C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM
D&C vette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Balancer ???

I now have the dreaded wobbling harmonic balancer. Just ordered a SC kit from ECS. Question, do I replace the harmonic balancer with an under drive unit or stay stock? I am looking at the Powerbond brand. I figured since I have to pin the crack, wait until start the install.

Thanks DL

Last edited by D&C vette; 04-21-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Quiky One
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by D&C vette
I now have the dreaded wobbling harmonic balancer. Just ordered a SC kit from ECS. Question, do I replace the harmonic balancer with an under drive unit or stay stock? I am looking at the Powerbond brand. I figured since I have to pin the crack, wait until start the install.

Thanks DL
Replace the stocker with an OVERdrive balancer. Will allow you to run a bigger pulley up top and decrease any chance of slip or run more boost. I like the Innovators West 10% personally.

Jason
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quiky One
Replace the stocker with an OVERdrive balancer. Will allow you to run a bigger pulley up top and decrease any chance of slip or run more boost. I like the Innovators West 10% personally.

Jason
Old 04-24-2012, 04:35 AM
ashanson
Instructor

I agree with the overdrive balancer IF your motor can handle the extra boost. Otherwise just get a stock diameter ATI balancer, Innovators West balancer, or something of that nature.

I just took off my underdrive SLP pulley for a stock diameter ATI because I installed the ECS kit. Very happy with 1000 miles so far this year.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM
jimmyb496
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Related more to the wobbly balancer. My engine builder and I talked about this recently. He said that he had been seeing some issues come out w/ S/C cars walking on the crank snout. He went on to say that its comomon that the balancers may have a .0007" press fit. After seeing the results of the wobbly balancer in other engines, he asked me to pull the balancer (before we put the engine in the car) then mic the crank snout and bore gauge the inside of the balancer hub (this is on a Super Damper). He would like to see a .0015" press fit. If we are closer to .0007 or .0008", we order a custom fit hub from ATI.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
jimmyb496
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
I think you'll be OK with the ATI.

In my past experience with them, they were always a little tight and needed a little honing on aftermarket cranks, but no so much with OEM cranks.
If that's the case, I should be good. I have a Callies Crank so it sounds like it should be on the tighter side.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Innovators West Over Drive balancer is the only way to go, pulley up at the headunit as needed, stay far away from the ATI balancer, they are junk...

http://www.innovatorswest.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Balancer ???

Quick Reply: Balancer ???