C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS Universal Turbo Kit Install Cost Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Blevinator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Universal Turbo Kit Install Cost Please Help!!

Hello,
I have a '68 Camaro I am putting an LS3 in with a T56.
I just bought Longtubes, mufflers, and 3" exhaust kit for the car.

I am sure I am going forced induction, as I am looking at getting into the ten second zone.

I was looking at the STS turbo universal kits at $1995 and $2995. Even with all the upgrades,less injectors and fuel pump (pump I am buying anyway), I am looking at 3000 and 4000 respectively.
Injectors can be had for probably $300. So $3300 (single turbo) and $4300 twin turbo. The kit comes with some piping and silicone elbows\connectors.

My question is this:
The bolt on twin turbo kits are $8500
The only difference I can see between the universal and the bolt on kit is the piping to connect it up.
STS says the universal will cost near the same as the bolt on kits, once piping is finished?
It almost seems like you can buy controlling interest in a muffler shop for the $4200 difference between the universal kit and the bolt on kit.

Can anyone shed some light on actual cost of piping to finish something like this? I cant see Mom and Pop muffler shop in San Antonio Texas charging this much for fabbing up the piping?
Any real cost analysis out there?

I can sell my exhaust for about 1k and just use factory manifolds. Wont need a cold air kit either, so very intrigued here!

Please spare me on the STS kit being trash, I dont believe it. Too much real world proof says its not. I am willing to spend the money to find out
Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:58 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i didn't know they had a kit for 68 camaro....any ways, depending on the application, bending the pipes could take some time to get them right..how much time is the question and how nice of a job do you want. personally , i would put one on my z except i believe it will be louder than i am willing to live with...

and do you really believe a mom and pop exhaust shop is gonna be able to or willing to do it? sounds more custom fab shop job to me
Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

A '68 Camaro weighs little if any more than a C6. Lots of C6's running 10's without F/I. You're starting with an LS3. Just sayin'. Lots of room in the engine bay of a Gen I Camaro. Have you considered a front mount turbo? That takes an oil pump and lots of plumbing out of the equation.

I'm more than a little jealous of your project. The wife's '69 Camaro came real close to getting an LS2 instead of the Gen I 406 (with a phukin' carb I've forgetten how to work on) it has now. She insisted on an auto tranny, but has since declared, "A 6speed sure would be fun in this car". Dammit...
Old 02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Blevinator
Pro

Originally Posted by RFZ
i didn't know they had a kit for 68 camaro....any ways, depending on the application, bending the pipes could take some time to get them right..how much time is the question and how nice of a job do you want. personally , i would put one on my z except i believe it will be louder than i am willing to live with...

and do you really believe a mom and pop exhaust shop is gonna be able to or willing to do it? sounds more custom fab shop job to me
Any decent exhaust shop can follow a pre bent wire to form a pipe.
I would install it myself
Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Blevinator
Pro

Originally Posted by old motorhead
A '68 Camaro weighs little if any more than a C6. Lots of C6's running 10's without F/I. You're starting with an LS3. Just sayin'. Lots of room in the engine bay of a Gen I Camaro. Have you considered a front mount turbo? That takes an oil pump and lots of plumbing out of the equation.

I'm more than a little jealous of your project. The wife's '69 Camaro came real close to getting an LS2 instead of the Gen I 406 (with a phukin' carb I've forgetten how to work on) it has now. She insisted on an auto tranny, but has since declared, "A 6speed sure would be fun in this car". Dammit...
Have considered a front mount.
All about price.
Most front mount kits I see are nearly 9 grand.
I also like the fact that I wont have a red hot turbo under the hood.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Blevinator
Have considered a front mount.
All about price.
Most front mount kits I see are nearly 9 grand.
If you're fabbing it all up anyway, I can't believe a rear mount is any cheaper. They're doing some pretty neat stuff with truck exhaust manifolds turned upside down to mount the turbo. Nelson Performance in San Antonio is a pretty good source for stuff like this. Have you talked to them?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Pack Leader
Racer

You need to go see Mike Murillo in San Antonio and be done with it...
www.murillomotorsports.com/
Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the open space under the hood of a 1st gen Camaro... there is no way I'd be hanging turbos at the rear of the car.

Stainless Works makes nice turbo headers that should fit nicely.
I'd start here if I were in your shoes.
Upswept headers:
http://www.stainlessworks.net/produc...o-headers.html

Downswept headers:
http://www.stainlessworks.net/produc...o-headers.html

There's also alot of hybrid/swap turbo info to be found on turbomustangs.com and ls1tech.com.

Last edited by Dragracer_Art; 02-18-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Blevinator
Pro

Originally Posted by old motorhead

Car the motor came out of was putting down 454rwhp
Thought I needed like 600rwhp to get solid 10's?
Heres a link to the car
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ity-Camaro-LS3

Some people saying that to plumb it up, I am looking at the same price as a kit.
Does it really cost 4-5 k for pipe???
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blevinator
Would you rather have it at the rear of the car, next to the gas tank ?

If you are just looking for an occasional 10-sec track visit, why not just throw a nice easy nitrous kit on the car ?

That would almost guarantee a 10-sec timeslip (as long as you can drive) and wouldn't be near the complexity or hassle of a turbo system. You could easily add another 100-200hp for $1500 or less.

Have you considered a supercharger ? They're also much simpler than a turbo.

Keep in mind... a 10-sec timeslip is a bit more than just throwing money and horsepower at a car.
Just look at the guys that are only going 10.80's, but @ 145mph.
MPH is the easy part when you have the power... but the ET only comes with a good launch.
Low profile tires, stiff touring suspension, tall gears, stickshift, etc... all work against you.

The fact that the LS3 is substantially lighter than the 383... you have a major advantage in weight savings over the front axle. That will be a huge help.

Last edited by Dragracer_Art; 02-18-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Blevinator
Pro

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
Would you rather have it at the rear of the car, next to the gas tank ? Mufflers are there so think it is good. No plastic parts or wiring harnesses to burn up back there.
If you are just looking for an occasional 10-sec track visit, why not just throw a nice easy nitrous kit on the car ? Thought of NOS, but really want a car that can do it any time, not just on the bottle.
That would almost guarantee a 10-sec timeslip (as long as you can drive) and wouldn't be near the complexity or hassle of a turbo system. You could easily add another 100-200hp for $1500 or less.

Have you considered a supercharger ? They're also much simpler than a turbo.
Have looked at A&A superchargers, not one made for my car, called A&A.
Keep in mind... a 10-sec timeslip is a bit more than just throwing money and horsepower at a car.
Just look at the guys that are only going 10.80's, but @ 145mph.
MPH is the easy part when you have the power... but the ET only comes with a good launch.
Low profile tires, stiff touring suspension, tall gears, stickshift, etc... all work against you. Buying Slicks with high sidewalls for the rears at the track, Doing Speed Tech's Torque Arm Setup,Ford 9" with 3.90's. Trans is T56 with 2.66 first gear. Should be a good car on or off the track. I figure if Ranger can run a 10.87 on a stock (except tires) C6 Z06, I have a pretty good chance with my old school Camaro. LOL Also cutting down weight where I can. Recaro manual seats,17lb battery,lightweight battery wire,lightwheight wheels,etc.

The fact that the LS3 is substantially lighter than the 383... you have a major advantage in weight savings over the front axle. That will be a huge help.
Thats one reason I chose the LS platform!!!

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Blevinator; 02-18-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To STS Universal Turbo Kit Install Cost Please Help!!

Quick Reply: STS Universal Turbo Kit Install Cost Please Help!!