C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racelogic - From the Horse's Mouth

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Racelogic - From the Horse's Mouth

I've never been able to find a reason why no one has fitted a vette with the Racelogic traction system. I've heard rumors that you have to swap out the hubs, ABS is incompatible, etc. I've only found one short youtube video of a blown vette using it across the pond:

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DQzwziIJaAIM&sa=U&ei=6lH-TPaHJdGcnwesxPDOCQ&ved=0CBsQtwIwAw&usg=A FQjCNHY7eaim69urYihx9djC1WN_jYxgA

I wrote them last night to see what the deal was and got this response in short order:

Thank you for your enquiry.

The ABS ECU on the Corvette does get slightly upset by the load being put on it when you connect the wheel speed signal wires for the traction system – an ABS warning lamp is illuminated when the car reaches about 75mph. However, it’s easily remedied by fitting 10k resistors in line on the connection.

Other than this there are no compatibility issues and RLTC works well on these cars.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Regards,

Mike Broadbent,
Sales Manager.

So it looks to me like the RLTC8DIAW is what we'd need. It would require splicing into every injector and each wheel speed sensor (with resistors in line). It is pricey at 850# or ~$1350 and you may as well spend the extra 100# for the full throttle shift.

So there, it's doable. Someone do it already.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 12-07-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Best thread about it was here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...trol-unit.html

Before it got locked for bringing an old thread to life.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:12 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know LG was working on it some time ago, but it never went anywhere. I called them and asked about it and they said they were just busy with other projects but would finish it some time.
Someone else also started a project with it but that too never went anywhere.

My understanding is that the wheel speed sensor signal from the Corvette does NOT work with the Racelogic system and that new hubs would have to be fitted to the car. I've heard this from both LG and from a friend who e-mailed Racelogic.

I'm very interested in the system but don't feel like being the guy who braves new ground trying this out on his DD...
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reading RL's response it seams as though there is a input impedance mismatch when working GM ABS. Did read installation guide and values appear correct for VR sensors, maybe they use older type input signal conditioning.

I someone really wanted to use this unit I'm sure some form VR signal isolation is possible. Another potential issue is what kind of input Hz can unit handle as C6 hubs have a high pulses per revolution count.

Mike
Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Best thread about it was here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...trol-unit.html

Before it got locked for bringing an old thread to life.
What did you think of this response by ED? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1567688614-post4.html

BJK
Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I don't like it. Boost by gear is not dyanmic enough to work reliably in all conditions. I am in the process of throwing more/better rubber at my problem but even then, an advanced form of traction control like the Racelogic would theoretically put down as much power as whatever tires I have are capable of on whatever surface they are on, at launch, straight line and even in turns. Road temps change, starts raining, change my tires, doesn't matter. Like Sam though, I don't want to drop $1500-$2k and be the guinea pig.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 PM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like it. Boost by gear is not dyanmic enough to work reliably in all conditions. I am in the process of throwing more/better rubber at my problem but even then, an advanced form of traction control like the Racelogic would theoretically put down as much power as whatever tires I have are capable of on whatever surface they are on, at launch, straight line and even in turns. Road temps change, starts raining, change my tires, doesn't matter. Like Sam though, I don't want to drop $1500-$2k and be the guinea pig.

Are you running meth injection Bill?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Yessir. Not sure I see where you're going with this though.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Crap, I get it. Fuel is cut, meth is not, lean condition induced, boom.

Scratch that idea I guess.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

i'm confused... Horse? or mexican donkey?

im just sayin
Old 12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Weak sauce.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor@DallasPerformance
ding, ding, ding...

come on now Bill, you really think it hasn't SERIOUSLY been looked at???
Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Weak sauce.
Bring it old man
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Taylor:

I don't think that makes much of a difference... On my car for example, I run dual 10lbs/hr nozzles, at 120PSI with a digital progressive controller; same basic setup most people here run. At my power level (680RWHP) the methanol accounts for 9 - 10% at most of my overall fuel charge. The methanol is coming in at 20 pounds per hour, but there are eight 60lbs/hr fuel injectors there too and they are going at 90% duty cycle...
That means when fuel cut happens, my air/fuel ratio is over 100:1. That is not an igniteable mixture (anything over about 19:1 starts to produce a lean misfire), and even if it could ignite, it wouldn't release enough energy to do anything.
Unless I am missing something here? See below:

Crap, I get it. Fuel is cut, meth is not, lean condition induced, boom.
If that was true we'd all be blowing up when we hit our rev limiters... I've hit mine many times and I've seen the car hit it on the dyno too with no issues. The only thing you see is that some times it will shoot a fireball from the exhaust if enough methanol accumulates in the pipes.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Yessir. Not sure I see where you're going with this though.
a friend of mine had this installed on his Z06 since more than two years ago, and it worked WONDERS.

I remember we used to go around a round-about at FULL THROTTLE for like 3 or 4 complete turns LOL and the car would stay on its lane.

You had to tune the traction control unit as well, and choose slip in percentage for straight vs after the wheels turn xx angle before it switches to another value.

like 10% slip straight line, and 0% slip in a circle.

Also its worth mentioning the guy raced his Z06 the entire time on the track and drove it as a DD with the unit.

I might be able to help you out if you are serious about this, problem is this dude doesnt like to help for free
Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 PM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Taylor:

If that was true we'd all be blowing up when we hit our rev limiters... I've hit mine many times and I've seen the car hit it on the dyno too with no issues. The only thing you see is that some times it will shoot a fireball from the exhaust if enough methanol accumulates in the pipes.

Sounds like you will be the perfect guinna pig then

You absolutly can blow the motor by bouncing off the rev limiter with methanol. This is different for each combo based on how much methanol you are using.

Do me a favor and hold your car on the limiter for 30 seconds and see how long it lasts

As one of the few people on this board that has actually installed and calibrated a few RaceLogic boxes on other platforms I can tell you that it goes through a series of 5 levels/stages of fuel cuts. You can configure it a million ways and you will be at risk of hurting the engine if you are using methanol.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:31 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Sounds like you will be the perfect guinna pig then

You absolutly can blow the motor by bouncing off the rev limiter with methanol. This is different for each combo based on how much methanol you are using.

Do me a favor and hold your car on the limiter for 30 seconds and see how long it lasts
Sure Taylor, I will do it provided you take one of your shop cars making a similar power number with no meth and hold that at the same rev limiter for 30 seconds first We can set a date and if your non meth car bounces redline for 30 seconds and stays in one piece I'll go next

As one of the few people on this board that has actually installed and calibrated a few RaceLogic boxes on other platforms I can tell you that it goes through a series of 5 levels/stages of fuel cuts. You can configure it a million ways and you will be at risk of hurting the engine if you are using methanol.
I won't argue with this, because there is a much more important question to be asked: the vast majority of corvettes, including all the FI ones are not running methanol injection: Callaway, Lingenfelter, Edelbrock and Magnacharger are all using the TVS 2300 which has coated rotors and won't allow it, A&A sells more centrifugal kits than anyone else (over 1000 by last year if memory serves me right) and they don't install meth either: Racelogic would still be a fantastic solution for 90% + of the people here who aren't running methanol, so the market is obviously there. Not to mention most FI cars are not running R-Comp tires to begin with, so even people at moderate power levels could use something like this..

Last edited by PowerLabs; 12-08-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Racelogic - From the Horse's Mouth

Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Not to mention most FI cars are not running R-Comp tires to begin with, so even people at moderate power levels could use something like this..
This could be the PERFECT solution for me wanting to run R compound tires, but have already spent 6k on 19/20" set of rims.

Until this very second, I've had two choices: Deal with no traction and a lot of HP, or drop another 6k on a custom set of 18/19" rims that can fit a sticky tire.

Though this sounds like an extremely specialty item that not just anyone can get right...

My car is going to Andy's shop here in the next few weeks for some new goodies, and I'd REALLY like to have anything and everything done while it's in California. The local guys can barely get the custom tune right, let alone deal with boost by gear issues...

Old 12-09-2010, 09:01 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
come on now Bill, you really think it hasn't SERIOUSLY been looked at???
I kind of did, yea. It sounds like it is the bee's knees but hardly anyone is using it. There's probably a reason for that.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
backchannel
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can configure it a million ways and you will be at risk of hurting the engine if you are using methanol.[/QUOTE]

Do you feel methanol triggered by idc would not have this problem and it would then be a good traction system?

Quick Reply: Racelogic - From the Horse's Mouth