C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walbro 400LPH same as a stock C6 Z06 Pump? or what pump to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Walbro 400LPH same as a stock C6 Z06 Pump? or what pump to get?

Hi,

I have been readying last night about the walbro 400lph and trying to decide what pump to get for my C6 Z06. I came across two posts where people were saying that the c6 Z06 pump is actually a Walbro 400LPH?? or very very very similar. is that true?

is there a point of taking the stock pump and replacing it with a walbro 400lph pump?

I will be taking my tank down so I figured I will just get anew pump installed at the same time.

any recommendation on what to get? vendors are welcome to post too. would like an in tank pump. car is N/A with probably 250shot of nitrous. but I have a nitrous outlet stand alone so not worried about the extra fuel needed for the nitrous. walbro? Aeromotive? I would love to get an aeromotive but not sure of they have something simple to replace the factory pump?

Also where is the regulator located in the stock system?? because that s where my problem I think with mine now.

Thanks

Last edited by walhan_qtr; 03-22-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Regulator is in the tank. I don't think there are any drop in pumps that are much better than the z06 one. Aeromotive has the drop in systems but you need a controller, lines, etc.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unreal
Regulator is in the tank. I don't think there are any drop in pumps that are much better than the z06 one. Aeromotive has the drop in systems but you need a controller, lines, etc.
I meant which tank? Passenger or driver? Maybe save some labor cost if I know where is it exactly by droping one tank only. Is it in the fuel sending unit? That's what I have been told but couldn't confirm it here in the forum. So basically leave the stock pump? I have 2 the failed on me and this is now the third. I only want to switch to walbro to keep running E85.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

ok here is what I am going to do. just delete the regulator in tank and hook up the one I have in the engine bay with a return line and keep the stock pump. what do you guys think?? or should I just put in the Walbro 400lph while I am at it?

any tips or anything I should know before we proceed with this?? Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
GAMEOVR
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

The stock pump/sending unit is in the driver side tank. If you modify it though you will need a block off cap for the regulator on the passenger side tank so you will end up dropping both tanks as bad as it sounds but it's not to bad at least for me it's not. The new Walbro 400 is a good pump and even the E85 version is pretty solid. I have DW 300's in a Triple RSI Hanger, I would change pumps if the base of the Walbro's weren't bigger than normal. You could only fit two of them in one tank probably but since you are just going to put one in there you will probably have to modify the stock plastic bucket for it to fit in there. Hope that helps
Old 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GAMEOVR
The stock pump/sending unit is in the driver side tank. If you modify it though you will need a block off cap for the regulator on the passenger side tank so you will end up dropping both tanks as bad as it sounds but it's not to bad at least for me it's not. The new Walbro 400 is a good pump and even the E85 version is pretty solid. I have DW 300's in a Triple RSI Hanger, I would change pumps if the base of the Walbro's weren't bigger than normal. You could only fit two of them in one tank probably but since you are just going to put one in there you will probably have to modify the stock plastic bucket for it to fit in there. Hope that helps
Thanks man. yea I figured now since we will be doing a return system we will have to drop both tanks.

I thought the E85 walbro didnt come out yet?? also If I use the walbro 400lph I will only need one pump? why would I need two? how hard is it to modify the bucket for this?

I want this to be as simple as possible to avoid any headaches in the future. I dont want parts to fail on me LOL.

remember I dont really need the extra fuel since I will install a stand a lone fuel system for my nitrous so just a single pump in tank should be enough for what I am looking to do.

this is very helpful THANK YOU
Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 PM
GAMEOVR
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
Thanks man. yea I figured now since we will be doing a return system we will have to drop both tanks.

I thought the E85 walbro didnt come out yet?? also If I use the walbro 400lph I will only need one pump? why would I need two? how hard is it to modify the bucket for this?

I want this to be as simple as possible to avoid any headaches in the future. I dont want parts to fail on me LOL.

remember I dont really need the extra fuel since I will install a stand a lone fuel system for my nitrous so just a single pump in tank should be enough for what I am looking to do.

this is very helpful THANK YOU
So you're basically doing a new fuel system? New feed lines and rails, and a return from the regulator or using the stock feed as the return?

The reason I mentioned two is because I know you have been doing some crazy builds lately and forgot what the mods are to the Z0 so one pump may not be enough if you don't have an external pump or something to pull from it as well. But using that stand alone should be just fine and not cause any extra strain on the system. Using C16 or E85/100?

I'm sure the stock bucket can be modified as for how hard it is I have no clue it will be trial and error so be careful if you plan on keeping it. You're correct though they aren't out yet but they can be gotten ahold of if need be
Old 03-23-2012, 01:55 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

from what i have seen the pump is identical or damn close to identical... and the amount of power it supports would backup that theory
Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

So you're basically doing a new fuel system? New feed lines and rails, and a return from the regulator or using the stock feed as the return?

The reason I mentioned two is because I know you have been doing some crazy builds lately and forgot what the mods are to the Z0 so one pump may not be enough if you don't have an external pump or something to pull from it as well. But using that stand alone should be just fine and not cause any extra strain on the system. Using C16 or E85/100?

I'm sure the stock bucket can be modified as for how hard it is I have no clue it will be trial and error so be careful if you plan on keeping it. You're correct though they aren't out yet but they can be gotten ahold of if need be
I already have aeromtoive fuel rails and fuel regulator that I am currently using as a fuel pressure gauge lol. so I figured I will just get a new feed line (-8an) and use the stock line as a return and delete the regulator in tanks. because I think the regulator is bad (currently the car is at 70psi at idle and its misses up my tune since it was tuned at ~58psi!)

so I was thinking since I will be pulling the tanks to fix that, might as well just delete the regulator and use the show only regulator I have installed on my engine bay and hook up a return line. and then just put in a walbro 400lph!

I already have the regulator and the fuel rails

the Z06 is currently at 615whp. its 441ci Heads/Cam/Intake/Bolt-ons. at sea-level it will probably be around 650-660whp so the stock pump should be fine at that power level??

Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
from what i have seen the pump is identical or damn close to identical... and the amount of power it supports would backup that theory
Thanks Ryne. how hard was it to modify the bucket to fit the walbro 400? in your opinion would you do it or just keep the stock pump and avoid the headache of modifying the bucket for the walbro? Thanks

also the regulator is separate right? its not somehow hooked up with the pump? so I can delete it and still use the stock fuel pump if I want??
Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
0Aeromotive Fuel Systems
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking to delete the factory regulators in the vehicle use these.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C78

By moving the regulator to the front of the vehicle you will extend the HP the system can support. How much HP that is......I couldn't tell you but you will be moving in the right direction.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Aeromotive Fuel Systems
If you are looking to delete the factory regulators in the vehicle use these.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C78

By moving the regulator to the front of the vehicle you will extend the HP the system can support. How much HP that is......I couldn't tell you but you will be moving in the right direction.

Thanks a lot for the link and info. I wish you guys had a pump that is a simple drop in. I would have def bought one. the A1000 is too much pump for my setup. unless I cancel the stand alone system!? but I have been told the stand a lone will be a better option than using a big pump that will have a distribution for the nitrous. something about it being no consentant? any input on this?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

never mind.... thinking about it now, I will need a controller, probably all new lines...etc it will be more expensive and kinda overkill for my needs especially now since I already bought the nitrous outlet dedicated fuel system.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
Thanks Ryne. how hard was it to modify the bucket to fit the walbro 400? in your opinion would you do it or just keep the stock pump and avoid the headache of modifying the bucket for the walbro? Thanks

also the regulator is separate right? its not somehow hooked up with the pump? so I can delete it and still use the stock fuel pump if I want??
i was going to modify my bucket for a walbro 400, but when i opened up the factory bucket i found that the pump appeared identical to the walbro 400, so i just put it back together

here is the stock c6 z06 pump compared to a stock c6 pump

here is a walbro 400........ looks the same to me.....
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

ok I just ordered those block offs for the regulator and ordered a -8an line for my feed. I will use the stock feed line for the return.

I will try to see if I can get an E85 pump on monday somehow. if yes then great that what I will get. if Not I will just buy the reg walbro 400lph. not sure yet to who to talk to or where to get it from but hopefully I will find out before monday.

I will use C16 in the stand alone. i was thinking about using E85 (coz I already have the jets for it) but then decided not to because It will not last as long as C16 especially that I will be running 250-300shots. I dont know how many 1/4 runs I can get with 1 gallon of E85?? do you know? I would rather just use E85 really since its cheaper, but I also would hate to keep filling this every 2 runs or so? plus C16 is higher octane so probably safer for my motor....... I dont know really.

I will need to do a little more reading in the next day or two. I need to have the car ready by April 5th to tune it as I am going to the track on the 7th. so....
Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
i was going to modify my bucket for a walbro 400, but when i opened up the factory bucket i found that the pump appeared identical to the walbro 400, so i just put it back together

here is the stock c6 z06 pump compared to a stock c6 pump

here is a walbro 400........ looks the same to me.....
Thanks Ryne... yea looks similar but I dont know. I will just get it and try it out. I mean I am doing it anyway.... maybe test it out for other forum members if none have ever done it before.....

Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess thats a question I need to ask, has anybody ever done it before?? how hard was it and whats all involved in doing what i am trying to do?? other than modifying the bucket? any tips or any info, pictures, or anything I can use would be really appreciated. I would really like to cut corners and avoid doing any mistakes that someone else might have done to save time and money........

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Walbro 400LPH same as a stock C6 Z06 Pump? or what pump to get?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

after some reading, looks like n one knows when those new E85 walbros are coming out... so I will go ahead and order the regular 400lph. hopefully I wont regret doing this

if anyone have any tips or an info we can use to expedite this process and make sure we get it right the first time, it would be really appreciated........
Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Just a quick update. put the new walbro 400 in and did a return system. a new -8an as my feed line and used the stock feed line as my return line. we used LPE block offs, Aeromotive regulator and fuel rails. The bucket itself didnt need any modification for the walbro. except for the line that goes to the pump since the walbro was kinda the opposite of the stock pump.

I have been testing it for 5-6days now and it seems like there is no problems. I cant tell if there is any difference since I never ran out of fuel on the stock pump.

Thanks for all the help you guys provided. I will keep you updated on how long this pump lives. on my car and from the great luck I have been having, I dont see it living very long lol
Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM
ashanson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Walbro 450 is available: http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...roductid=24456

I'm tempted to try this if my stock Z06 pump can't keep up at 700rwhp.

Quick Reply: Walbro 400LPH same as a stock C6 Z06 Pump? or what pump to get?