes atm.

-LPE
-TTI
-STS
-APS

-HP (Added)

-10k is the cheapest... up to 40k for a complete kit.

Last edited by blaine123; 09-05-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Guys...I think he's talking about buying the cheap system for the parts(tubing, etc..) and upgrading the turbo and wastegate to quality pieices.

DIY is always cheaper. The more you can do, the less it will cost you. That $10K STS kit is fully bolt-on TWIN system with tuner.

The STS Universal kits are FAAAAR cheaper. But you've gotta have some fabrication skills....
Old 09-04-2010, 03:37 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I would love to step up to a turbo kit but I don't really like any of the ones that are out. APS, TTix, STS. I've seen more than a few custom fabricated kits lately so I don't think I'm alone. The STS is the cheapest C6 turbo kit that I know of but I think the OP had something like the Hinson single turbo kit in mind. It's $5k I think. Supercharger kit level cost. Although I haven't seen any real world C5's done yet. If it pans out to be relatively reliable and capable of big power and they come out with one for the C6 I would consider swapping. Lately I have been thinking about how much power is eaten by the blower via parasitic loss. And if I want to go for big, forged motor power it would take a bigger head unit, 8 rib, etc. and the more I spin a big head unit the more power I'm eating. The turbo is more efficient. It's more costly too though which is why lots of guys end up supercharging.

Edit: I just saw another thread with some good pics of the TTix kit and it looks pretty good. $10G's, but nice.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 09-04-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:12 PM
pbm.cc
Racer

Originally Posted by Sleeper09
I do not think you are going to be able to find a new turbo system or used for that matter for a vette anywhere near $1,500. Even for the fox body that seems way low, then again I have not done any research on mustang's turbo kits to know for sure.
He bought the kit from www.on3performance.com

$1,500
Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 PM
pbm.cc
Racer

This guy is the one runing 8's in the 1/4 with the kit... but like I said he upgraded the turbo and wastegage.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1165770
Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 PM
pbm.cc
Racer

Originally Posted by blaine123
Vette having a bigger engine is going to need a bigger turbo to feed the motor compared to a Fox Mustang. A good turbo alone will cost some $$. If you were a highly mechanically inclined person you in theory could build yourself your own kit for cheap, but the time it would take would far out weight the money saved.

There are at least 4 TT kits for Corvettes atm.

-LPE
-TTI
-STS
-APS

-10k is the cheapest... up to 40k for a complete kit.
Yeah, I am leaning towards the STS rear mount turbo kit... the cheapest I found it was for $7,800 new. So I think that is worth it... about the same price as a s/c.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
pbm.cc
Racer

Originally Posted by filmjay
Guys...I think he's talking about buying the cheap system for the parts(tubing, etc..) and upgrading the turbo and wastegate to quality pieices.

DIY is always cheaper. The more you can do, the less it will cost you. That $10K STS kit is fully bolt-on TWIN system with tuner.

The STS Universal kits are FAAAAR cheaper. But you've gotta have some fabrication skills....
bingo! my only problem is that I will not be able to do alot of the fabrications on the kit. Cant as I dont have someone to help me. I was looking for a kit that I can buy the better performance parts (turbos, Blowoff and wastegage) seperately but it seems that I will get the HKS twin rear mount. I havent seen any other one that is close in power and i like the look of it mounted in the rear.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:53 PM
turboffr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by pbm.cc

$1,500
that's a ridiculously great price for that kit. $1450 for the turbo + hot side + cold side. The Master power turbos make great power. I had one on my factory five cobra and it was awesome (hence my screen name)
Old 09-05-2010, 03:35 AM
blaine123
Pro

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I would love to step up to a turbo kit but I don't really like any of the ones that are out. APS, TTix, STS. I've seen more than a few custom fabricated kits lately so I don't think I'm alone. The STS is the cheapest C6 turbo kit that I know of but I think the OP had something like the Hinson single turbo kit in mind. It's $5k I think. Supercharger kit level cost. Although I haven't seen any real world C5's done yet. If it pans out to be relatively reliable and capable of big power and they come out with one for the C6 I would consider swapping. Lately I have been thinking about how much power is eaten by the blower via parasitic loss. And if I want to go for big, forged motor power it would take a bigger head unit, 8 rib, etc. and the more I spin a big head unit the more power I'm eating. The turbo is more efficient. It's more costly too though which is why lots of guys end up supercharging.

Edit: I just saw another thread with some good pics of the TTix kit and it looks pretty good. $10G's, but nice.
The squires kit for the Z06 is actually MORE expensive that the HP and the TTiX kit by about 3-5k. The HP C6 kit is actually around 9k, but after some research there is a reason for the price differences. Parts not included in some kits/better parts/....ect.

Last edited by blaine123; 09-05-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Yeah, I am leaning towards the STS rear mount turbo kit... the cheapest I found it was for $7,800 new. So I think that is worth it... about the same price as a s/c.
Not sure about that last statement. May be true about the Procharge kit, not sure what that runs but the A&A kit is $5200, ECS is $5500.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Sleeper09
Instructor

$1,500
Wow that is a killer price, I stand corrected.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:07 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Damn, you could buy a decent Mustang and put a turbo kit on it for less than the price of a Vette turbo kit.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Turbo Kits

Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 AM
blaine123
Pro

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater

Turbos are more efficient, but also don't forget the weight of the 4 miles of metal tubing your adding to the car.

*cons of a TT kit

-More heat
-less underhood/undercar room due to miles of piping.
-more parts that can go wrong
-turbo are not self sufficient (have to tap the oil pan)
-more weight
-cost more
-cost more to install

Superchargers are a simplistic system compared to a massive TT install.
Turbos are better, but at a cost.

For the price of a properly installed TT system you could get a SC kit installed with a built short block. TT don't pay out unless your wanting the fastest beast out there.... beyond reliable 1000 rwhp is all TT country.

Last edited by blaine123; 09-06-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blaine123
Turbos are more efficient, but also don't forget the weight of the 4 miles of metal tubing your adding to the car.

*cons of a TT kit

-More heat
-less underhood/undercar room due to miles of piping.
-more parts that can go wrong
-turbo are not self sufficient (have to tap the oil pan)
-more weight
-cost more
-cost more to install

Superchargers are a simplistic system compared to a massive TT install.
Turbos are better, but at a cost.

For the price of a properly installed TT system you could get a SC kit installed with a built short block. TT don't pay out unless your wanting the fastest beast out there.... beyond reliable 1000 rwhp is all TT country.
Not entirely true... Yes supercharger on stock engine is cheaper, but most add headers, so now cost is ~$6750+, then you forge engine, now add ~$1100 for 8-rib conversion... So now your at about $7850+ assuming A&A or ECS purchase more with Procharger. Then you may have to upgrade supercharger to get your desired numbers...

As a disclaimer I do have a supercharger, but if I really wanted crazy numbers, I would have started with TT for above reasons, but not STS.

Mike
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
pbm.cc
Racer

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Not entirely true... Yes supercharger on stock engine is cheaper, but most add headers, so now cost is ~$6750+, then you forge engine, now add ~$1100 for 8-rib conversion... So now your at about $7850+ assuming A&A or ECS purchase more with Procharger. Then you may have to upgrade supercharger to get your desired numbers...

As a disclaimer I do have a supercharger, but if I really wanted crazy numbers, I would have started with TT for above reasons, but not STS.

Mike
Yep... that is what I have always ran... S/C cars and it ends up being such a pain! Pulley's, Slippage, having to upgrade head units for desired power range, and in order for the S/C kits to actually payoff you will need the headers and the midpipe and 8 rib and such. You end up aying about the same as a Turbo kit. I will say for the rear mount there is alot of tubing, but not much more engine bay heat, as the turbos are on the rear and the hot side comes right out, the cold side has tubes all along the sides of our cars and into the intercooler then to the Tb, so on the STS kit I think heat is minimal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Turbo Kits