C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I had been meaning to ask you about the PLX wideband

Any issues, complaints, etc. about that unit? Mine (Innovate Motorsports MTX-L) is giving me issues, so I don't really trust it at the moment. And I keep getting error codes, so it randomly just stops working, which royally sucks in the middle of a long log.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the PLX unit. 4.9 sensor and I haven't found any complaints about it..
Just as an FYI, I had the Gen 3 PLX setup and just bought a new Gen 4 kit. No reason for upgrading other than wanting the supposedly better and faster sensor. Haven't noticed much difference during normal driving and pulls, but the Gen 3 never gave me any issues.

If you want the parts I have for cheap, they're yours. The module itself is identical from the Gen 3 to Gen 4 kits. I'll send you a PM so we don't get this thread any more off track.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:31 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Just as an FYI, I had the Gen 3 PLX setup and just bought a new Gen 4 kit. No reason for upgrading other than wanting the supposedly better and faster sensor. Haven't noticed much difference during normal driving and pulls, but the Gen 3 never gave me any issues.

If you want the parts I have for cheap, they're yours. The module itself is identical from the Gen 3 to Gen 4 kits. I'll send you a PM so we don't get this thread any more off track.
Thanks! I sent you a message back

Scratch what I said though, kind of.. let me know pricing for the full 4.2 setup and then if it's any less without the sensor let me know that too. I'll probably have it upgraded to 4.9 software but it would be nice be able to go ahead and start using it for a little while on the 4.2 sensor
Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Thanks! I sent you a message back

Scratch what I said though, kind of.. let me know pricing for the full 4.2 setup and then if it's any less without the sensor let me know that too. I'll probably have it upgraded to 4.9 software but it would be nice be able to go ahead and start using it for a little while on the 4.2 sensor
I'd probably let all the Gen 3 stuff go for $50. That's the module w/ new harness, 4.2 sensor, and the sensor harness. Like I mentioned though, I cut the power end of the connector off. Re-crimping some new pins on the wires should make it good to go.

I kind of want to hang onto the extra Dm-6 gauge as a backup. Doesn't sound like you'd use that anyway.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:11 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I'd probably let all the Gen 3 stuff go for $50. That's the module w/ new harness, 4.2 sensor, and the sensor harness. Like I mentioned though, I cut the power end of the connector off. Re-crimping some new pins on the wires should make it good to go.

I kind of want to hang onto the extra Dm-6 gauge as a backup. Doesn't sound like you'd use that anyway.
That is a great price, but the more I look at that gauge the more I want one, lol. It would be nice to be able to take it on or off depending on whether I want it to compare to whatever reading I'm getting in HPT

Sp, I may just wait and go ahead and go straight for a new gen 4 setup.. I'm pretty frustrated with my current setup.. now the calibration on mine is at least 3% off from what I can figure when comparing it to the NB's. I guess at least I didn't get any errors today.. It's really frustrating when I spent a few hours today driving around to get a bunch of data, only to find that it's wrong. I guess I could just offset it all by 3% and try to use it anyways.

Oh well, at least I got a few overly rich WOT runs in today That's always fun.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:15 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I tested the car for a little bit again yesterday with some further tweaks to the tune and a new pair of NT05R drag radials. It hooks a little better now. I can actually get it to hook in 3rd now. 1st and 2nd are still a problem though.
From what I saw on the Dashlogic, it looks like it's hitting just over 7 psi right at the shift. I need to do a log with boost though, so that I know for sure what it's doing at exactly what RPM etc. Kinda hard to watch that closely and drive it at the same time.
I'll report back in a few days what it does with the 90mm pulley I'm getting from Andy.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:18 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Glad to hear that the Gen 3 is reliable. I will probably just install the one I have along with the gauge in my truck, since I am also totally fed up with the unreliability of the Innovate.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:22 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CI GS
Glad to hear that the Gen 3 is reliable. I will probably just install the one I have along with the gauge in my truck, since I am also totally fed up with the unreliability of the Innovate.
That's the brand I'm having trouble with too.

It seems the original firmware they shipped years ago (V1?) worked great.. I read that they did something to try to heat the sensor up quicker and they've had problems ever since
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

That is a great price, but the more I look at that gauge the more I want one, lol. It would be nice to be able to take it on or off depending on whether I want it to compare to whatever reading I'm getting in HPT

Sp, I may just wait and go ahead and go straight for a new gen 4 setup.. I'm pretty frustrated with my current setup.. now the calibration on mine is at least 3% off from what I can figure when comparing it to the NB's. I guess at least I didn't get any errors today.. It's really frustrating when I spent a few hours today driving around to get a bunch of data, only to find that it's wrong. I guess I could just offset it all by 3% and try to use it anyways.

Oh well, at least I got a few overly rich WOT runs in today That's always fun.
Let me know. I'd probably part with the gauge for a few bucks more if you want it.

I used the PLX with the Dashlogic at first, but I liked how it worked with the DM-6 gauge better. Seemed faster and is easier to see.

You can set it to show lambda, which is pretty cool. I don't think many wideband gauges do that. Also has a response time and sensor life function that don't work without the gauge. I also like having my output free to plug into my HP Tuners interface. I have enough crap I like to display via the Dashlogic anyway.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Default *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Let me know. I'd probably part with the gauge for a few bucks more if you want it.

I used the PLX with the Dashlogic at first, but I liked how it worked with the DM-6 gauge better. Seemed faster and is easier to see.

You can set it to show lambda, which is pretty cool. I don't think many wideband gauges do that. Also has a response time and sensor life function that don't work without the gauge. I also like having my output free to plug into my HP Tuners interface. I have enough crap I like to display via the Dashlogic anyway.
Now you're tempting me!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:27 AM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I tested the car for a little bit again yesterday with some further tweaks to the tune and a new pair of NT05R drag radials. It hooks a little better now. I can actually get it to hook in 3rd now. 1st and 2nd are still a problem though.
From what I saw on the Dashlogic, it looks like it's hitting just over 7 psi right at the shift. I need to do a log with boost though, so that I know for sure what it's doing at exactly what RPM etc. Kinda hard to watch that closely and drive it at the same time.
I'll report back in a few days what it does with the 90mm pulley I'm getting from Andy.
Hey Sammy ... sounds like your having fun with your beast !!!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 08C6
Hey Sammy ... sounds like your having fun with your beast !!!
Yes I am! I have no idea what HP it's making and I haven't even tried to see what it's doing 0-60, 1/8, etc. yet (it probably wouldn't ET much better due to violent wheel spin anyway). But I'm having a blast (literally) making smoke and noise!
After all, that's what it's about, IMV:- personal gratification, no matter what form that comes in.
I'll give you the perfect example: there's an 87 year old guy down here, who can hardly walk and can't drive for ****, who just bought himself a new McLaren! I mean this old fool (he really is an a-hole) buys a car probably worth 1/2 a million, imports it here and pays Customs import tax of 40%, just so he can drive around in a 215+mph capable car at 25mph! He almost caused a crash the other night, right in front of me, by changing lanes without any indication, whilst doing like 20mph. But, I guess, it's his money, and he's not going to take it where's he's going (even if he could, it would spontaneously combust there!) so I guess he's filling his bucket list?!
BTW: The NPP exhaust probably saved me a couple of times now. For example, just the other day I made a quick blast on an open stretch of road and then slowed right down to the limit and then when I came around a corner just down the road, there was a cop standing outside of his car, with his radar gun in hand, obviously waiting for the loud-*** car that he'd just heard coming towards him. I cruised right by him in "stealth mode" and waved and went right by, quiet as a mouse. You should've seen the quizzical look on his face! I love this Jekyll and Hyde thing.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yes I am! I have no idea what HP it's making and I haven't even tried to see what it's doing 0-60, 1/8, etc. yet (it probably wouldn't ET much better due to violent wheel spin anyway). But I'm having a blast (literally) making smoke and noise!
After all, that's what it's about, IMV:- personal gratification, no matter what form that comes in.
I'll give you the perfect example: there's an 87 year old guy down here, who can hardly walk and can't drive for ****, who just bought himself a new McLaren! I mean this old fool (he really is an a-hole) buys a car probably worth 1/2 a million, imports it here and pays Customs import tax of 40%, just so he can drive around in a 215+mph capable car at 25mph! He almost caused a crash the other night, right in front of me, by changing lanes without any indication, whilst doing like 20mph. But, I guess, it's his money, and he's not going to take it where's he's going (even if he could, it would spontaneously combust there!) so I guess he's filling his bucket list?!
BTW: The NPP exhaust probably saved me a couple of times now. For example, just the other day I made a quick blast on an open stretch of road and then slowed right down to the limit and then when I came around a corner just down the road, there was a cop standing outside of his car, with his radar gun in hand, obviously waiting for the loud-*** car that he'd just heard coming towards him. I cruised right by him in "stealth mode" and waved and went right by, quiet as a mouse. You should've seen the quizzical look on his face! I love this Jekyll and Hyde thing.
lol, that's awesome (last part, not the old guy nice car part).. It seems every time I hit the go pedal lately I end up seeing a cop not long after. Trying to keep an eye on gauges + drive doesn't leave a lot of time to keep an eye out for cops either!
Old 05-02-2015, 02:57 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Just by way of an update, I finally installed the 90mm pulley that I got from Andy and tested the car last night. Had to abandon the WOT run though, as I saw the AFR hit 11.7 at one point with boost peaking at 8.0 psi. It does feel a bit stronger though. I'm currently waiting on a tweaked tune so I can run it again safely. Still need to install the BAP as well, so I will probably do that now too.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:32 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Sent you a PM on this.. I've got to get something. My current one (MTX-L from Innovate Motorsports) has a mind of it's own lately.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:46 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Just by way of an update, I finally installed the 90mm pulley that I got from Andy and tested the car last night. Had to abandon the WOT run though, as I saw the AFR hit 11.7 at one point with boost peaking at 8.0 psi. It does feel a bit stronger though. I'm currently waiting on a tweaked tune so I can run it again safely. Still need to install the BAP as well, so I will probably do that now too.
Install the BAP before jacking with the tune. If you only saw a .8psi increase with a 6mm smaller pulley, you might have a little belt slip going on too.

Played with my drag radials a little today. I forgot how quick the 2nd gear shift needed to be when going all out in 1st. The thing just pulls stupid hard
Old 05-02-2015, 07:39 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Install the BAP before jacking with the tune. If you only saw a .8psi increase with a 6mm smaller pulley, you might have a little belt slip going on too.

Played with my drag radials a little today. I forgot how quick the 2nd gear shift needed to be when going all out in 1st. The thing just pulls stupid hard
Hey Rodney. Good to hear that you're exercising the Vette!
I'm going to put it on the lift in a bit and install the BAP and Racetronix harness. Do you think that might be why its leaning out now?
I think I had better make sure that it isn't the problem.
I pulled one of the plugs this morning and the insulator was bone white. No specks of aluminum to speak of, but I bet it would have some if I kept at it with an 11.7 AFR @ WOT.
I've checked the belt for signs of slip (dust) but couldn't see anything obvious. I am going to order the GY Gatorback in the size Andy recommended though.
I know what you mean about running out of gear fast, although you're making more than 100whp than me, I'm sure. My car hooks better with the 345 Nittos too, but I still can't floor it completely in first gear and it will still spin them in second. With the 3.42s and the 3600 stall, it should be able to pull a good 60' with the right tire on a good surface.
With the stock GY runflats, it would almost instantaneously hit the limiter in first and then again in second, if I stomped it from a slow roll. Hell of a difference from when it was stock!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Yeah, you're going to put the BAP on anyway. Even if it isn't the culprit, you reduce your chances of chasing your tail changing tunes after the BAP install.

Local track was having a "pro mod" event. "Grudge" racing too. I didn't have any grudges that were current....but, I figgered I could manufacture one if need be. Bolted on the DR's and headed to the track. Paid my forty bucks and entered. Not a street car in sight. That's OK, I'll talk **** to a trailer queen, create a grudge, and at least I'll get to run. Have to get "teched". Drove around asking where the tech area was. Not in its usual spot. "It's over there by the tent that the wind blew down". Not a soul there. Asked some "official" looking woman what to do. She said I need to find the guy with the white and green striped hat.

Tried to find that guy. No luck. Finally got tired of driving in a circle and looking for a unicorn that didn't exist. On my way out, I asked the girl at the gate if I could get my money back. "Sure, you need to talk to the guy with the white and green striped hat".... Shoot.

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 05-03-2015, 12:10 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Yeah, you're going to put the BAP on anyway. Even if it isn't the culprit, you reduce your chances of chasing your tail changing tunes after the BAP install.

Local track was having a "pro mod" event. "Grudge" racing too. I didn't have any grudges that were current....but, I figgered I could manufacture one if need be. Bolted on the DR's and headed to the track. Paid my forty bucks and entered. Not a street car in sight. That's OK, I'll talk **** to a trailer queen, create a grudge, and at least I'll get to run. Have to get "teched". Drove around asking where the tech area was. Not in its usual spot. "It's over there by the tent that the wind blew down". Not a soul there. Asked some "official" looking woman what to do. She said I need to find the guy with the white and green striped hat.

Tried to find that guy. No luck. Finally got tired of driving in a circle and looking for a unicorn that didn't exist. On my way out, I asked the girl at the gate if I could get my money back. "Sure, you need to talk to the guy with the white and green striped hat".... Shoot.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:25 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Old 05-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

11.7:1 really isn't bad, but it's leaner than I like to run my stock bottom end FI motors. The thing about reading plugs (and you probably know this) is that you really need to take them out immediately after making a WOT pull to see what's going on.

I'd definitely get that BAP installed before anything else. It's hard to say why it was running leaner than before, though. I know your tuner tweaked the MAF curve for your car and the 96mm pulley, so maybe switching over to the 90mm caused this. In theory it really shouldn't if the MAF is well calibrated, but you never really know.

You should be making damn close to the same engine power I was last time I was on the dyno. Same combo with very similar AFR and timing. Mine made 550 whp through a manual like that, and I don't think I'd try that without a BAP.

How many times is this now that you've tried to get some runs in????????

Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **