C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EOC with TT Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default EOC with TT Kit?

Can you fit the Z06 EOC (external oil cooler) onto an APS set-up (non Z51) car?

Two concerns:
1) space between the block and the turbine housing that may preclude installation of the Z06 EOC hose manifold to the side of the block above the oil filter. Will it fit?

2) space between the condensor and the backside of the twin ICs to mount the Z06 EOC. Considered the following options: moving the ICs forward elongating / custom mount brackets, moving the radiator / condensor package aft in the car no make space between the ICs and the condensor, mounting the EOC flat (parallel to the ground) in the space between the radiator and the aft edge of the bumper, or mounting the EOC flat (parallel to the ground) behind the radiator.

Anyone crossed this bridge? I would really like to incorporate the EOC on this car to help with the upcoming elevated summer temperatures.

TIA!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Toxic-evo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Do u have a base c6?? Is it a base aps kit?? Garrett turbos internally gated??

If yes to all these. Just add a front mount oil cooler. Get the sand which plate that goes between pan and filter. And do that.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Toxic-evo
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

The aps z06 kit moved the cooler in between the Ic on the turbo kit
Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I looked into putting an oil cooler between the two intercooler, but because I have a Z51, I replaced the stock fan with a dual Spal fan setup on the Z51 radiator.

BJK
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Toxic-evo
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

Sounds like more work. But can u put a z06 rad and fans in.

So u have a base aps c6 kit???
Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Toxic-evo
Do u have a base c6?? Is it a base aps kit?? Garrett turbos internally gated??

If yes to all these. Just add a front mount oil cooler. Get the sand which plate that goes between pan and filter. And do that.
Base C6. Garret 3871s. I am not sure what you are calling front mount that goes between the pan and filter. Maybe you are referencing the aftermarket ones that take oil from between the block and the filter? IDK??

The aps z06 kit moved the cooler in between the Ic on the turbo kit
Did it move the factory Z06 EOC vertical between the two (2) ICs? Or was it a special design one that APS supplied that was mounted vertical between the ICs?

Sounds like more work. But can u put a z06 rad and fans in.

So u have a base aps c6 kit???
Base C6. I am told that the Z06 rad and fans are same as what I already have in place. It is really the oil that I am trying to add volume and bring temps down.

Thanks for all of the comments. Additional thoughts???
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
I looked into putting an oil cooler between the two intercooler, but because I have a Z51, I replaced the stock fan with a dual Spal fan setup on the Z51 radiator.
BJK
Did the additional fan movement bring the coolant and oil temps down? With an '07 Z51, you still have the IOC munted in the rad tank, so I would suspect that anything you can do to decrease coolant temps would aide in reducinging oil temps.

Unfortunately, with my car being base (no IOC), this change would not help my situation. But thanks for the suggestion.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:25 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AKS Racing
Did the additional fan movement bring the coolant and oil temps down? With an '07 Z51, you still have the IOC munted in the rad tank, so I would suspect that anything you can do to decrease coolant temps would aide in reducinging oil temps.

Unfortunately, with my car being base (no IOC), this change would not help my situation. But thanks for the suggestion.

Keep the ideas coming!
The dual fans are supposed to increase air flow by 40%.(http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...-radiator.html) However, I have not gotten to the point where I can start the car yet as my new fuel system conversion has been giving me a headache as it is pumping all the fuel out of the driver side tank to the passenger side tank........it's supposed to be the other way around.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...tank-when.html

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 04-11-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Toxic-evo
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

U and I are on same page. But your filter screws into your pan. Not your block. So it goes between pan and filter

Yes aps sold one with the z06 kit. Got at aps site and look at the z06 kit. Idk if that can shed some light for you.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

I am really considering the potential to mount either forward or aft of the radiator / condensor package, but to lay flat (parallel to the ground). Based on the information that I have gathered, there seems to be considerable airflow coming upward from below the car.

As an added benefit, this means not having another heat source in the line of the ICs, condensor and radiator airflow. Seems like a good concept to me.

But will only know once the idea is put into practice...
Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

PPL I know that have changed up the APS kits or had the base kit just used the Katech oil cooler distribution block and just relocated it to either side of the front behind the fog lights. Works fine haven't had any issues with lack of air flow etc... Planning on doing it to my car in the future after the event I'm trying to make etc... GL! I'm sure you will figure it out.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am really considering the potential to mount either forward or aft of the radiator / condensor package, but to lay flat (parallel to the ground). Based on the information that I have gathered, there seems to be considerable airflow coming upward from below the car.

As an added benefit, this means not having another heat source in the line of the ICs, condensor and radiator airflow. Seems like a good concept to me.

But will only know once the idea is put into practice...
I fabricated my own brackets and mounted the Z06 cooler exactly where you describe....and yes the cooler functions nearly as efficiently in that position.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Six-Gun-Todd
I fabricated my own brackets and mounted the Z06 cooler exactly where you describe....and yes the cooler functions nearly as efficiently in that position.
picture please?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Forward or aft of the radiator / condensor package?

Any pics? What level of drops did you see in the oil temps or the delta between coolant yemp and oil temp?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ive thought about putting my EOC parallel with the ground behind the radiator but there is a "hump" on the cradle right there. I was wondering if that "hump" could be cut off.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 383
Ive thought about putting my EOC parallel with the ground behind the radiator but there is a "hump" on the cradle right there. I was wondering if that "hump" could be cut off.
I have cut alot of them off with the early surpercharger kits from Andy.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Drifting

What are they there for?

Get notified of new replies

To EOC with TT Kit?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Forward or aft of the radiator / condensor package?

Any pics? What level of drops did you see in the oil temps or the delta between coolant yemp and oil temp?
Aft of the radiator parallel to the ground....and yes the airflow there is substantial. The interesting thing about mounting the cooler in that position is that temperature was identical to the front mount position.

Sorry...pics were on my phone and were lost when it crashed. I just used angle aluminum and the spacing was a perfect fit to the lower part of the cradle.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Drifting

Aft of the radiator parallel to the ground....and yes the airflow there is substantial. The interesting thing about mounting the cooler in that position is that temperature was identical to the front mount position.

Sorry...pics were on my phone and were lost when it crashed. I just used angle aluminum and the spacing was a perfect fit to the lower part of the cradle.
Did you cut the tab off or mount above/below it?
Can I use the stock Z06 EOC lines and cut them then use hose clamps on rubber hoses to make the bend?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383
Did you cut the tab off or mount above/below it?
Can I use the stock Z06 EOC lines and cut them then use hose clamps on rubber hoses to make the bend?
Tomorrow mine will be in the air, and I will see what all is involved to mount it flat (parallel to the ground) aft of the radiator. I fully expect to use the stock Z06 feed/return lines without cutting. The OEM lines rotate easily in the cooler, so hopefully this will not be an issue.

I do not plan to do any cutting of the cradle tab, so we will see. Unsure what will actually be required, but am hopeful.

Once this is complete, fresh oil change to Mobil 1.

Quick Reply: EOC with TT Kit?