C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing Belts - Maggie vs Centri

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:28 PM
csnow
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Throwing Belts - Maggie vs Centri

I am just curious if the maggie SC has the same propensity to throw belts like the centri SC. I know alignment is key but overall, which has less issues.

Last edited by csnow; 03-08-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's properly aligned the centri shouldn't throw belts. Mine went 9k without throwing a belt, though the A/C belt did snap once.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:51 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never seen a belt get thrown in 45K supercharged miles, but I saw one jump ribs before; the pulley was misaligned.
This was on a centri.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM
csnow
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by simplyphp
If it's properly aligned the centri shouldn't throw belts. Mine went 9k without throwing a belt, though the A/C belt did snap once.
Yours throws rods, not belts....lol

When I was first looking to go SC, the installer advised that one of the drawbacks of SC vs NA was belts (long trips and the possibility of getting stranded). He was pushing me toward SC but I was just nervous of going SC on a stock bottom end so I went H/C/I to start with. I keep toying with the idea of a SC, but I need to get a built 402 bottom end before I go down that road.

Last edited by csnow; 03-08-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by csnow
Yours throws rods, not belts
My s/c didn't throw the rods, my stock LS2 did

Honestly I think it may have happened sooner with a heat pump on my engine vs. the centri. The temps would've been higher for longer, more stress earlier on and I just can't see it outlasting the centri.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

When I was first looking to go SC, the installer advised that one of the drawbacks of SC vs NA was belts (long trips and the possibility of getting stranded). He was pushing me toward SC but I was just nervous of going SC on a stock bottom end so I went H/C/I to start with. I keep toying with the idea of a SC, but I need to get a built 402 bottom end before I go down that road.
If your serpentine belt breaks on a long trip NA, you're still stranded Not exactly something that only the supercharger affects.

Some people advise it's cheaper to get another stock block instead of building a block up, so they'd recommend you drive your current engine into the ground, then when it does put another stock block in and repeat the process for as long as you've got the car. 3 years@10k miles a year, assuming each stock engine lasts 30k miles, I think you'd spend about the same for 2 more stock engines vs. 1 built engine. If a built engine lasts 6yr/60k miles, and stock last 30k each.. no difference. But then there's the issues like I had, where it lasted 9k supercharged miles. In that case, sure it probably was a premature failure and should've lasted longer, but to me I'd rather pony up a bit now to build it up, and try not to drive the **** out of it and try not to be as stupid as I was before. I ain't saying I'll drive like grandpa (no offense ol' farts ), but I'm not going to do 185mph+ runs anymore either or act like every time the light turns green, it's my queue to race to 100 .
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I have over 100K on several different Maggies. One did throw a belt when the blower pulley was put on a$$ backwards (misaligned big time). Other than that, no belt troubles. I fail to see what the alleged high IAT's have to do with belt wear.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

I have 30,000 on my 06 C6 with a maggie & 4,000 on my 10 GS with a maggie. No problems whatsoever including throwing of belts( course Lingenfelter did the installs, so you know it was done right)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
aTX427
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

throwing belts is not an issue with the C6 kits unless it's misaligned.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:49 AM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming you carry a spare belt and the proper hand tools can the belts on a centri or Edelbrock supercharger be replaced with reasonable effort if the worst happens on a road trip?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco 08
Assuming you carry a spare belt and the proper hand tools can the belts on a centri or Edelbrock supercharger be replaced with reasonable effort if the worst happens on a road trip?

Thanks.
I don't know about Edelbrock but there is no way I could change a belt without lifting the front end.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by simplyphp
If it's properly aligned the centri shouldn't throw belts.
Originally Posted by aTX427
throwing belts is not an issue with the C6 kits unless it's misaligned.
Especially when using an HPE Flip Drive from Cartek.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco 08

Thanks.
Yes to the Edelbrock...about the same level of effort as changing the belt on a stock car. The Edelbrock uses a spring loaded tensioner...one wrench is all that is needed to unload the tensioner. The Edelbrock belt is a common 6 rib that is 101.5 inches long..."061015" will be in the belt part number. Everywhere I checked stocked that belt.

Supercharger belts lead a hard life..probably wouldn't hurt to change it once a year anyhow. Belts come in different grades/qualities..don't go cheap and put the old belt in the car for a "just in case" spare.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Yes to the Edelbrock...about the same level of effort as changing the belt on a stock car. The Edelbrock uses a spring loaded tensioner...one wrench is all that is needed to unload the tensioner. The Edelbrock belt is a common 6 rib that is 101.5 inches long..."061015" will be in the belt part number. Everywhere I checked stocked that belt.

Supercharger belts lead a hard life..probably wouldn't hurt to change it once a year anyhow. Belts come in different grades/qualities..don't go cheap and put the old belt in the car for a "just in case" spare.
Can you actually get the belt around the crank pulley without going underneath the car? I just put a centri belt back on after polishing the alternator bracket and I could barely get my arm in to put the belt back around the water pump pulley.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Can you actually get the belt around the crank pulley without going underneath the car? I just put a centri belt back on after polishing the alternator bracket and I could barely get my arm in to put the belt back around the water pump pulley.
If you have some skills, and a flashlight, a coathanger with a flat 90 bend on the end can help string that belt around the balancer and thru the other areas. Also, if you trim a bit of head thickness off of the one water pump bolt that is across from the idler pulley on an A&A kit, you can change the belt without removing the blower. (gotta remove the one slotted pulley deal and one bolt/spacer though)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

The belt life will be greatly influenced by load/boost.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Especially when using an HPE Flip Drive from Cartek.
For sure. I can change a belt in less than 5 minutes using basic hand tool if/when necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To Throwing Belts - Maggie vs Centri

Old 03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Have the M-82 on the Saturn Sky cranking out the revs at 16 psi with 390 gears and its been on there for almost 2 years now. Same belt with zero problems. Gaterback belts are what most run on the maggies. Can't help you on the A&A but I would guess they are running the same. 112 on the vette and other than the first week wiping off the hood she's running fine..
Don't let the fear of a belt stop you. Just make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing on the install.

Last edited by liveaboard74; 03-10-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
If you have some skills, and a flashlight, a coathanger with a flat 90 bend on the end can help string that belt around the balancer and thru the other areas. Also, if you trim a bit of head thickness off of the one water pump bolt that is across from the idler pulley on an A&A kit, you can change the belt without removing the blower. (gotta remove the one slotted pulley deal and one bolt/spacer though)
On the ECS kit I have nothing has to be removed but I can't get my arm under the air dam and it takes some effort to get the belt between the balancer and tensioner.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
On the ECS kit I have nothing has to be removed but I can't get my arm under the air dam and it takes some effort to get the belt between the balancer and tensioner.
That is yet another advantage to the ECS kit being that a belt can be installed in minutes without disassembling anything, and we have recently changed out our tensioner body to have a 3/8s drive hole in it so the entire job can be done without lifting the car up at all. However, I personally like that you do not run into belt problems in the first place!

Quick Reply: Throwing Belts - Maggie vs Centri