C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Ping with Edelbrock E Force

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Jetstream Blue Bill
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Valve Ping with Edelbrock E Force

So, finally bit the bullet and ordered an Edelbrock 1591 kit from the local speed shop and had it installed on my 2008 2LT Z51 manual transmission car. First issue was a coolant leak from a defective intercooler resovoir, which was replaced yesterday. Cleaned the motor up last night and then went on a "spirited" drive to verify they had taken care of the leak, which is verified as fixed now. However, during my drive last night, under load, going uphill with light pedal pressure, 2,300 to 3,600 rpm, I get a noticeable valve pinging. Prior to the supercharger install, I NEVER heard a valve ping from this car. The tune is the standard Edelbrock tune as I opted for the warranty. I have called the speed shop and they are checking with service and will get back to me. Can anyone add any insight? I thought perhaps they re-flashed the ECU with a standard tune after disconnecting the battery to install the resovoir without thinking but this is only theory on my part. 95% of the time, the car runs very very good, but the valve pinging is an issue. Comments are appreciated.....
Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jetstream Blue Bill
So, finally bit the bullet and ordered an Edelbrock 1591 kit from the local speed shop and had it installed on my 2008 2LT Z51 manual transmission car. First issue was a coolant leak from a defective intercooler resovoir, which was replaced yesterday. Cleaned the motor up last night and then went on a "spirited" drive to verify they had taken care of the leak, which is verified as fixed now. However, during my drive last night, under load, going uphill with light pedal pressure, 2,300 to 3,600 rpm, I get a noticeable valve pinging. Prior to the supercharger install, I NEVER heard a valve ping from this car. The tune is the standard Edelbrock tune as I opted for the warranty. I have called the speed shop and they are checking with service and will get back to me. Can anyone add any insight? I thought perhaps they re-flashed the ECU with a standard tune after disconnecting the battery to install the resovoir without thinking but this is only theory on my part. 95% of the time, the car runs very very good, but the valve pinging is an issue. Comments are appreciated.....

If they "stocked" you, you would have issues with the 2.5 bar map sensor, the fuel injector size and the MAF table and your car would run like crap. Sounds like a tune issue. Get your tuner to scan the car with EFILive or HPTuners and see where the ping is coming from. Ligonier PA sounds too far for a run to you!

Elmer
Old 05-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Jetstream Blue Bill
Racer

Elmer,

The kit came with the Edelbrock tuner. Can I "scan" the car and learn anything? Just curious, I'm sure the shop will stand behind the issue but I'd like to know as much as I can prior to taking it out to them. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Elmer,

The kit came with the Edelbrock tuner. Can I "scan" the car and learn anything? Just curious, I'm sure the shop will stand behind the issue but I'd like to know as much as I can prior to taking it out to them. Thanks for the information.

What do you have to scan the car? The hand-held SCT won't scan or record. I have EFILive, I used the hand held tuner to base load a tune. My tuner than went from there and fine tuned the tune. The SCT for my '07 was a proportional tune and lied to the ECM. It caused my DIC to have some really obscene information due to the lies. We eventually loaded a stock tune, modified it (MAP, MAF, Spark, Fuel, and whatever) and that's what I use now.

My current tune is a non-proportional tune and it runs great.

Elmer
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Jetstream Blue Bill
Racer

Elmer,

Is the warranty still valid with the tune changed or did you opt out of purchasing the warranty?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Elmer,

Is the warranty still valid with the tune changed or did you opt out of purchasing the warranty?
No warranty without the E-Force tune. If you change and go to a tuner to build a tune you lose the warranty.

Elmer
Old 05-16-2012, 03:18 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

If a car with an ECU that can pull ~12* of timing is audibly pinging, you're going to get a chance to use that warranty sooner than later.

You definitely need to get it scanned to look at knock retard even if you don't tune it. Then you could email that log to edlebrock with questions and perhaps they would send you a warranty approved tune revision.

I assume you're using premium gas?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
If a car with an ECU that can pull ~12* of timing is audibly pinging, you're going to get a chance to use that warranty sooner than later.

You definitely need to get it scanned to look at knock retard even if you don't tune it. Then you could email that log to edlebrock with questions and perhaps they would send you a warranty approved tune revision.

I assume you're using premium gas?
Chris at Edelbrock can view EFILive or HPTuner scans. Get it done as this post suggests to stay under warranty or just fuhgedaboudit and get it tuned by a tuner. BUT GET IT done soon! You are playing with fire! Ping and FI don't last very long.

Elmer
Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Jetstream Blue Bill
Racer

Yes premium 93 Sunoco only gas ever run in the car. Thanks for the question though.

Great avitar picture by the way.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 PM
yonson
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check the Edelbrock website and make sure you have their latest update installed on your programmer?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 AM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The edelbrock hand held tuner is horrible. I've retuned 3 of them,all of the cars ran 13-1 to 14-1 at WOT, knocked like a bastard(like yours) and on top of that the tune shut off P0300 - misfires .

Get someone to tune it correctly or you will try to warrenty your motor sooner or later.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Julio
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The edelbrock hand held tuner is horrible. I've retuned 3 of them,all of the cars ran 13-1 to 14-1 at WOT, knocked like a bastard(like yours) and on top of that the tune shut off P0300 - misfires .

Get someone to tune it correctly or you will try to warrenty your motor sooner or later.
+1.. Pinging is the "Death" of the motor. When its audible its technically of the charts in trouble.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Jetstream Blue Bill
Racer

Ok so I checked the tune revision in the car and it was 1.3 while the latest on the Edelbrock website is 1.4. I downloaded 1.4 onto a jump drive and took it out to the speed shop for install, since I did have a warranty with this system, I was reluctant to load the program myself. They loaded the program and I took the car out for a drive and the pinging is now WORSE than before. Technician plugged into the OB1 port and did some data logging and will send that off the Edelbrock for some technical assisitance. Anyone around Ligonier, Latrobe, Greensburg that can do a tune for me. I am starting to think that my speed shop is less than competent.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I agree.... We ran into the same problems...

Feel free to give us a call if you want a tune that actually wont blow your car up.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 PM
eboggs_jkvl

That device made my ECM turn in to a brick for almost a week. It took SCT 7 days for them to recover the functionality to my ECM. When the ECM was finally functional, we loaded a stock tune and started from there to tune the car for the SC. We got the information from Edelbrock and changed the appropriate tables in the tune to set up the car.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 05-22-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

?Valve ping? I have not heard that term before. Maybe pre-ignition/spark knock?

Anyhow, I find it funny that the guys who are condemning the calibration have not even seen the car much less driven it nor logged any data. Even funnier that they all have something to sell you to fix your problem!

Is the car 100% stock other than the supercharger?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Jetstream Blue Bill
Racer

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
?Valve ping? I have not heard that term before. Maybe pre-ignition/spark knock?

Anyhow, I find it funny that the guys who are condemning the calibration have not even seen the car much less driven it nor logged any data. Even funnier that they all have something to sell you to fix your problem!

Is the car 100% stock other than the supercharger?
I guess the correct term is "detonation", or spark knock / pre-ignition. Yes the car is 100% stock other than the supercharger. Headers are next on the list but I am glad I treaded lightly (one change at a time) so I don't have to worry about what caused the issue.
I had a new tune put in her Saturday morning (the third tune so far) and still have the issue. 3,200 to up around 3,800 to 4,000 rpm, light accelleration, detonation is heard. My speed shop is working with Chris at Edelbrock. The shop called Monday morning and have another tune for me but my schedule is prohibiting getting out to them until later in the week.

Motorhead, you have alot of experience with this set-up, what the heck is going on? Any clue?

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Ping with Edelbrock E Force

Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Is this on an LS2? Just a question.

Elmer
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Check the cats. At least get that out of the realm of possibility. If they are starting to block up, that is a symptom.

Ask how I know....

Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Check the cats. At least get that out of the realm of possibility. If they are starting to block up, that is a symptom.[/IMG]

Does he have Cats?

Quick Reply: Valve Ping with Edelbrock E Force