C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting blower, keep MTI st.2 cam or upgrade?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 PM
TwinDmax
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default getting blower, keep MTI st.2 cam or upgrade?

I am in my final month in Afghanistan and I will soon pick up my newly purchased 07z. The car has 13k miles, a MTI st2 cam, mti tune, mti ported heads and borla exhaust.

Soon the car will have a Vortec T trim blower (just going w/ 6.5psi for now), water/meth, headers and X pipe.

With that in mind, what more would a blower cam yield? I assumed it would be better to do the cam work a few years down the line when I get the engine built but just wanted some advice from the guys that know this stuff a lot more than I do.

Other than the tune, I will be doing the work myself and I am at sea level.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinDmax
I am in my final month in Afghanistan and I will soon pick up my newly purchased 07z. The car has 13k miles, a MTI st2 cam, mti tune, mti ported heads and borla exhaust.

Soon the car will have a Vortec T trim blower (just going w/ 6.5psi for now), water/meth, headers and X pipe.

With that in mind, what more would a blower cam yield? I assumed it would be better to do the cam work a few years down the line when I get the engine built but just wanted some advice from the guys that know this stuff a lot more than I do.

Other than the tune, I will be doing the work myself and I am at sea level.

Thanks!
JMI that cam will do just fine.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 AM
TwinDmax
Instructor

Awesome! thank you for the input as I was worried about this.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

If you like the driving characteristics/manners that you have now, boost will only make it better. "Blower" spec cams can go very mild to stupid wild. A blower cam won't necessarily make more power than what you have now. A well chosen one can get you stock like manners and won't leave much on the table power wise. Some like a rumpy old school rough idle muscle car setup. Others (me) want perfect manners and good power too. The cam you have is there. Try it...you might like it. If you don't, swap to something you do like.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 AM
TwinDmax
Instructor

I don't mind the radical but streetable cam but power is the ultimate goal. If the cost outweighs the benefit (as in what seems like the case here) I am fine with what I have. On the other hand, when/if I I get my motor built in a few years, that is another story as I will have to re-tune anyways.

Thank you for the motivation, I can't wait to get back home finally!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

I don't mind the radical but streetable cam but power is the ultimate goal. If the cost outweighs the benefit (as in what seems like the case here) I am fine with what I have. On the other hand, when/if I I get my motor built in a few years, that is another story as I will have to re-tune anyways.

Be safe. Lots of options to sort through when you get home. Thanks for doing what you do
Old 03-03-2013, 08:22 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

:thumb s:

Get notified of new replies

To getting blower, keep MTI st.2 cam or upgrade?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: getting blower, keep MTI st.2 cam or upgrade?