C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI with A6: not shifting properly at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Default FI with A6: not shifting properly at WOT

My '07 has a A&A Vortech SC making around 530 rwhp and my A6 won't auto shift from 2nd gear to 3rd at WOT without hitting the rev limiter. I was having the same problem on the 1-2 shift but my tuner lowered the shift point RPM as well as the shift point MPH and now the 1-2 shift is fine. He did the same thing on the 2-3 shift but so far it hasn't helped. I think he set it to shift at 6300 RPM but it still goes past that and hits the limiter. This issue happens in all modes, Drive and Sport (auto shift mode) and with TC turned on and off and in Comp mode as well as all nannies off mode. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, can you tell me what your RPM and MPH settings are for the 2-3 shift (with 2.56 gears)? Or, any other recommendations to resolve this issue? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 97 when I went FI. Turned out to be a mechanical issue with the transmission itself (something beyond my comprehension) I hope yours is not as deep of an issue.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 PM
RMS-MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say sounds like your A6 may already be hurt. If the tune changes didn't help the shifts it's most likely internal. Get a hold of Mike @ Century trans if you decide to get it re-built. He is a forum sponsor now I think.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
My '07 has a A&A Vortech SC making around 530 rwhp and my A6 won't auto shift from 2nd gear to 3rd at WOT without hitting the rev limiter. I was having the same problem on the 1-2 shift but my tuner lowered the shift point RPM as well as the shift point MPH and now the 1-2 shift is fine. He did the same thing on the 2-3 shift but so far it hasn't helped. I think he set it to shift at 6300 RPM but it still goes past that and hits the limiter. This issue happens in all modes, Drive and Sport (auto shift mode) and with TC turned on and off and in Comp mode as well as all nannies off mode. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, can you tell me what your RPM and MPH settings are for the 2-3 shift (with 2.56 gears)? Or, any other recommendations to resolve this issue? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
I'm not that far away from you up here in Brentwood so I may be able to help you out one weekend. Shoot me a PM and we can figure something out if you're interested.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys for your thoughts. Yeah, it could be an internal mechanical problem. I'm prepared to send it off to Century if it turns out to be the problem. I'm hopeful that it's just a tuning issue since it was also doing the same thing on the 1-2 shift and now it shifts to 2nd like it's supposed to after getting lucky on the tune changes.

Subfloor, you have a PM. Can you fit me in this week for a trans tune checkup?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM
TrenAman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the clutch pack is about to give out..
Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TrenAman
sounds like the clutch pack is about to give out..
If it was a clutch pack issue, wouldn't that also show up when shifting manually? I can keep it off the rev limiter in Sport mode when shifting at WOT manually. (I just can't shift it consistently that way since it revs about 500 rpm past the point when I paddle it).
Old 05-31-2011, 12:59 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was a clutch pack issue, wouldn't that also show up when shifting manually? I can keep it off the rev limiter in Sport mode when shifting at WOT manually. (I just can't shift it consistently that way since it revs about 500 rpm past the point when I paddle it).
when mine was going out, it shifted perfectly fine in manual mode, just wot in auto mode showed the signs.. give it a little more time, you will lost 3rd all together.. in fact your post describes exactly what happens when your packs start to go out..
Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Bushong572
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem with my A6. You might raise the rev limiter 2-300 rpms. Lingenfelter lowered the shift point rpm, shift mph (by 2-3 mph), and then increased the rev limiter 300 rpms. My A6 shifts well at WOT in all gears.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bushong572
I had the same problem with my A6. You might raise the rev limiter 2-300 rpms. Lingenfelter lowered the shift point rpm, shift mph (by 2-3 mph), and then increased the rev limiter 300 rpms. My A6 shifts well at WOT in all gears.
That sounds like an excellent idea to try. We did lower the shift point rpm and the shift mph by 2-3 mph but we didn't try raising the rev limiter rpm yet. I will talk to my tuner about giving that a try and will report if that cured the problem. If it doesn't cure it, I may be having to get a new clutch pack. I don't run drag radials or slicks so will be disappointed if the clutch pack has failed already.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Bushong572
Burning Brakes

Hopefully that will solve your problem.............

I would be suprised if your A6 needed rebuilding already (since you don't run "sticky" tires). Mine is still going strong after 4 years with 550 rwhp/520 rwtq in front of it.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

If you cant get it resolved easily, we can take care of that with our mail order tuning.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds like an excellent idea to try. We did lower the shift point rpm and the shift mph by 2-3 mph but we didn't try raising the rev limiter rpm yet. I will talk to my tuner about giving that a try and will report if that cured the problem. If it doesn't cure it, I may be having to get a new clutch pack. I don't run drag radials or slicks so will be disappointed if the clutch pack has failed already.
If it's just a case of the tune being off then this will fix it as I did the exact same thing to two F-body cars on Sunday at the track and they ended up finished 2nd and 3rd in the Sportsman class. Prior to that their cars would hit the rev-limiter every time making them almost impossible to dial in properly.

If however your clutches are in fact gone, I found out the hard way that no matter how high you raise the rev-limiter the engine will just keep going up and up and still won't shift.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and also give you an update in case it happens to anyone else with the A6. We found out that it was indeed a tuning issue and not the clutches. If I remember my tuner's comments correctly, the 3-2 down-shift mph setting was set higher than the up-shift mph setting which is a no-no. He changed that and now it shifts just like it should at WOT. He also turned Torque Management off and now it shifts quickly without the lag. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Le Mans Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Good info, looks like I need a re-tune as well.

Get notified of new replies

To FI with A6: not shifting properly at WOT

Quick Reply: FI with A6: not shifting properly at WOT