C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharger installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 PM
pbhaddox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger installation

xxxx

Last edited by pbhaddox; 12-17-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

That's one big reason I wanted the Edelbrock, I think there's much less modification to your base car. It's a very clean install.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pbhaddox
After watching my friend install a new supercharger on his C6 Corvette it is amazing how much hacking has to be done and alot of mickey mouse work. Cut and remove this, cut and remove that. remove the front grill plastic cut the top of the radiator in two spots. Move the powersteering cooler, relocte the horn, put a hole in the drain pan for oil. reroute other hoses and electrical. Cut the fender well. cut the front lower bumper. I don't know if i want to install one now after seeing what has to be done.

Uh oh!...now are you most certainly talking about a centri install Been there done that many times on other cars....one of the many reasons I chose the Edelbrock over a centri on my personal car.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I agree there are additional modifications to be done on a centri install. If it's done correctly, you'll never see it nor will anyone else. The E-Force is a cleaner install. It all depends on what you want from your SC and how you want to spend your money.

I have the Vortech kit from A&A and I'm very happy with it. The E-Force was not available when I made my decision to go FI.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I agree there are additional modifications to be done on a centri install. If it's done correctly, you'll never see it nor will anyone else. The E-Force is a cleaner install. It all depends on what you want from your SC and how you want to spend your money.

I have the Vortech kit from A&A and I'm very happy with it. The E-Force was not available when I made my decision to go FI.
If it's done correctly, you'll never know it was done as noted and pictured above...

I was going to put in my Dewitts radiator this weekend, and started removing things to gain access, and I noticed all of the cuts and grooves, etc that were hidden under stuff. Kinda frightning but hell, you'll never see the kind of power a centri makes with an e-force, period!

I shouldn't say never, but it's few and FAR between...
Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 AM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 81 Posts

I love the brutal honesty of a 3rd party who is an onlooker with out a biased opinion because of what they already purchased! Those are comments I've never heard before in this section, but does make sense..... I commend you for speaking your mind, but I hope you have your flame suit on

Just to ad insult to injury in this thread, did you get any detailed PICTURES during the install? Many on here never get a chance to the see the rough cuts that are required for a supercharger install like this.

I remember buying and having a complete pre-packaged model specific turbo system installed on a sports car (not a vette) back in the day and during the install I noticed the shop busted out a cutting torch to the unibody to complete the install around areas of the front core support!!!!!!! If I knew it was going to require all that hacking, I NEVER WOULD HAVE WENT THAT ROUTE!

Last edited by C6-LS2-MN6; 11-30-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:59 AM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-LS2-MN6
I love the brutal honesty of a 3rd party who is an onlooker with out a biased opinion because of what they already purchased! Those are comments I've never heard before in this section, but does make sense..... I commend you for speaking your mind, but I hope you have your flame suit on

Just to ad insult to injury in this thread, did you get any detailed PICTURES during the install? Many on here never get a chance to the see the rough cuts that are required for a supercharger install like this.

I remember buying and having a complete pre-packaged model specific turbo system installed on a sports car (not a vette) back in the day and during the install I noticed the shop busted out a cutting torch to the unibody to complete the install around areas of the front core support!!!!!!! If I knew it was going to require all that hacking, I NEVER WOULD HAVE WENT THAT ROUTE!
Don't worry I have a really good flame suit....

I don't think a few cuts on a Z06 is a big deal. REALLY? .. you believe such a HIGH production sports car will be a RARE Collectors???? I don't think so. Not in our lifetime or even in my kids lifetime.

I think the E force doesn't look very appealing under the hood. Its big cover hiding everything. Visually and performance wise the Centri wins hands down... If I was going to go the non Centri route.. I'd take a maggie.

If your worried about retaining factory look with a S/C.. get a ZR1.

My opinion which I formed LONG before I made my final decision on which S/C I would pick.

Reason: The Centri kits you can UPGRADE. (head units/BOV/Intercoolers/Wastegate... yes wastegate can work with a centri...) E force... I don't think so. Your stuck.

But truth of the matter really is... you can't go wrong with any of the kits. Your going to get more performance than the AVERAGE driver will every be able to use on the street. More S/C and Turbo kits available the better. More options. More kits to suit your personal needs. Not everyone is going to like just one kit or the same thing.

Whichever kit you pick.. enjoy.

Last edited by blaine123; 11-30-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blaine123
Reason: The Centri kits you can UPGRADE. (head units/BOV/Intercoolers/Wastegate... yes wastegate can work with a centri...) E force... I don't think so. Your stuck.
Not sure what you are using for the basis for the "your stuck" statement. You should have done a little homework before making that claim. Smaller pulleys/more boost, larger injectors and cooling options with more capacity are all on the table if a guy wanted to go there. Take a quick look at the Edelbrock #1592 kit for example. It's a tuner kit designed specifically for guys who want to customize beyond the two complete kits Edelbrock offers for the LS3.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 AM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Not sure what you are using for the basis for the "your stuck" statement. You should have done a little homework before making that claim. Smaller pulleys/more boost, larger injectors and cooling options with more capacity are all on the table if a guy wanted to go there. Take a quick look at the Edelbrock #1592 kit for example. It's a tuner kit designed specifically for guys who want to customize beyond the two complete kits Edelbrock offers for the LS3.
Your right you don't have to stick with the base kit.. and you can get A TON of power out of this kit I'm sure, but it has limits.

I've had many superchargers and turbos.....from Vortech to Kenne Bell..... I know the differences.

Your stuck because you can spin the s/c as fast as you please with a smaller pulley, but your generating 10X more heat and your losing efficiency. Just look at the heat exchanger with the kit... its not what you call BIG to compensate for more heat. With the E force you must swap out the entire system if you ever want anything above 800 hp. Same applies to the ZR1's supercharger you can ONLY spin the ZR1 supercharger so much before your out of the efficiency range which is the point where you will need to replace the unit to a bigger supercharger.

With Vortech for example you can go from SI Trim to T Trim to YSI trim depending on your HP goals.

The eforce isn't a SUPER eaton with a efficiency range of 500-1000HP..... not possible. BUt who knows... maybe they'll offer a larger race unit in the future.

Last edited by blaine123; 11-30-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by pbhaddox
After watching my friend install a new supercharger on his C6 Corvette it is amazing how much hacking has to be done and alot of mickey mouse work. Cut and remove this, cut and remove that. remove the front grill plastic cut the top of the radiator in two spots. Move the powersteering cooler, relocte the horn, put a hole in the drain pan for oil. reroute other hoses and electrical. Cut the fender well. cut the front lower bumper. I don't know if i want to install one now after seeing what has to be done.
I installed my ProCharger in my garage and had zero issues. Sounds like your friend may have purchased the "wrong" system.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 AM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your right you don't have to stick with the base kit.. and you can get A TON of power out of this kit I'm sure, but it has limits.

I've had many superchargers and turbos.....from Vortech to Kenne Bell..... I know the differences.

Your stuck because you can spin the s/c as fast as you please with a smaller pulley, but your generating 10X more heat and your losing efficiency. Just look at the heat exchanger with the kit... its not what you call BIG to compensate for more heat. With the E force you must swap out the entire system if you ever want anything above 800 hp. Same applies to the ZR1's supercharger you can ONLY spin the ZR1 supercharger so much before your out of the efficiency range which is the point where you will need to replace the unit to a bigger supercharger.

With Vortech for example you can go from SI Trim to T Trim to YSI trim depending on your HP goals.

The eforce isn't a SUPER eaton with a efficiency range of 500-1000HP..... not possible. BUt who knows... maybe they'll offer a larger race unit in the future.
Another apples and oranges argument. The E-Force was not designed to get crazy HP 800-1000+ numbers. Everyone here gets hung-up on HP numbers like boys in a gym locker room as to which one has the biggest .

The E-Force system is a consumer friendly, weekend install and emissions friendly system. It's a one-stop-shop, large HP/TQ gainer without all the fuss of a centri or the fear of a Nitrous system. It also fits under the stock hood which other PDs do not.

If you're Joe Drag Race and are constantly trying ways to squeeze out max HP/TQ , then the E-Force is probably not for you. If you want a relatively easy install of 150 reliable hp with a great torque curve for a daily driver....you really can't beat it.

I personally don't care for the centri look, which to me looks like what it is.....an add-on. I like the OEM look which the E-Force provides. No, I'm not crazy about the "supercharger" script on the coil covers but it's still a clean looking installation all the same imho. To each his own I guess.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I chimed in not to start a roots vs centri war but to let the OP know that if he was considering a centri to not let the additional modifications sway his decision.

Motorhead-47 and I both did our installs in a garage with hand tools and we helped each other on the installs. I originally planned to get a maggie but did not want to swap hoods as there were none I liked the looks of. The centri was my only other option. If I were doing an install today, I would go with an E-Force.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are worried about having to "mod" your car, to "mod" your car, do yourself a favor and leave it stock...
Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 AM
VetteNGT500
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, lots of S/C talk on here lately, bottom-line, do your homework and buy the kit that works for you, and has the HP/upgradability features you want/need, I have my E-Force sitting in the garage and cannot wait to install it, I know the reasons I bought that particular kit over other kits, and it was the one that worked for me, bottom-line, more HP = more fun. come on guys, can't we all just get along... lol

Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 AM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I chimed in not to start a roots vs centri war but to let the OP know that if he was considering a centri to not let the additional modifications sway his decision.

Motorhead-47 and I both did our installs in a garage with hand tools and we helped each other on the installs. I originally planned to get a maggie but did not want to swap hoods as there were none I liked the looks of. The centri was my only other option. If I were doing an install today, I would go with an E-Force.
I completely understand ....I was in the market for a S/C a few years ago for my C5 FRC but never pulled the trigger and traded it in on my wife's Escalade. Back when I was contemplating that S/C, centris (ProCharger, ect) were the only logical game in town. Now that products like the E-Force are out (or soon will be), the options are greater and it really depends on what you want.

As far as being afraid to mod.....that has never stopped me before
(about 20 years ago)....

... but cutting into a 80 thousand dollar car can be a little intimidating nowadays
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

. With the E force you must swap out the entire system if you ever want anything above 800 hp.
Still not sure where you are trying to go with this. If you are trying to imply that you can go from 500 to 800hp with a simple centri head unit swap you have obviously never been there. At best, you'll be able to salvage maybe the mounting bracket and the intercooler. You'd need larger fuel injectors, a much more capable fuel system, better engine cooling, throw away the 6 rib pulley setup for an 8 rib, you'll need a better clutch or a complete built A6 transmission, and a built rear end to handle the power. You are now squarely in drag radial territory if you have any hope of putting that level of power to the ground. It's an entirely different build...not an upgrade! Forgot to mention your stock bottom end wouldn't last long at 800hp either.

I gotta raise the flag on this one.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You have to pay to play. Even an intake install on a Vette generally requires trimming the radiator shroud. Whenever you add a power adder to a car that didn't originally come with one, you're going to have to make modifications. Generally the better-designed kits keep the hacking to a minimum, but its a given something will have to be modified.

If you don't want to cut anything either leave it stock or find an option that doesn't require it. Its all about what you want to do, completely up to the owner.

Get notified of new replies

To supercharger installation

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Not a fan of roots style blowers, but they have their market and are successful.

Love my D1, and any future blowers would be centris.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:32 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Still not sure where you are trying to go with this. If you are trying to imply that you can go from 500 to 800hp with a simple centri head unit swap you have obviously never been there. At best, you'll be able to salvage maybe the mounting bracket and the intercooler. You'd need larger fuel injectors, a much more capable fuel system, better engine cooling, throw away the 6 rib pulley setup for an 8 rib, you'll need a better clutch or a complete built A6 transmission, and a built rear end to handle the power. You are now squarely in drag radial territory if you have any hope of putting that level of power to the ground. It's an entirely different build...not an upgrade! Forgot to mention your stock bottom end wouldn't last long at 800hp either.

Its no 800 but the ECS kit seems to be good for around 700 with the addition of an alky kit and restriction plate removal.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Short of the ZR1 motor, you're probably going to have a forged setup with any of your other options if you want to hit 800+ hp. Having said that, the D1, T-Trim, YSI, F1, and ECS Paxton blowers will all do it without requiring you to change superchargers. Which helps cut the costs down a little bit. Also, if you have the Flip-drive, you don't need to go to 8-10 rib if you want to run 14-20psi.

Quick Reply: supercharger installation