C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Next Week! Should I upgrade my tranny/diff..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM
under_psi
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Supercharger Next Week! Should I upgrade my tranny/diff..?

Hello guys. Posted a thread expressing my excitement in getting my 08' manual c6 (z51) supercharged next week. I'll be putting in the a&a kit and expect near 600rwhp to start.i don't plan on going higher than that anytime soon, and if I did I wouldn't be in such a dilemma right now as I would probably go ahead and do it. Like the title states I am contemplating upgrading my tranny and diff all at once when they install the blower. Now before you guys say "of course you should upgrade!!" take a minute and read. I too am a believer in upgrading not just engine components, but drivelines as well, as they are both equally important. Always believe its better to have more than you need than not enough. However, I have already shelled out Pretty penny for the supercharger, oz wheels, rpi body kit, new tires and stainless works full exhaust that will be on the car. With my new expected HP level about 600rwhp, and 48k miles already on my stuck clutch, my shop recommended switching out the clutch as well right now, as I won't last long at all on the old one(i was told a few months at most before i start slipping, especially 3rdgear) I am looking at another 2k plus install now as well for a twin disc carbon rps clutch. So, talking with him today we got into discussion about the rest of the driveline. I am looking at the RPM stage 5 tranny, and the stage 3 diff. Installed I'd be at just under 6k for both (sending in the cores)...pretty good deal I think? However with my wedding coming up I'm having trouble justifying putting another big chunk of money into it. I won't be drag racing the car, and consider myself a medium aggressive driver...you guys think this is really necessary? At least for now? I'm sure ill end up doing this in the future, whether it been required because of a blown tranny or diff, or because I have the extra cash to spend. If I ever up the boost or cam the car I would definetly be upgrading the tranny and diff, so I'd like to hear your opinions for CURRENT setup only. If I did upgrade I think I'd go to the 3.73 gears as well from my current Z51 spec 3.42s...thoughts on that too would be appreciated. And my tranny...the MZ6 scares me as we'll, as I believe the are rated lower torque capacities than the regular manuals (non z51) sorry for the long post, but want to create a full picture!! Really need some help here...I know there is lots of knowledge to be absorbed out there...
Feeling overwhelmed...
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Jaycajun
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

That is what I have. Better do BEFORE you get married!!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm at 673rwhp on my stock LS7 clutch. It held on the dyno, not sure how long it will last on the street.

I drove it for 4,000 miles at 607rwhp and it held just fine. I shift HARD when I'm going up against somebody in Mexico.

I saw an LS2 car on here make 720's rwhp on an LS7 clutch. ECS blower.

Don't get the RPS clutch. If it's not installed properly it will go bad quick. McLeod RXT or Mantic would get my vote. I'm planning on an RXT with a steel flywheel.

Don't worry about the tranny and diff unless you are launching hard at the strip. At most do an ECS trans brace.

Last edited by jon6.0; 08-22-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Slo-Poc
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ecs brace would be good but as long as you dont dig race every weekend and dont have a super sticky tire on 24/7 you should be fine. If your ok with spending the money now, do it. But if not just upgrade when it breaks.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger Next Week! Should I upgrade my tranny/diff..?

Quick Reply: Supercharger Next Week! Should I upgrade my tranny/diff..?