C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boosted LS7 guys, need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 PM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boosted LS7 guys, need some input.

I've had the itch for more power for quite some time now in my 06' Z06. I got a quote from a speed shop for a cam, upgraded valve train and a bunch of bolt ons. They figure 530-540whp for about $10K. I am considering this option. I have always favored NA on the LS7 engine due to the high compression and thin cylinder walls. However they do offer a supercharger kit for the LS7. They do a Vortec supercharger and recommend running around 5-6psi and claim to have had excellent reliability with this setup. I am torn between the options. More power out of the supercharger with the bolt-ons but will I be driving a ticking time bomb? I do not track or race the car, just street driving with the occasional hard pull on the highway. What do you guys think of the Vortec kits vs other options like A&A (they say the Vortec has better "fit and finish", I have no idea). Or should I just run with the NA setup? thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Vortech kit is junk compared to A&A or ECS.

Nothing wrong with a blown ls7. Keep at or under 700rwhp and enjoy.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 PM
logan1080
Pro

What makes the other brands better than the vortech? The a&a kit uses a vortech head unit.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where to start....

Brackets, tensioner, intercooler, and radiator support spacers are all better
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

$10k sounds way high for a cam and supporting mods, at that price if it doesn't come with a "reach around" i would start getting quotes from other shops, an ls7 will take more boost than people think, start doing some research and talk to some well known shops to get you going in the right direction.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 PM
logan1080
Pro

Originally Posted by gregs94
$10k sounds way high for a cam and supporting mods, at that price if it doesn't come with a "reach around" i would start getting quotes from other shops, an ls7 will take more boost than people think, start doing some research and talk to some well known shops to get you going in the right direction.
Here is what I'd be getting for the $10k:

- initial dyno test
- high flow air intake
- fast 102 manifold and high flow fuel rails
- replace camshaft
- ferrea high lift valve springs included titanium retainers, hardened locks
- full exhaust including long tube headers
- 160 thermostat
- dyno tune

Labor is a fair amount of the $10k. Is that still too expensive? I haven't really shopped around as this shop seems to be the most reputable in my are and has tons of experience.

Also, good info six-gun-todd, thanks.
-
Old 06-22-2013, 03:41 AM
lilredvette05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah 10 grand is still too high IMO, here in Texas you could get all that above for under 8k installed. Im gonna have a A&A kit installed hopefully next month if funds work out right. Right now I have milled heads,cam,fast intake,etc.... I'm having heads swapped to lower compression, A&A kit installed and I'm looking at little over 10k installed. Not sure what boost I'll be running but I know compression will be 10:8:1
Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 AM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lilredvette05
Yeah 10 grand is still too high IMO, here in Texas you could get all that above for under 8k installed. Im gonna have a A&A kit installed hopefully next month if funds work out right. Right now I have milled heads,cam,fast intake,etc.... I'm having heads swapped to lower compression, A&A kit installed and I'm looking at little over 10k installed. Not sure what boost I'll be running but I know compression will be 10:8:1
what heads are you switching to?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:18 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by logan1080
Here is what I'd be getting for the $10k:

- initial dyno test
- high flow air intake
- fast 102 manifold and high flow fuel rails
- replace camshaft
- ferrea high lift valve springs included titanium retainers, hardened locks
- full exhaust including long tube headers
- 160 thermostat
- dyno tune

Labor is a fair amount of the $10k. Is that still too expensive? I haven't really shopped around as this shop seems to be the most reputable in my are and has tons of experience.

Also, good info six-gun-todd, thanks.
-
That's very high for very little gain - here's what I got for just shy of 14k

Stage 3 Cam
Ported/ Polished heads (about 100hp just from this when done)
A&A Blower with the upgraded radiator S3/ Vortech, 3.4" pulley
Stainless exhaust valves/ springs etc....
valve guides
Diamond racing (shorter) pistons for lower compression
Varraram Intake
LG Motorsports long tube headers
Lots of before and after Dyno time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Expected total power is between 750-820 at the wheels, up from 458 today. That's a far cry from your intended 540 also. I know I could get a reliable 540 for far less than 10K. I'm already 458 bone stock with no add-on's at all...so would it make any sense to get another (only) 80HP for 10K for me? Not really. That's $125.00/HP. That's outrageously high for a Z06 for the 1st 100 HP. HP per $$ is far less than that for the 1st 200-300 HP or so.

The 1st few hundred HP are usually the cheapest - and after that you get into the law of diminishing returns, but not for the 1st 80HP; those are the cheapest and easiest to achieve.

When I look at your laundry list for 10K...and getting in the (maybe if you're lucky) 80-100HP gain over stock, I find that the cost is very, very high and unsubstantiated for what you have listed. I could have gone headers/ cams/ valves/ valguides / ported and polished heads for much less than 10k, and gotten much more power than you will see without the headwork. You don't really need the exhaust either; you can use the factory exhaust with the muffler modification and save 1200-1500$. You won't get a single HP by changing exhaust, nor will it sound a whole lot better. You will only see some low end power gains by adding headers, which you have listed in your mods. CAMS without headwork isn't going to get you a whole lot of power either...

It's just my .02 cents, but I've done quite a few cars already and just find that you are not getting any value here.

Last edited by FastestBusaAround; 06-22-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM
logan1080
Pro

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround

Stage 3 Cam
valve guides
Varraram Intake
Expected total power is between 750-820 at the wheels, up from 458 today. That's a far cry from your intended 540 also. I know I could get a reliable 540 for far less than 10K. I'm already 458 bone stock with no add-on's at all...so would it make any sense to get another (only) 80HP for 10K for me? Not really. That's $125.00/HP. That's outrageously high for a Z06 for the 1st 100 HP. HP per $$ is far less than that for the 1st 200-300 HP or so.

The 1st few hundred HP are usually the cheapest - and after that you get into the law of diminishing returns, but not for the 1st 80HP; those are the cheapest and easiest to achieve.

When I look at your laundry list for 10K...and getting in the (maybe if you're lucky) 80-100HP gain over stock, I find that the cost is very, very high and unsubstantiated for what you have listed. I could have gone headers/ cams/ valves/ valguides / ported and polished heads for much less than 10k, and gotten much more power than you will see without the headwork. You don't really need the exhaust either; you can use the factory exhaust with the muffler modification and save 1200-1500$. You won't get a single HP by changing exhaust, nor will it sound a whole lot better. You will only see some low end power gains by adding headers, which you have listed in your mods. CAMS without headwork isn't going to get you a whole lot of power either...

It's just my .02 cents, but I've done quite a few cars already and just find that you are not getting any value here.

Good info, looks like I should start shopping around. I asked them about a port and polish on the heads and they said the stock heads have very good flow so it wouldn't be worth the extra cash. Apparently he is wrong if you get the gains you say just from that. When I seen the quote for $10k it definitely struck me as high. I still want to do the full exhaust, listening to some sound clips of cars with full exhaust and a cam, it sounds amazing. Some nice akrapovic sound clips out there. Quite pricey i know, but I do have the means to install full exhaust myself so I could save some dollars there.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by logan1080
Good info, looks like I should start shopping around. I asked them about a port and polish on the heads and they said the stock heads have very good flow so it wouldn't be worth the extra cash. Apparently he is wrong if you get the gains you say just from that. When I seen the quote for $10k it definitely struck me as high. I still want to do the full exhaust, listening to some sound clips of cars with full exhaust and a cam, it sounds amazing. Some nice akrapovic sound clips out there. Quite pricey i know, but I do have the means to install full exhaust myself so I could save some dollars there.

If they said there is no need to port heads then they dont really know what they are doing. Also they didnt quote you for changing the exhaust valves. That will need to be done with a cam as well.

Where are you located? We can point you in the direction of a good shop.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Z06-TT
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal

......... they will take more than 700. maybe not with the pull on the crank from the belt. i have head studs. and dual valve springs. my stock Z06 is making 816/843 at 8.5psi on twins.

but if he's at 10K, a little bit more and you could have a Rockn Turbo kit.

Hit up Howard at Redline Motorsports. they are a Sponor on here. he has some great stuff in the works. Tell him Devin sent you.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:02 PM
logan1080
Pro

I am up in central Canada so big name shops are harder to find, but there are definitely shops in the big cities. I always thought the one I talked to were supposed to be really good. PM me if you want a link to their website if your curious. I'd prefer to keep their name off the forum for now. Any good shops in the northern states you guys recommend?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 PM
lilredvette05
Racer

Originally Posted by C6 Curtis
what heads are you switching to?
WCCH stage 2 w/72cc comb chambers
Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 PM
lilredvette05
Racer

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround

Stage 3 Cam
valve guides
Varraram Intake

Did that include R&R of the engine? If so that's a bargain.. who did the work?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gregs94
^^^
This. $10,000 is a lot for a H/C set up. Exactly what other supporting mods did this speed shop include for that price?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 756 Likes on 513 Posts

A cam alone can make your car in to an animal. Cam swaps along with top end upgrades are the simple way to make you grin. Add better flowing heads and you will be up their in #'s and trap speed VS power adders.
NA is pretty cool....
590+ rwhp NA vs 590+rwhp supercharged... NA is my choice. Just look

Last edited by 123sugey; 06-22-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Boosted LS7 guys, need some input.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:41 PM
logan1080
Pro

Mod list is:
-Ferrea high lift valve spring package
-CAI
-Fast 102 manifold with high flow fuel rails
-Long tube headers and x pipe (exhaust wasn't included in the quote, not sure what i was going to get)
-Lingenfelter cam
-160 deg therm stat
-dyno tuning
Old 06-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Renazilla
Advanced

With those mods, you will be looking closer to 560 to 600 hp to the wheels. Just depending on your the cam you pick.

Just a example:
With everything you just listed the parts were about $6500.00 including the dyno tune.... I did the work myself. I just cut off the mufflers and went straight pipe!!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:06 PM
C6ZO6-2006
KaNDriZO6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal

my engine ls7 i spray 400shots get 904rwhp 2 years used no any problem

Quick Reply: Boosted LS7 guys, need some input.