C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done "just nos" on an mn6 ls3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Has anyone done "just nos" on an mn6 ls3?

In the 4 years that I have owned LS3 vettes, I've only "needed" more HP a couple times. Soooo, nitrous would sound like a good option to consider. (Still looking at supercharging or turbo, but I think this is a lot simpler and less expensive, if you don't use it much).

I have a 2011 MN6 Grand Sport, with the F55 suspension (which means I have the Goodyear Gen2 tires). They stick decent, so I plan on keeping them for now.

Here's my thinking for my "nitrous" system, but I don't know if it is out there.

I want to find a "complete deluxe nitrous kit" that has everything that I need to install a safe/reliable system, that would give me about a 150 shot (or whatever shot the nitrous experts say is safe for a stock LS3). I might want to install everything myself, then take it to an "experienced" tuner before I use it. Or, I may have a shop do everything.

A wet system is probably what I should get, but the nitrous experts should help me here too.

I would love to be able to set up the NOS so that it could be programmable to only work in certain gears (like 3rd and up), and also be programmable to boost between certain RPMs (like 3500 to 6000 as an example). Engine reliability is my biggest concern, because this is my daily driver. And, I like gadgets. I could probably even start with a canned tune, if I put on everything myself, until I could drive it to the tuner (or just leave it turned off?)

I also need to find where to buy the gas, because I'll probably go through a couple 10lb bottles playing, but then only a bottle every 6 months or so.

Am I asking for too much?

Sooooo, has anyone done "just nitrous" on an LS3 MN6, and what are your thoughts? Likes/dislikes? Would you do anything different?

Last edited by Seadawg; 05-25-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

That's exactly what I was looking to do, and I think it's one of the best options for adding power but keeping the 'stock' driveability and reliability of the car. When the nitrous is off, it drives just like stock... if you want the extra power, you can just spray it once in a while.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok guys everything you asked for is out there although I don't have it in my vette but it is a very cheap and wise way, call NX Nitrous Express and explain to them what you want to do and they will sell you a programable kit, the window switch will allow the nitrous to spray within RPM, its a safe way which I use in my Viper.
I have been spraying a 150 shot in my Viper from the day I bought it and its still work very well with the window switch but my brother bought a programable kit for his SRT8 which allows him to program it as to when he want it to spary and how much he need.
You can also call summit Racing and a tech will advice you of the kit you need, the LS3 vette can take up to 200 shot stock, I had 300 shot on my stock LS1 and never hurt my stock motor, but I had 150 shot on a first stage and another 150 on a second stage which had made it safe. I am not saying you guys will need that amount but a 150 shot is very safe for a stock LS3 MN6.
There will be better result if the headers and air intake are changed.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I would love to help you, but it's "nitrous". NOS is a brand and a term people use when they don't know what they're talking about.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

The term is "NAWS".

Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I don't know of a kit that will contain all that you want. At 150 you can get away with a single stage wet kit. Then you will need a bottle heater, bottle opener and window switch or controller to do the fancier stuff. You may also want a boost-a-pump or something to make sure you can maintain fuel pressure. Maybe the nitrous guys will chime in with a more complete kit but AFAIK you just have to but these things separately.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
The term is "NAWS".

I would not go any higher then a 150 hit.... I almost fell out of my chair when I read the line about a 300 hit on a stock LS1... Nitrous is safe is used in moderation and is tuned properly. If its not, your pistons will be trash very quickly.

All in all though, nitrous is still my favorite power adder. It allows you to drive a very tame car all the time and then still mean business when it has to. AND..it can be hidden VERY well....

One of the plate systems from Nitrous outlet would be your best bet.

Last edited by breecher_7; 05-17-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7

I would not go any higher then a 150 hit.... I almost fell out of my chair when I read the line about a 300 hit on a stock LS1... Nitrous is safe is used in moderation and is tuned properly. If its not, your pistons will be trash very quickly.

All in all though, nitrous is still my favorite power adder. It allows you to drive a very tame car all the time and then still mean business when it has to. AND..it can be hidden VERY well....

One of the plate systems from Nitrous outlet would be your best bet.
Nitrous is for people who knows about it, if you're a learner then follow the instruction of a tuner who will advice you to only use 150 shots, they will say all the stuff about how dangerous it is when you use too much but I can tell anyone, a stock vette handles the nitrous better than any modified vette and when the calibration is done correct, well that is a different story.(correct means you got to get a wideband to determind the calibration, must not use the jets recomended because it is rich for safety measures)
I had 2 stages on my stock C5 and get sacked out of Englishtown in the year 2000 for going too fast without safety compliances, my 1997 vette went 10.60 on a stock LS1 motor on spray, yes 300hp spray and never hurt my motor.
The motor with the weaka$$ piston can take the spray but it have to go in by stages, almost any motor can take it when it is in motion and RPM over 3k, I have learn not to listen to the inexperience people who talk all the crap they heard, but it also takes a man who are willing to risk his motor to know its capabilities, today I know better and is always willing to do it if I need to, I have been spraying my stock Viper since I bought it and it has never had an issue, it did went a 10.61et in the presents of a few vette owners at the DC rental.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
Nitrous is for people who knows about it, if you're a learner then follow the instruction of a tuner who will advice you to only use 150 shots, they will say all the stuff about how dangerous it is when you use too much but I can tell anyone, a stock vette handles the nitrous better than any modified vette and when the calibration is done correct, well that is a different story.(correct means you got to get a wideband to determind the calibration, must not use the jets recomended because it is rich for safety measures)
I had 2 stages on my stock C5 and get sacked out of Englishtown in the year 2000 for going too fast without safety compliances, my 1997 vette went 10.60 on a stock LS1 motor on spray, yes 300hp spray and never hurt my motor.
The motor with the weaka$$ piston can take the spray but it have to go in by stages, almost any motor can take it when it is in motion and RPM over 3k, I have learn not to listen to the inexperience people who talk all the crap they heard, but it also takes a man who are willing to risk his motor to know its capabilities, today I know better and is always willing to do it if I need to, I have been spraying my stock Viper since I bought it and it has never had an issue, it did went a 10.61et in the presents of a few vette owners at the DC rental.
I am very well aware of how nitrous works.. But even a two stage system with a 300hit (two 150 jets) is ALOT of spray for stock pistons and stock rings. Nitrous is VERY hard on rings. You were dancing with the devil on that one. Ive never seen a stock LS engine survive any amount of time with a 300 hit on it, thats alot of juice no matter how you squeeze it!

I still believe that 150 is a solid safe answer.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
I would love to help you, but it's "nitrous". NOS is a brand and a term people use when they don't know what they're talking about.
Thank you.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

You said it perfectly. That's why I'm posting out here, and I don't mind taking some abuse, to learn from the ones that have "been there and done that".

I grew up under car hoods (my dad was a GM mechanic), and paid my way through college working on engines, but I've never installed a nitrous system.

So keep the good info coming, I appreciate the help, feedback and opinions.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Ok then I'll have to ask what your goals are? If you want it to only work from 3rd and up that tells me you're doing 70 rolls. 3rd gear and up won't help you shave much off the 1/4 compared to having it in 1st & 2nd.

There are progressive controllers out there so the shot starts off at say a 75 shot and then increases to 150 over time. I would honestly just run a 150 shot and decide if a controller is necessary after a few runs as 150 isn't that big of a hit.

You'll be needing a window switch to keep it spraying in the 3k - 6800rpm range. The kit will also be setup to run of WOT signal so it won't spray unless you have your foot on the floor.

You'll also need a bottle heater or for a really nice setup a nano kit. Your bottle becomes almost ineffectual when pressure is below 600psi and those options will keep the pressure up for you.

I also recommend a colder spark plug when running nitrous. Something like a NGK TR6. I heard some guys having problems with that plug in a C6 so you may have to go with the Autolight equivalent in heat range. Stay away from Platinum plugs.

Let me know what else you would like to know.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:05 PM
camaross621
Pro

if you only needed nitrous a few times to win.. you need to start racing faster cars
Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Ok then I'll have to ask what your goals are? If you want it to only work from 3rd and up that tells me you're doing 70 rolls.
Yea, here are my goals:

1.) To have a basically "stock" LS3 vette that "if" I want to punch it from say 70 - 150 mph, I'll have a lot more oommph than I have with the 436 ponies of today. I don't track the car, just want more street power a few times a year.

2.) To have all the necessary "goodies" to make it safe and reliable (like the guages and switches and controllers you guys are recommending).

3.) Prefer to buy as much as possible as a "kit", but it's OK to add other extras as recommended by the "been there, done that" guys.

4.) I really hope I can find a similar car that has been modded this way, so that I can learn specifically from them. It's OK to compare mounting locations, etc. from any setup, but I prefer not to be the test subject and spend a lot of time tuning. I want "plug and play" as much as practical.

Now, having said all that, once I get this and try it out, I'll probably be like you guys - get the power bug, add a blower, yada yada.......
Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 PM
0Larry @ AMS
Former Vendor

feel free to give me a call and we can talk over a setup to suit your needs
Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 PM
SB99NassauBM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

call my buddy clay at NX tell him billy sent u and he will hook u up on a kit
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Call a place like nitrous outlet and they can build you a "kit" with everything you want and would need.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone done "just nos" on an mn6 ls3?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
I am very well aware of how nitrous works.. But even a two stage system with a 300hit (two 150 jets) is ALOT of spray for stock pistons and stock rings. Nitrous is VERY hard on rings. You were dancing with the devil on that one. Ive never seen a stock LS engine survive any amount of time with a 300 hit on it, thats alot of juice no matter how you squeeze it!

I still believe that 150 is a solid safe answer.
what TRINIC5 said is true, he did it
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did I/E and tune and want to do nitrous as well. I asked my tuner what he thinks is a safe shot......

He said a 100 is where he would feel safe. He said the engine can handle 150, but when the nitrous hits it makes the engine run lean for split second...Thats what he is worried about and advised me to keep it at 100 or less.....

But as stated before everyones opinion on what is safe is different...

I think if you do full exhaust and intake that will make up for the extra 50hp and just spray a 100 shot.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
I just did I/E and tune and want to do nitrous as well. I asked my tuner what he thinks is a safe shot......

He said a 100 is where he would feel safe. He said the engine can handle 150, but when the nitrous hits it makes the engine run lean for split second...Thats what he is worried about and advised me to keep it at 100 or less.....

But as stated before everyones opinion on what is safe is different...

I think if you do full exhaust and intake that will make up for the extra 50hp and just spray a 100 shot.
Yea, I might even start out with a 50 shot, and use it to work all the bugs out, because reliability is by far the most important consideration to me. I'm surprised that there are not more nitrous systems on C6 vettes, I've done a LOT of googling to try to find them.

One of the guys on the forum has everything I probably need (and I know there are VERY reputable nitrous vendors that will help spec out a good setup), so I'll be back it touch with him (and the vendors), once I get my wife's health back under control.

Once I either go nitrous, supercharged or turbocharged, I'll keep good records of what I do, so that others can use it to build upon for them.

Last edited by Seadawg; 05-25-2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: add more info

Quick Reply: Has anyone done "just nos" on an mn6 ls3?