C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS9 oil cooler for LS2/3 blower cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Default LS9 oil cooler for LS2/3 blower cars?

I've been looking at the LS9 oil cooler, and am wondering if it would work on a standard LS3 car. I have an '08 Z51 car with an A&A system. I had to lose the Z51 air to air cooler and now have a Dewitts radiator with the trans and engine oil coolers built in.

Just want to know if the LS9 setup is more efficient than the cooler in the radiator, and where the coolant lines from the cooler tie in to the cooling system on the ZR1. Seems to be a nice solution for FI C6s that have limited space in the nose for coolers.

FWIW, Edelbrock is including the LS9 oil cooler in their Z06 E-Force. Good idea or not worth the trouble?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

FWIW the Camaro uses that same cooler and the Z06 went to it last year. It bolts to the block at the same location your Z51 oil cooler lines mounted to. The water lines are tied in at the front freeze plug on the driver's side and a Tee fitting in the radiator hose.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Seems to work pretty good on the ZR1. As I understand, the ZR1(and the newer Z06) oil pans have mouting provisions for this cooler. To use it on a wet sump engine, you will have to fabricate some mounting brackets.

Of course, with this oil cooler, you will add additional load on your radiator, as the engine coolant also cools the oil. You might want to consider the oil coolers that mount in place of the fog lights.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
FWIW the Camaro uses that same cooler and the Z06 went to it last year. It bolts to the block at the same location your Z51 oil cooler lines mounted to. The water lines are tied in at the front freeze plug on the driver's side and a Tee fitting in the radiator hose.

I read the Edelbrock Z06 install instructions and saw the fitting that goes in the block as well as the radiator hose tee fitting. How is it installed in the ZR1? Special upper radiator hose maybe? I could source parts from Edelbrock if needed I'm sure.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Seems to work pretty good on the ZR1. As I understand, the ZR1(and the newer Z06) oil pans have mouting provisions for this cooler. To use it on a wet sump engine, you will have to fabricate some mounting brackets.

Of course, with this oil cooler, you will add additional load on your radiator, as the engine coolant also cools the oil. You might want to consider the oil coolers that mount in place of the fog lights.

My understanding was that it bolts up to the stock oil line mounting location. Are you saying there are additional support points that a wet sump pan will not work with?

And I don't like the idea of running aftermarket AN cooler lines around the car. Just not my style. I like the factory engineered look and approach to the problem. Plus, I am already using the coolant to cool my oil via my Dewitts radiator. Just thought the ZR1 setup could be more efficient.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Wait a minute - if it is used in the Camaro, then it must be adaptable to a wet-sump LS3, right?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It's not a dry sump/wet sump issue. It's whether your oil pan has the mounting bosses for the cooler.

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 08-27-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

That appears to be the case with the factory installed coolers. The good news is that Edelbrock makes a bracket to install the LS9 cooler onto early LS7s and dry-sump LS3s. It bolts to the oil pan rail, and I'm assuming it should work on a standard LS3.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree...should bolt right up to the LS3

Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

I don't understand this statement, what is additional load?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:26 PM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The ZR1 cooler is inadequate unless you have a big radiator, and keep coolant temps below 200. At 260 water temps, oil temp is 280+

The camaro cooler is smaller, and the coolant block is rotated 90* from the ZR1. I would not use the Camaro cooler unless it was your only option.

With EITHER of those coolers, you will need to tap back into the radiator, or coolant return hose from the top of the radiator. It pulls coolant from the side of the block, and returns it to the left radiator tank.

Trini, what he is saying, is that the BTUs must come from somewhere- Its heat energy, it doesnt disappear, but is simply removed from the oil, and its returned to the water, thus adding temp to the water/coolant system.

we run the stock cooler on the ZR1 hill climb car, and with out the big radiator ( not a dewitts, or even our current supercool style, but a race inspired 2 row with custom fin/inch like we use in the ALMS car, it was not enough oil cooler.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bobby @ LG Motorsports
The ZR1 cooler is inadequate unless you have a big radiator, and keep coolant temps below 200. At 260 water temps, oil temp is 280+

The camaro cooler is smaller, and the coolant block is rotated 90* from the ZR1. I would not use the Camaro cooler unless it was your only option.

With EITHER of those coolers, you will need to tap back into the radiator, or coolant return hose from the top of the radiator. It pulls coolant from the side of the block, and returns it to the left radiator tank.

Trini, what he is saying, is that the BTUs must come from somewhere- Its heat energy, it doesnt disappear, but is simply removed from the oil, and its returned to the water, thus adding temp to the water/coolant system.

we run the stock cooler on the ZR1 hill climb car, and with out the big radiator ( not a dewitts, or even our current supercool style, but a race inspired 2 row with custom fin/inch like we use in the ALMS car, it was not enough oil cooler.

Well, I guess the real question is this: Would the ZR1 oil cooler with a Dewitts radiator be more efficient than using the internal cooler that is in my radiator right now? Or am I splitting hairs?

My coolant temps seem to be very well in check with my current setup. I'm not a road course guy, but took a long drive through the valley to Orange county yesterday with temps in the 100-112 the whole way - which is pretty abnormal for SoCal. I got on it hard for a few miles up a large grade, and I don't think I saw any coolant temps higher than 215. Most of the drive I was seeing 198-202 coolant temp.

I would like my oil temps to be lower, though. With my current setup, they are always higher than my coolant temp after a thorough warm-up.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which makes me wanna ask, do LS3 camaros have an oil cooler from the factory? After driving two, I came to a conclusion - based on oil temps - that the car does not have an oil cooler, get on the throttle for a minute and the temps go WAAAY up.

I really want to know how to make this work as well on an LS3 camaro, so thats sort of inline with the thread.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one posted above, post 6, is a camaro oil cooler.

The oil coolers will certainly help, but based off our research, they need a bigger radiator, and potentially need a bigger oil cooler.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:34 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

The other big issue that no one thinks about is exhaust clearance. The ZR1 cooler requires a custom set of headers to clear the cooler. Its not a lot, but forewarned is forearmed
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
The one posted above, post 6, is a camaro oil cooler.

The oil coolers will certainly help, but based off our research, they need a bigger radiator, and potentially need a bigger oil cooler.
I already have the bigger radiator - though I'm sure not as big as what you run in your race cars.

The other big issue that no one thinks about is exhaust clearance. The ZR1 cooler requires a custom set of headers to clear the cooler. Its not a lot, but forewarned is forearmed
That would be a deal breaker for me. I didn't realize ZR1s required different headers than an early Z06 or standard C6. I'd guess the 2011+ Z's need a different header than earlier cars as well since they use the ZR1 cooler?

I have a set of your 1.75" Super Pros on my car, FWIW.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

I have a ZR1 jig and your headers do fit in there with about 1/2" of clearance, so you should be fine.

If you totally had to delete your oil cooler, the LS9, even the camaro cooler is a step in the right direction from where you are now.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:39 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

If you wanted to get creative, using your stock lines and cooler mount it in bumper behind the fog light. It was take a little fab work for a bracket though. Just a suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To LS9 oil cooler for LS2/3 blower cars?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

I have a ZR1 jig and your headers do fit in there with about 1/2" of clearance, so you should be fine.

If you totally had to delete your oil cooler, the LS9, even the camaro cooler is a step in the right direction from where you are now.
Thanks. I did remove my factory z51 cooler, but replaced it with a Dewitts radiator with built in oil cooler. Just doesn't seem as effective as my factory setup was.

What are your thoughts on a ls9 cooler VS what I have right now?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 PM
thekid96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the heat exchanger from my LS3 Camaro available if you decide to go that route.
Originally Posted by Streetk14
Thanks. I did remove my factory z51 cooler, but replaced it with a Dewitts radiator with built in oil cooler. Just doesn't seem as effective as my factory setup was.

What are your thoughts on a ls9 cooler VS what I have right now?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

bump.

Because I'm interested in installing the LS9 cooler on my 2009 LS7, with the Z07 radiator or DeWitts radiator.

Quick Reply: LS9 oil cooler for LS2/3 blower cars?